What's new

Merlin Fatigue

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Calm down!

There's enough love for Thorpe Park on CF (look at the LC12 and Saw topics!) but most of us suffer from "fatigue" as we visit far too often. Thorpe is a good park. Take a deep breath.

Benson1997

Roller Poster
Sorry, its just all i see.. and i know its not a bad park, its in my books the 2nd best in the country for rides... so why does it get all the stick ? :/

Ben

CF Legend
Benson1997 said:
What is wrong with you people, theres nothing wrong with Thorpe, it might be full of chavs, but is it their fault!?
all i see is Thorp's S**t on this site and it really P*ss*s me off! :/

And i said merlin attractions? and ive only been to Thorpe once in about 3 years.....

Alright, love, keep your wig on. Replace "Thorpe" with "Merlin attractions" in my post then if it's inflaming you so much.

How about you have a nice, refreshing coke to calm down?

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Thorpe is a bad park (from my perspective), but perversely I don't hold that against it; Alton is a very good park, that is in danger of becoming a bad one - that is something I resent.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I blame petrol tbh, before I'd usually count the cost of tickets and any accomodation as part of the visit, now the cost of petrol has to take serious consideration too.

T0M

Hyper Poster
As I've said, the Merlin pass is a London and the South East pass really. Petrol is a considerable factor to me when visiting any Merlin attraction, particularly the London and satellite of London ones.

Jake

Strata Poster
Benson1997 said:
Im actually extremely lucky! My dad works for Coca-Cola and we get around 75% off all merlin attractions, so when me and my mate went to Thorpe Park we only paid £10 each! Also Coke pay for all of my dads petrol that he uses in the UK. So a trip to any merlin attraction does not cost alot. so really all we have to pay for is food :)

Which type of fuel does your car use? From what I've heard, Coke Zero is better for the environment, but Coca Cola really gets you going. Diet Coke seems to be more watered down, and don't even get me started on the lemon stuff.

T0M

Hyper Poster
^ Just made me think of Vanilla Coke, please bring that back!

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear you thoughts after a season of not having a pass, Furie. See how they compare and all that.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I get one every year as a Christmas present which my parents get with Tesco vouchers, so it doesn't exactly cost me anything so I don't have that feeling of needing to get the value from it.

I like the convenience of being able to pop in an out of the parks. I live in Southampton but my parents live in North London, so I have to drive sort of 'past' Thorpe, Chessington and Legoland when I'm going between. This is when I usually find myself in the parks.

I haven't gotten bored of the parks but I do find it hard to spend a whole day there. If I get to Thorpe at say 11 in the morning I'll be done by 2 for sure. But then when it comes to Alton I still find myself getting excited about going and always have a good day so haven't even started to get bored of there yet.

I know the boredom and 'fatigue' will come with time and I know that next year I won't visit a lot of Merlin attractions as I'd like to see a bit more of Europe and America and will be saving my money to spend on trips there instead. However, the Merlin parks still fit in quite nicely to break-up my journeys between Uni and home.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'm beginning to agree with Furie on this one.

I've been to Alton a lot over the past few years. It's one of the easiest parks in the UK for me to get to when I'm over in Manchester, and it's also one of the best parks in the country. I'm beginning to get a bit tired of the place though, as it's always busy whenever I can go.

Thorpe and Chessington are a pain for me to get to, as they're so far away from me, and require overnight hotel stays, so it's not worth me going more than once (or twice, at a push) during a season.

Add to that the fact that Merlin are trying to price gouge as much as possible these days. Price increases across the board, withdrawal of passholder privileges, adding additional attractions to the passes that I've no interest in to justify price rises... it all sucks.

I was originally going to drop the annual pass for this year and make an effort to do more visits to smaller parks I've not been to yet. However, between Jerry visiting Alton this summer, the Alton CF Live and then Ghosterforce, I've succumbed to buying a pass for one more year, as it's worth it. That does however seem to have resulted in the my plans to visit smaller parks going out the window.

Oh well, never mind. I'll probably drop the Merlin pass next year (at least unless they make it considerably cheaper or less restrictive), and focus on some of the alternatives.

Darkrider

Roller Poster
The price of petrol is having a real effect on the leisure industry.
I bought a pass for Blackpool pleasure beach this year, and can't get enough of the wooden coasters (something that's missing at Merlin parks) The Grand National and Wild mouse are on top form!!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I still find that thorpe and alton are worth a couple of visits a year, But I think I'd get bored if I went a couple of times a month or something silly