What's new

Massive water park for first Royal Caribbean private island destination

Offical_Pitchnoir

Roller Poster
Starting in 2019 the Disney Cruise Line will no longer be the only one to have its private island, as Royal Caribbean Cruise Line has unveiled the first of a series of private island destinations featuring a new water park with the most slides in the Caribbean.

Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas is the first of the Royal Caribbean Perfect Day Island Collection, a series of private island destinations around the world. In addition to the water park, it will feature a range of attractions including a helium balloon rides, the largest freshwater pool in the Caribbean, zorbing, kayaking and more.
More details on Blooloop here

low_1520894112_RCI-CocoCay-HeroOverview2-min.jpg

low_1520894127_RCI-CocoCay-FamilyTower-min.jpg

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I just hope they don't "ruin" CocoCay. I visited on a cruise a few years ago and really liked the place. And then I was on a cruise last November that was to stop there but because of high winds, we couldn't tender and just sailed past and turned our port day into a sea day. You could see the new pier being built but none of the slides or anything were visible.

Suck that the water park will be an upcharge... but I wonder how much it will be. Although I'd probably put out the cash for the observation balloon if it was in the $25 range.

Lofty

CF Legend
On the flipside of this being fantastic - you have the affect that this has on said countries. I was watching a documentary about one of these cruise line companies that have hired a section of Haiti, they give them an absolutely tiny portion of money that is barely sufficient each year and don't employ a lot of local jobs. There's a big ethical debate about whether or not it is in fact 'right' for cruises to do this sort of thing.

Obviously, The Bahamas isn't as strapped for cash or chance as Haiti, but the problem still stands.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
That would also be Royal Caribbean, they have a private beach in Haiti, a "resort" called Labadee. (They actually got in ""trouble ""in the early 90s for not specifically saying they were in Haiti. They called the stop "Hispaniola", technically not a lie, since that's the islands overall name ...but they failed to mention the fact you were actually in the country of Haiti). It's absolutely stunning.... But.... They They don't let any locals in... and all the visitors are not allowed to leave the complex..... And there's a giant concrete wall lined with wire on the perimeter. But you don't see that unless you look for it... And the entire time you're at the stop, you're pretty aware you're not seeing real Haiti, while technically in Haiti. I kept referring to it as Disney Haiti, the Haiti they want you to see ...the illusion of Haiti.

That being said.... Labadee is awesome... The Zipline is great...and they have a beautiful alpine coaster..... And one of the nicest beaches I've ever visited.
Zip

Coaster