What's new

Manta- B&M Flyer for SWO opening May 22

Ollie

CF Legend
Good video here from Attractions Magazine.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BolCQDIqCFM[/youtube]

I still can't get over how lush that watersplash is. The cars are super sexy as well.

Snoo

The Legend
I believe UC, Sky, and CP6 will be there today.. I wonder their reactions to jumpin on this bad boy.

marc

CF Legend
Are the seat belts on Air I can not remember but it look like Manta has none.

I do like the flow of Manta, and it really is quiet.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Manta officially opened to the public today.

I've been getting to look at it for several hours a day the last few days and I'm getting real excited to ride it (hopefully tomorrow). You can't really hear the train, but the screams can be heard from around the whole park... even on the lifthill. It's pretty crazy. The ride is beautiful, like everybody says. I wandered through the Manta exhibit yesterday and it was absolutely amazing. They've done a great job with the theming.

There hasn't been more then a few hours of no rain for the last 4 days (literally) so I haven't gotten any Manta blue sky pics, but hopefully I'll have some along soon. Looks like a great ride.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Just a quick note here, I'll post a more meaningful TR/PTR later, as I just got home from FL.

Manta is really, really good. Air was my #1 flyer (I'm only missing Crystal Wings of the B&Ms), but Manta has finally knocked Air from that perch. I've never loved the pretzel loops, (I'm cringing as I type that,) and while Manta's is definitely more forceful than I'd like, it's certainly not as dreadfully overpowered to me as the one on Tatsu.

To me, while the sensation of flying is done very well, but the flatspins really make the ride. The water everywhere is great, and there are some neat 'near-miss' elements. (I don't know what else to call the equivalent of a head/footchopper on a flyer.)

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
On the 23rd, I rode it a couple more times. (I love Florida; on three days, that's 11 times so far!) :eek:
At first, I rode in the second row - far right seat. On the wing dip, I got so wet! :--D
Second, I was in row seven - far LEFT seat. The waterfall got me then.
(This time the H2O was really flowing well --down off the rock.)

They have the full aquarium open now. What a great queue to wait in.
[ A note: at about 5:50, with rain on its way, there was about a 40 minute wait.
The wait time was shorter at about 20 minutes as I was leaving. ]

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
^ You probably saw me on your way out! Look for a Brian at Adventure Photo out front if you're back.

I rode it today and it's in my top 10 right now. The queue line and whole aquarium section is fantastic.. it's all really well done and makes the time pass quickly. From queue entrance to station it only took me 30 or 40 minutes. Definitely good operations! (3 train) As for the ride, it takes what I thought Superman lacked and filled up the gaps. The extra inversions are great as are the larger drops and more severe directional changes & all that. The pretzel felt more forceful then Superman to me.. I think that's statistically not true, but the force feels more sustained or something.. it's just great. The steeper lift is really strange too. Gets to the top fast, but also gives a great view. Of course it's smooth, although surprisingly it doesn't have the rattle that other new B&M's have had (like Led Zeppelin). The wing dip is the main feature of the ride for sure-- the main visual element and the main ride feature, I'd say. On the right side, I was able to stick my hand on the splash and got that side of my body pretty wet... arm and shorts and stuff. It was very impressive. While the coaster might seem short on paper, it feels long enough, even thought you seem to get off wanting more. I need to ride it more to get a better opinion, but it should level out in my top 10 somewhere!

zcl

Mega Poster
It doesn't seem B&M has gotten creative with the Flyer layouts.. They are generally the same as with most of their rides..

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
CedarPoint6 said:
^ You probably saw me on your way out! Look for a Brian at Adventure Photo out front if you're back.

I rode it today and it's in my top 10 right now. The queue line and whole aquarium section is fantastic.. it's all really well done and makes the time pass quickly. From queue entrance to station it only took me 30 or 40 minutes. Definitely good operations! (3 train) As for the ride, it takes what I thought Superman lacked and filled up the gaps. The extra inversions are great as are the larger drops and more severe directional changes & all that. The pretzel felt more forceful then Superman to me.. I think that's statistically not true, but the force feels more sustained or something.. it's just great. The steeper lift is really strange too. Gets to the top fast, but also gives a great view. Of course it's smooth, although surprisingly it doesn't have the rattle that other new B&M's have had (like Led Zeppelin). The wing dip is the main feature of the ride for sure-- the main visual element and the main ride feature, I'd say. On the right side, I was able to stick my hand on the splash and got that side of my body pretty wet... arm and shorts and stuff. It was very impressive. While the coaster might seem short on paper, it feels long enough, even thought you seem to get off wanting more. I need to ride it more to get a better opinion, but it should level out in my top 10 somewhere!
Do you work there? If so, great. I'm going to try to get there again on Monday the 25th.

I kind of like what seems to be slower "fying" just off the ground on Superman (SFOG and SFGAV).
I love the Manta lift, over the crowd. I haven't noticed any rattles on any new B&M's, but OLDER ones like Kumba are a little rough. (I can deal with that though.) Manta does seem a little short, and I do leave wanting more. (SheiKra is a lot worse for this; I have to ride it 4 times just to enjoy it.)

Sky

Mega Poster
If you ride Kraken at all on Monday, come say hi to Allison at Kraken Photo :p

Manta was fantastic... everything about the ride - the queue, the atmosphere, the layout itself - is just incredibly well done. It really fits the whole theme of SeaWorld really well. I can't wait to ride it more this summer.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
zcl said:
It doesn't seem B&M has gotten creative with the Flyer layouts.. They are generally the same as with most of their rides..

Huh?

Air is unique.

Six Flags bought 3. Over Georgia, which got the first S:UF actually has a slightly different track layout from the next two. Six Flags WANTED the same coaster, so B&M provided what they were asked for.

Crystal Wings is the same as the GAdv and GAm S:UF coasters, but it is believed that this is because Happy Vally didn't want to pay for a new design and/or was satisfied with what was already available.

Tatsu is Unique.

Manta is unique.

So B&M, when asked to generate a new layout by a customer, has done so each time.

So what do you mean by your statement? None of the B&M flyers has a layout that is the same as a non-flyer coaster, so that cannot be what you meant...

A

Anonymous

! Looks fun. I love the pic with the train just gliding over the water and the splash effect. I know its not really going into the water but it looks like it!

I thought these new B&M splashdowns are kind of stupid but on this coaster it really adds!

A

Anonymous

now i may actually go back to seaworld. just having the kraken wasnt really enough to make me pay for the admission.

orlando finally is getting a good amount of coasters so now its easy for me because i dont have to travel far

A

Anonymous

manta

This ride is fantastic! Miles better than air! The best bit is the loop,it feels so weird!!!!!