What's new

Mirabilandia |"DiVertical"| Intamin Water Coaster

andrus

Giga Poster
Ok, I'll start of by giving loefet the cred for notifying me of this in the "Dinosaur park" topic. After doing some quick google searhes I found these two interesting links:

http://www.miraforever.com/2011/06/...12-di-mirabilandia-sara-il-piu-alto-al-mondo/
http://www.theparks.it/mirabilandia...-s-s-da-20-milioni-di-euro-per-il-2012-n1030/

What is known so far:
John Scafoglio, head of communications at Mirabilandia, has said that the park will add a new coaster in 2012 that will be the highest in the world in it's category. He also hinted that the coaster will feature lots of airtime.
Another rumour from theparks.it claims that S&S will construct the coaster and that it'll coast ~20 million euros to build.

There are two popular believes on other forums to what type of coaster it'll be:
Either will it be an Intamin pre-fab which makes sense since the park has good relations with Intamin after the success with iSpeed. John Scafoglio's hint of of airtime also point towards this direction as does the fact that they teared Sierra Tonante (the parks former wooden coaster) down when they built iSpeed and that they might want to replace it with a new wood coaster!
The other popular belief is that it'll be an S&S 4D, which make sense if parksmania is correct that the manufacturer will be S&S. It would be highly unlikely for Mirabilandia to build another launched coaster only 3 years after iSpeed. The fact that Gardaland just opened a wing rider also gives Mirabilandia a chance to spite them with a wing rider of their own but with spinnig seats!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: New coaster for Mirabilandia in 2012?

Well if this is true, Italy is going through a nice little period; iSpeed, Rainbow Magicland, Raptor, the Mack mega coaster and now this!

peep

CF Legend

Yeah I've seen loads of different rumours for this one and the one that seems to get a lot of mention is a Mack water coaster over the lake. By the sounds of it whatever it is at some point it'll go over their lake which is cool.

I hope what they build is awesome, I'm a little disappointed by this years coaster addition in terms of looks (obv no one has ridden it yet). An S&S 4D would be interesting, not sure if it would be the best choice for Mira but it'd definitely be intriguing what they could do with that type of coaster. Another thing, all the other parks major coasters around Europe are already under construction, I wonder when Mira will begin their construction because they clearly won't want a repeat of Master Thai which still isn't open and yet was meant to be open nearly 2 months ago.

andrus

Giga Poster

^Where have you found out that it might be a Mack water coaster? Do you have a source?

I still belive that it's most likely to be a thrilling ride since they added a family coaster this year. Plus 20 million euros sound awfully expensive for a water coaster..

peep

CF Legend

^I don't have a source, like I said, it's just rumours on some Italian forums I've been reading, no idea where the actual rumour started. 20 million euros for a water coaster does seem like a lot but Toverland were meant to be getting a water coaster at one point costing them in the region of 13 mill. At the moment it seems to be too early to tell what they will actually build but with that price tag it should be interesting.

Nic

Strata Poster

Somewhere else is meant to be getting a "more intense" B&M wing-rider in the next year or 2.... eh?! no? Possibly too close to Gardaland, but it doesn't take too much imagination to believe it.

Whatever they get next, it needs to be epically themed and go in the New York area next to Reset. That's just crying out for a cred. If my scandalous predictions do somehow turn out to be true, then it'll end up pissing all over Swarmie ;) Bring it on!

Nic

Strata Poster

Only a couple of hours away. 2 1/2 according to google maps.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

But how many Italians would make that trip? I was told, in a discussion about theming to target audiences, that Raptor was an "intense" ride aimed at the neglected older audience. And when I question "intense", I was told that by Italy's standard it will be very intense. When you consider this park (I... refuse to try and spell it) that doesn't seem the case at all. So I can only assume this park is seen as no threat to Gardaland in the slightest, due to the Italian audience not being one to travel far for attractions. I could be wrong though.

