What's new

Most Temperamental Coasters

Luca B

Mega Poster
Some coasters can change a lot over time, however there are some coasters which you could ride one week, and the next week the experience will be completely different. For you what are these coasters?
For me Hyperion is definitely up there, the first day I rode it, it was quite slow and very rattily, however the next day it was much smoother and was running a lot faster.
Also Nemesis Inferno definitely stands out mainly due to the rapid change in its speed every year. Each year it seems to be running much faster than the last and it also warms up a lot throughout the day which is odd for a B&M.

Snoo

The Legend
Some coasters can change a lot over time, however there are some coasters which you could ride one week, and the next week the experience will be completely different. For you what are these coasters?
For me Hyperion is definitely up there, the first day I rode it, it was quite slow and very rattily, however the next day it was much smoother and was running a lot faster.
Also Nemesis Inferno definitely stands out mainly due to the rapid change in its speed every year. Each year it seems to be running much faster than the last and it also warms up a lot throughout the day which is odd for a B&M.

To be honest, neither of that is crazy. Weather can play an enormous role as well as how long the ride has been running into how well the ride runs. I've ridden a ride first thing in the morning and bored out of my mind and rode it later in the day and was blown away. Tis be the nature of things.

That is also pretty common knowledge, moreso for woodies but for almost all coasters tbh.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I always had this problem with Nemesis. If it's running well, a front row ride is blisteringly fun and I believe the hype. On a bad day, it's meh at best.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The amount of Lightning Rod spite you have unleashed in this thread. Absolutely the most temper-mental, as Dollywood still has yet to get a reliable handle even 2 years later. At least KK and TTD are reliably down due to weather. ;)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I always think of Nitro when I think of this topic. Every time I ride it, it’s like a different coaster.

Also, Leviathan is so much more intense at the end of the day/at night than in the morning or during the day.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Mayan at Energylandia does it for me. I got some surprisingly fun rides on it (enjoying the good layout and forces), while other times it beat me up almost like a regular SLC. I call it the 'bipolar SLC', so weird how unconsistent it is :eek:

Coaster

Mega Poster
Icon, it absolutely crawls round first thing in the morning to the point where it feels like it's going to stall.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I used to feel this way about Saw, but I don't ride it often enough now to know. It's been **** the one time I've ridden it every year for... years. Anything with lots of trains/cars probably has a higher risk of varying massively in quality, I'd have thought. I know for sure that coasters I'm familiar with and ride often distinctly vary between trains. One of Vampire's runs significantly faster than the other, or at least has been of recent, but it's also a heck of a lot jankier. I think this is whats happening most of the time when coasters vary so drastically between rides - it's not so much the weather or how long it's been running that day (though these things do logically make a difference, especially a coaster being worn in, warm and damp... That's what she said.) it's usually just that you rode a different train.

I'd say the spinning coasters by default win this? At the Texan Six Flags parks, I rode the spinner at Fiesta first and it span waaaaaaay too much for me. I was ready to nope out of riding the other one at Over Texas and miss the cred because the idea of riding it again made me really sad. We left it until last at Over Texas so at least it wouldn't ruin my day. It barely span at all. Same people in the car. Weird.

Jared

Hyper Poster
^ One of the trains on Vampire is running a faster wheel compound to compensate for the winter running its doing this year. It’s open for Twilight Nights and the Christmas event.

Andrea

Roller Poster

The last couple of years before six flags ky kingdom was closed down the wooden coaster thunder run was always closed. I live in ky so i had always ridden it. Its reopened now but its concerning bc no maintenance had been done to it in all that time. Also six flags st louis mr freeze ride was closed on 2 separate occasions. Holiday world the legend was closed for 2 days straight. Oh and the mr freeze is also known for its rollbacks as well.

Well holiday world is like an hour away, Haha i actually worked there when i was a teenager. When I turned 18 they finally built the raven but until then its was basically a whole lot of walking for carnival rides. I get free tickets every summer and i didn't even waste my time this year but i did the year before. At that time, when there's only 4 coasters and the second best one is closed. It more just made me mad. Yeah I just went to their website and they did some major updates to the legend. I will say Holiday world is the cleanest, most on it theme park ive been too.

Please try to keep things to one post. Thank you. -GWAS

Last edited by a moderator: