What's new

Luna Park Coney Island | Thunderbolt | Zamperla

hattmac02

Roller Poster
Heres the parks pov, the fisheye is a little disorienting but the ride looks amazing....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXXNzYqzaFw[/youtube]

Smithy

Strata Poster
Looks like it'll pull some serious g's from the pull-out at the far end. Takes the hills at some speed too.

bmac

Giga Poster
Rode it yesterday. Not smooth at all, the inversions all sucked in their own way. It was like riding a smaller, less retarded version of H:RRR.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
tomahawk said:
I'd like to see more of these.
No park will ever build one without major changes. Rough as hell and airtime is painful, not fun. What a PoS!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Someone I know says its utterly fabulous with Skyrush type airtime at the end.

He did complain about the restraints though.

It looks fab to me and I really do want to ride it.

bmac

Giga Poster
It had Skyrush-esque airtime, but I was in so much pain from the harnesses that I couldn't enjoy it.

Both the Zero-G roll and the Dive Loop take three separate motions, and the hangtime in the first loop is downright awful with those restraints.

Darren B

Giga Poster
^Those ridiculous loose hanging shoulder restraints are awful! The lap restraints are fine. Skyrush's restraints are as comfortable as the B&M clamshells in comparison to the shoulder restraints on this POS.

The shoulder restraints actually slip off mid-ride (one did for me) and it makes it slightly less painful for the airtime hills. If they removed these then it'll make the ride better (they're obviously not needed if they slip of mid-ride) but, the ride is still vicious and rattles badly through the inversions regardless of the restraints.

So yeah, the ride is **** ****! probably the most disappointed I've been in a long time after riding a brand new coaster.

bmac

Giga Poster
While Jerry, Ian, Darren, and I were out there no one else had their hands up or clapped at the end of the ride. We could assume they were hanging on for dear life since the restraints did have a little travel in them, lik B&M clamshells except they were hydraulic :|

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm in deep shock that a coaster from Zamperla, especially something much bigger and more ambitious than they've ever attempted before, has turned out to be crap.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Intricks said:
Someone I know says its utterly fabulous with Skyrush type airtime at the end.

He did complain about the restraints though.

It looks fab to me and I really do want to ride it.
I agree 100% with that statement.

It did have that "Arrggghhh it's going to throw me out" Skyrush feel to it. The restraints were awful and yes, it does look] fab. It a shame that it rides with square wheels.

bmac

Giga Poster
Ian said:
It did have that "Arrggghhh it's going to throw me out" Skyrush feel to it. The restraints were awful and yes, it does look] fab. It a shame that it rides with square wheels.

I'm pretty sure this:
SFGRAD-7-31-2009-Bizzaro-7.jpg

Rides better than those trains.

BBH

Giga Poster
In Jerry's pov video, I laughed so hard at Ian saying "That was awful. Ihave no idea how it can be brand new but so bad." Doesn't give me confidence in this one.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm surprised at how bad this is, but then it is Zamperla. The GP will probably love it though.

It's Darren commenting on how awful it is, but yeah, all us Brits sound alike ;)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
They really need to stick to flat rides.

They've done one semi-decent coaster, the mine train at Ocean Park, and that's probably a total fluke due to the space they had to work with.