Nic

Strata Poster

I was told that Raptor was marketed as being intense, but in reality was never going to be anything of the sort. It was described as being "family plus" in that it's kind of a family coaster on a much grander scale, but not really forceful etc enough to warrant being described as a thrill ride. In short, it kinda suffered the same mis-marketing issue as Th13teen, only not *quite* as monumental. I would say everything at Gardaland pretty much fits into the family/family+ category. Probably the biggest most intense ride is the SLC which, again, could feasibly be billed as "family+".

Mirabilandia has got Katun which, whatever way you look at it, is a **** huge, world class, thriller of a B&M invert. They've also got iSpeed which, in reality, (despite being utterly dreadful) is probably no more of a thrill ride than Raptor or the SLC.... but because its launched, the public perception is hugely different.

So, yeah, I don't really know what my point is. I guess what I'm saying is that, on paper, I can see why a thrill seeker would travel from Gardaland to Mirabilandia, but not the other way? I don't know though. In reality, that sounds ridiculous. Despite it having the apparently less thrilling rides, I found the whole experience of Gardaland to be so much nicer than Mirabilandia (I know, right! A Merlin park! hahaha!) so in that respect, I think it has a charm of its own.

Eugh, I'm just talking myself round in circles now.

Basically, I don't see how this is any different to someone down south going to Alton Towers for a change instead of Thorpe? They both have B&M inverts (one millions of times better than the other, but that's another story) so, yeah... why not?

Anyway, if this does turn out to be true, what do I win?

andrus

Giga Poster

Joey said:
But how many Italians would make that trip?...So I can only assume this park is seen as no threat to Gardaland in the slightest, due to the Italian audience not being one to travel far for attractions. I could be wrong though.
I spent a week in Rimini (close to Mirabilandia) last year and both in the city and at the park I noticed that the majority of the people were northern Italiens (ie from Milan, Turin etc) on vacation. So yes, I believe that Gardaland and Mirabilandia very much do compete. Do the Italians want to go to lake garda or to the Mediterranean shore for their vacation?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

If that's the case Andrus then that settles it, they are in competition, and very much so.

Nic, Re: marketing, that's what I thought/assumed until I was told otherwise.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Agreed with what Andrus has just said (just got back from Rimini this morning; I'm so jetset, I know), about the target audience for Mirabilandia. It's far from just locals. Rimini is basically the Ibiza of Italy; it's a beach/bar/nightclub resort, but with the majority of the visitors being from within Italy.

For that reason, I don't think it will be a wingrider. What's the point of adding something so similar to your main rival? They'd gain more visitors with something completely different than adding something that the majority of guests would view as the same thing, even if they do "spite" it by being bigger.

If it's S&S, a launch wouldn't make sense, given iSpeed, and I can't see the tallest 4D being built for 20 million, neither would it include lots of airtime. Obversely, 20 million is a really high number for any of S&S's other, non-launched models. Either the manufacturer or the estimated investment is off on that one.

Basically, from the park we have "Highest in the world in its category". Everything else so far is just rumour anyway.

peep

CF Legend

To be honest, Mira love their theming, the majority of that 20 mill could be for that? But you're quite right, way too early to tell at the moment, especially as fans didn't even know about the horror ride being turned into a walk-through until just before construction began in march lol :p

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Just because one park is a few hours away from another, doesn't mean that you only go to the closest one - that's just silly! Theme parks have a fairly large catchment area, and I don't see why Italy would be any different!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I had confirmation from the park this morning.

"Yeah we are planning a new major new coaster for next year but we cannot say much now..."

The question mark can be removed from the topic title now :p

10WaTT

Hyper Poster

Just joining in on the guessing game. Perhaps as they apparently have good relations with Intamin that it will be the tallest mega-lite. Nothing like one in italy, has the airtime mentioned, it wouldn't be that hard to take its record as far as I know, I dont know how much they cost but maybe under 20 million.

marc

CF Legend

^Dunno tbh the parks seems to at the moment not have 2 coasters by the same people.

I remember hearing that they will have Europe's 1st S&S 4D coaster, so I guess we have to wait and see.

Other people seem to say it will be the tallest coaster in Europe taking that record from Silver Star.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^ You mean the Big One at Blackpool.