Votes: 1 9.1%
  • ECW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WTF?

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Mike

Giga Poster
The late 1990s were a great time to be a wrestling fan, as World Championship Wrestling went toe-to-toe with the World Wrestling Federation in a television ratings war that would change the face of wrestling forever and bring in a ton of new fans, including myself, in the process.

Both brands had now-legendary names in their favour. The WWF had Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, DX, Undertaker, Kane, Mick Foley and more whilst the WCW countered with names like Goldberg, Sting, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Booker T, Kevin Nash and the nWo.

The question is, which side were you on?

Did you prefer the WWF, enjoying things like Undertaker throwing Mankind off the Hell in a Cell:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=569DaOPtHd4[/youtube]

Or were you more a WCW guy, watching Goldberg demolishing everything in his path every week:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXEjhAAsyoM[/youtube]

Alternatively, were you watching ECW instead (we didn't really get this in the UK), or did it all pass you in a big blur and you never really got caught in the craze?

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'd never have had you down as a wrestling fan Mike.

It's an odd one, I always remember Goldbergs streak more than I do the main moments from WWF, but I was also a WWF fanboy (had Austin and Rock t-shirts bought for me). My sort of era was TLC's at Mania with Hardyz, Dudleys and Edge and Christian or Angle/Lesnar amazingness.

Idk if you still watch it but it's so utterly dire now, specifically in recent months.

Iirc Pierre watches/watched/replied-to-a-tweet about it?

Mike

Giga Poster
Yeah, I definitely still watch it occasionally; mainly the PPVs though and I don't really bother watching the weekly shows other than reading spoilers and then checking something out if it sounds particularly interesting.

It's mostly a load of rubbish, although sometimes you still get the odd outstanding match (the recent Rhodes brothers Vs. The Shield matches fit into this category).

The first PPV I can really remember and the one that got me hooked was the 2000 Royal Rumble, shown on Channel 4, with Tazz debuting against Kurt Angle, the Hardy Boyz beating the Dudleys in the table match and the awesome streetfight match between Triple H and Cactus Jack. I remember my videotape ran out just before the main Rumble match, so never got to watch that!

I tried to get into the WCW, but it never really happened for me. I just remember getting immensely bored at Booker T winning every single week.

therick311

Mega Poster
I used to watch anything and everything with Mick Foley in it. That guy was my hero in junior high. I even read his book. Cactus Jack was his best character. I don't know how that guy didn't kill himself in the ring.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
When I was young I watched a lot of WWF, I probably watched the others too but WWF always stood out. Wrestlers like Bret Hart, Ted Dibiase, Hogan, Undertaker, Yokozuna, British Bulldog etc were constantly on the telly.
Grew out of it by around 15 though, haven't watched it in years.

I once did the tombstone on my little sis, I didn't do it again.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
I started out watching WCW (I was in the 4th or 5th grade). I picked up WWF after watching THE Mankind-Undertaker match on a friends VHS tape.

I enjoyed Goldbergs streak, but seem to remember reading about how he "lost" a match early in his career that WCW had to cover up to create the character.

I really enjoyed the Kane-Undertaker story early on with Paul Bearer. The orginal DX is tough to beat as well. The last Wrestlemania I cared enough to watch included the TLC match, which was the best match I watched live.

I actually preferred the cruiser weight story lines in WCW over the NWO storylines. Juvented Guerrero, Ray Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Billy the Kid, etc...

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I only really got exposed to WWF/WWE. I saw a few WCW shows in the final year or so, but wasn't really interested enough to be impressed back then. I've seen a fair bit from the attitude era of WWF, and used to watch a fair bit in the early 2000s. I did see some classic ECW stuff as well, although not until long after the company had folded.

Smithy said:
My sort of era was TLC's at Mania with Hardyz, Dudleys and Edge and Christian or Angle/Lesnar amazingness.
That sounds more or less like the same time I was paying attention.

Smithy said:
Idk if you still watch it but it's so utterly dire now, specifically in recent months.
Apparently it's slowly starting to improve. Apparently Vince McMahon got fed up with constantly declining ratings, threw out the script for Raw on the day of the event and put the likes of Paul Heyman and Dutch Mantel on story and booking duties. I've not seen any of the shows since, but the general response online seems to be more positive of late.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
WWF in the late 90's (and even the early 2000's) was amazing. There were so many unique characters and crazy story lines compared to the bland jocks they have wrestling now. It was all about the psychos with long hair, masks and make up - Mick Foley, Kane, Undertaker, Gangrel, Goldust, The Hardy Boys...etc. They were just so entertaining. (Or maybe I was just so 13 years old) In terms of memorable matches, the I Quit match between The Rock and Mankind blew me away, I actually found it more exciting than the classic Undertaker / Mankind Hell in a Cell.

