What's new

London Christmas Meet 2016

Will

Strata Poster
Seems like I'm one of the first back and many of the others are probably nursing hangovers, so I'll do the honours.

Firstly, as always - thanks to John for the organisation, presents and stuff - I admit that I was in two minds as to whether coming along was a good idea, but in the end, the day ran very smoothly and the group was always a very nice and easygoing one. Brad ensured I wasn't the only old face trying to remember where I fit in, giving the day a feel of a soap opera running low on ideas and reintroducing a few old characters, and my memory came in handy as I spent most of the day reminding people of humorous happenings at meets gone by.

Winter Wonderland was obviously the highlight - in previous years, I always remember it being a bit 'meh' and almost a time killing exercise that we did because it seemed like the thing to do, but clearly a lot more organisation and investment has gone into the event this year. Thankfully, we arrived early meaning that crowds weren't an issue, as it looked as if they were going to be later, whilst we also managed to avoid the rain that somewhat blighted the evening. Munich Looping was everything it was cracked up to be, and ludicrously intense to the point that my vision went a bit fuzzy at times and I couldn't walk straight when I got off - I'd definitely have been up for a few more rides if it had been slightly better value for money. I do understand why the restraints have had so much attention though - they got a bit too intimate as the ride progressed and were too similar to those nasty S&S things.

Ice Mountain was a bit of a disappointment; visually, it was great (I commented that if an identical ride appeared at Efteling, people would get messy underwear over it) - but... that wasn't enough to distract me from the fact that it was a highly unpleasant spinning coaster. I was enjoying the fair enough to stay with Sue, James and Owain for a few more rides (the weather was... warm, if anything, and it was far too early to start in the pub), which included another horrendous spinning mouse and a rather forgettable family coaster. There was also Thriller - which I rather liked, even if I didn't really understand why - it had character, and a drop to rival Knightmare at Camelot. Alas, I don't count travelling coasters.

The journey to Charing Cross was VILE due to how busy London was, but lunch at the Sherlock Holmes pub made up for it, as the food was amazing, and Secret Santa etc. was a giggle. This also gave a few of us the opportunity for a long overdue catch-up. I also liked the free water and how much food there was - I've just had today's lunch which was the first meal I've needed since. Owain's book was amusing - Richard's In The Night Garden music set was... less so.

The weather was sadly on the turn by the time we started the London scavenger hunt, meaning this wasn't as much fun as it perhaps might have been (and my feet hurt today!) and... we couldn't quite shake the feeling that we were walking around in circles. There were still good moments however, including a random stranger wordlessly placing small change in Dan's outstretched hand, Christmas tree POV, "WHITEHALL IS BLACK", breaking into Soho Square gardens and the man who joined in with Nic's shouting. I also found out that Dan has excellent taste in coasters. Downsides were that we had a brief trip to a pub where it was far too hot, I remembered Brad was an Arsenal fan, and Nic fell over. Our team won, which was reassuring - I fear pokemon rather distracted our opponents.

At length and considerably soggier, we reconvened at the pub, where I think everyone except me continued to drink - and this time, the pub was quiet and we'd booked a function room, so nobody minded the noise :) There were more silly presents, and Rach and Peter turned up, which was a very nice surprise. The interactive urinals were amazing as well - personally, I think they should ALL give a score. I had to leave early, as my last train north was at 9 and I didn't want to overdo it, but I was sad when it was time to head home, which reassured me that the day had gone well. As you can tell, I'm not doing a full style Will trip report, but I shall add to this as and when other memories come back to me.

Overall - well worth the trip, so thanks everyone and I shall see you again as soon as I can :)

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
Thanks to everyone who came along on Saturday, hope everyone had a fab time, I sure did. Day goes by far too quickly! Looks like there were a few issues in the app we used (some results didn't come through?) but overall at least it got us to the pub in the evening :p

It was amazing seeing Brad and Will again, it had been far too long! Great to catch up with both of you.

The pass the parcel in the evening was one of the funniest moments of the year, just utter ridiculous. I took the occasional photo...

The secret santa gifts were great!

The infamous mole with a poo on his head book

Richard getting things that make noises

Wondering about the polar bear relevance? Old reference to the London meet in 2010!

CFers descending upon London and Richard rode a bannister in Leicester Square...

Till next year!