What's new

London...

I think London is...

• A Wonderful place with wonderful people. Best place on Earth.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • A great place to be because that's where it's happening.

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Ok. I don't really have an opinion.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Unpleasant. Not a fan of our Capital.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • **** DISGUSTING.

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
good old fashion British male
That's a wind up right?

To be honest Darren, I've got better things to do than spend all day explaining why singling out 'white' against 'black' British is at worst racist, at best bloody offensive. Go play with the other kiddies in the park.

nealbie

CF Legend
Darren on page 1 said:
White British are now the Minority in London. Now, I'm all for Diversity, it's what makes our country great. But for us to be a minority in our own capital is appalling.

Read as: "I'm all for diversity, except that I'm appalled that there is diversity because the Telegraph told me that us White British are now the minority in our own capital. **** diversity, it's horrendous."

Dictionary definition of Racist said:
A person having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another.

I called you out on being racist, because in this case you were. Sorry. In a topic about whether or not you think London is a great place, you used that the White British ethnicity was not more than 50% of the population during the last Census as a negative for London. That there was a higher recorded percentage of the implicitly inferior by being a negative "everything else that's not White British", was, by definition, a racist remark.

Other than this I have no evidence that you are racist, but in this instance, you are. Simple as. I'm sorry that it offends you that you're racist.

FYI Ian, I'm not getting offended on other people's behalf. Darren's remarks genuinely offended me, especially considering my other half is an inferior and negative NIMBY in this case, as this is a discussion forum I felt I was in my right to respond - using facts - to try and provide the alternative point of view to Darren. Many apologies if it was wrong to voice my own opinion, and only Darren was allowed to voice his opinion in this topic.

Darren B

Giga Poster
I love how you find this offensive, yet you'll happily drive Mike around the country knowing that he constantly insults you to anyone that'll listen. Sigh.

Look, I'm not great at putting my feelings into text format, and I get that I may be coming off offensive. However, If you look a little harder into what I'm saying you may just understanding a little of where I'm coming from.

Darren B

Giga Poster
nealbie said:
Darren on page 1 said:
White British are now the Minority in London. Now, I'm all for Diversity, it's what makes our country great. But for us to be a minority in our own capital is appalling.

Read as: "I'm all for diversity, except that I'm appalled that there is diversity because the Telegraph told me that us White British are now the minority in our own capital. **** diversity, it's horrendous."

Dictionary definition of Racist said:
A person having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another.

I called you out on being racist, because in this case you were. Sorry. In a topic about whether or not you think London is a great place, you used that the White British ethnicity was not more than 50% of the population during the last Census as a negative for London. That there was a higher recorded percentage of the implicitly inferior by being a negative "everything else that's not White British", was, by definition, a racist remark.

Other than this I have no evidence that you are racist, but in this instance, you are. Simple as. I'm sorry that it offends you that you're racist.

FYI Ian, I'm not getting offended on other people's behalf. Darren's remarks genuinely offended me, especially considering my other half is an inferior and negative NIMBY in this case, as this is a discussion forum I felt I was in my right to respond - using facts - to try and provide the alternative point of view to Darren. Many apologies if it was wrong to voice my own opinion, and only Darren was allowed to voice his opinion in this topic.

Now point out where I've said that being White British make you superior. You see, I'd make this argument for any capital city in the world. If say Madrid was awash with Brits in 2050 and the Spanish became the minority, My argument would stay exactly the same.

nealbie

CF Legend
By not including other "British" ethnicity groups you have implied that they do not matter to you, it's all about White British and White British only.

If we change the statistics from ethnicity to nationality, you will find that 63% of London is still British, and therefore a majority. Happy now? Or do non-white Brits not count as Brits? ;)

mouse

Giga Poster
I guess Darren’s point is that due to its advanced multiculturalism London is losing its British identity?

This is an inevitable impact of migration and globalisation, and I don’t see it as a negative impact at all. Different cultures are becoming more and more integrated, possibly more so in London as it is a global hub and is very welcoming to different cultures. London is still quintessentially ‘British’ what with the Royal Family, Houses of Parliament etc, but it also supports a diverse range of people and cultures. I think it is very successful in that all these cultures are able to stay strong in the city while still integrating with others. I don’t know any statistics but I would guess that many capital cities are the most multicultural of their countries.

Ben

CF Legend
OK I know I said I was out but I'm wading back in because I feel this topic has moved more towards is Darren a dick or not (he's not, come on guys).

And I'm doing so to say I get what Darren is trying to get across. London IS losing its out-and-out Britishness. For better or for worse it is a multinational city, that's a fact, it can't be denied.

It's not racist to not like that side of the City - I love it, mostly cause it means there's more hot hairy European men around and Asian food. He's not saying he hates ethnic minorities or anything just that he doesn't personally like being somewhere that doesn't feel British anymore.

I get that, because London doesn't. Capital Cities usually aren't compared to the rest of the country - New York (not the capital I am aware) is possibly the most international city in America (guess) but it also doesn't feel traditionally 'American' anymore.

If that's not what he likes, so be it. We need people who want to live in Banbury and other more 'British' places just as much as we need people who want to embrace the multinational ways of London. Why can't we all get along instead of arguing about how we all need to get along?

Darren B

Giga Poster
Yeah, Ben has just summarised my thoughts in one post. You see, Ben has the ability to siphon through what I've posted and extract what I mean to say. That's because Ben knows and understands me.

You see, Sue and Neal, I've actually lost all respect for both of you, sadly. You've jumped on me with your **** when I'm sure you were both intelligent enough to make out the point I was trying to make. Making personal attacks on me was completely unwarranted and to be honest I don't want anything to do with either of you.

The nature of the topic and the 'rant' was to fuel what I thought would be a really good discussion. Yes, I expected iit to become a little heated, but I wasn't expecting some of you to take it out of context and turn into complete pricks!

I'll just nod and agree in future as to not offend anyone.

nealbie

CF Legend
Don't worry sweetie. You lost my respect when you made clear you don't count non-white Brits as British. So we're all good. It's not like I want to associate with a racist anyway. Besides, you don't like London so I'll just stay happily living here without you. :)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Well I still respect you Darren, if not your point of view. Feel free to pull me up if and when I make an offensive remark. I won't hate you for it.

I obviously was not 'intelligent enough' to see that you meant British when what you actually said was white. Funny, I'm pretty sure you know the difference. And even if you really don't, then go educate yourself because ignorance is arguably, the biggest sin of all.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ok, so now we're all at a happy medium. Mutual disrespect all round! Hurrah!

Back on topic - i.e.: LONDON. No personal attacks on Goonfield or any member please, or I'll get the padlock out.

Darren B

Giga Poster
I like the fact that you're a bit more reasonable, Sue. I just don't understand why you (someone I classify as extremely intelligent and understanding) didn't come to the same conclusion as Ben.

Neal, throw whatever insult you feel necessary in my direction. You know damn well I wasnt attacking anyone or any other race, and I've certainly never claimed that White British is the superior race. You've just taken what you think is the 'moral high ground' and you've been completely unreasonable throughout.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I'm really pissed that you think my comments were a personal attack on Darren! I've always gotten along with him despite some of the 'heated' conversations we've had in the past. If he makes such controversial remarks on a public forum then I think it is only fair to expect an open debate. His statistics disproved his argument. White British was NOT a minority using his own stats. That is FACT.

I thoroughly uphold everything I've said in the topic and I'd say it to anyone making such remarks. If you have a problem with my rebuttal then PM me.