I never got into WCW - it just looked like a second rate version of WWF to me. I haven't liked WWF since they got the F out!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I used to love wrestling when I was a kid. Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks are the only two I remember though. No idea what this WWF and **** is though. I've seen bits on the TV and it's just a huge pile of bollocks :p

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Perhaps my naivity as a young, brooding child made me a huge wrestling fan back when I was about 7 or 8. Maybe it was just that you could see "violence" at 9am on Sky One that had me hooked. Either way, I loved wrestling back in the day and was a big WWF fan.

The characters were interesting and complex, the fights felt like heavyweight boxing bought with so much anticipation and every event was majestic and unpredictable.

Then things went downhill. I cannot pinpoint when, but my last memory of the good times was probably when Kane took off his mask. That was an event not to be missed. I think that was shortly after The Undertaker took on Kane in a match of epic proportions.

I look at 'professional' wrestling these days and laugh. It's beyond terrible, embarrassing to watch and - I must admit - I laugh in the face of my peers who continue watching it thinking it's the bees knees. I shouldn't, but I do.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
delpiero1982 said:
When I was young I watched a lot of WWF, I probably watched the others too but WWF always stood out. Wrestlers like Bret Hart, Ted Dibiase, Hogan, Undertaker, Yokozuna, British Bulldog etc were constantly on the telly.
Grew out of it by around 15 though, haven't watched it in years.

I once did the tombstone on my little sis, I didn't do it again.

This word for word, except replace "sis" with "bro" and change "didn't do" to "did".

Big John used to be a wrestler and he taught me some moves once. That's exciting.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Ahhh memories.

Raw is War on a Friday night and Smackdown on a Saturday night. I used to be obsessed and had the sticker book and everything :). For me WWF was always so much better, so many great characters and storylines.

WCW always looked like a low rate version. Didn't it all merge into one corporation? I think this was around the time I stopped watching it.

peep

CF Legend
I only got to watch the odd bit on channel 4 so mainly had to make do with VHS recordings at a mate's house. I too was within the same late 90s/early 00s era
era. I only watched WWF though.

I was a huge fan of Kane and Undertaker due to the theatrics of their entrances and costumes. I also loved the Hardy boys due to their insane moves, just constantly flying all over the place

I used to be a big fan of the video games (still am to an extent). I've seen some recent stuff and yeah, it's awful now. There's just no characters that you can relate to, they all just look the same. Boring.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: Monday Night Wars

I was into it from like 2001-2004, even going to a couple episodes of RAW. I was into it when WCW was Smackdown, and they "traded" people after a "lottery of who went where. My brother and I loved The Hurricane and Kane tag team (was there when they won tag team belt first time) and then I saw one of The Rocks returns. My grandma of all people got me hooked.

We got a few PPV including a royal rumble, wrestlemania, and some other one. My brother and I went to a mall to meet Hurricane. It was ridiculous.

Mike

Giga Poster
I HATED it when they split the show into two separate rosters, and have always viewed that moment as to when the product really started to go downhill.

If anybody's interested, you can now find a ton of Attitude-era PPVs and shows on YouTube.

GeForce

Roller Poster
Bump. I got into wrestling in late 2003 so there was just the WWE for me. I immediatly became a huge Chris Benoit fan I loved to see him fight the pure wrestling skill and his passion for the sport was just awesome to watch.I always wore a toothless aggression t-shirt when I watched the shows. I also was a big fan of the Rock, and really liked Chris Jericho(thank god he got rid of that long hair :D ). I really liked the shows back then and enjoyed watching them.
I stopped watching it in 2007. With the Rock gone,Jericho on tour with his band and of course the tragic death of Chris Benoit and his familly, I had enough of Wrestling at that time.

I haven´t really gotten back into it since, the new storylines are poor and compared to the time where wrestling was great the product of todays WWE is subpar. I still watch some matches on youtube especially the older ones but the new shows 2008+ are just not what they used to be.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Loved the 'attitude' era - I never had Sky Sports then so I too relied on my mate over the road taping it on a VHS recording for me!

The whole DX Vs. The Corporation thing was the best story line to date. Also Stone Cold Vs. the McMahons was brilliant.

I thought they were going to go that way again with Triple H becoming the 'Vince McMahon' figure and Daniel Bryan being the rebellious figure but they've kind of dropped that which is a shame as it was building momentum. Why they've made Kane an exec too is beyond me.

They do get good storylines now and then, thought CM Punk played his parts brilliantly, both as a Heyman guy and then battling against Heyman afterwards.

The main headliners are piss-poor at the moment though and the other storylines just aren't interesting enough to make me want to watch.

I stopped watching before they split the rosters, and when I started watching again I actually didn't mind the split because I could just watch Raw and forget about Smackdown and ECW as they were ****. Now they've kind of merged back togethor and don't do the draft any more and storylines spill over both brands which I don't like.

Believe it or not it was Santino Marella that got me watching again in about 2007/08 :lol: