What's new

Lake Compounce (and Boulder Dash in the snow?)

BigBad

Mega Poster
I will be around eastern Long Island a bit when summer hits. I've Googled my ride time and it's 2.5 hours each way, assuming that I don't get smacked going through NYC (though I have yet to look into taking a ferry to Connecticut). I have a bit of a problem going there for one coaster. What else makes it worth the ride? I've looked over their list

Also, I will be on Long Island for the winter holidays. What is the Winter Lights festival? They say that some rides will be open. Is Boulder Dash one of them? I can't tell. I think I could justify going there to ride the "world's best wooden coaster" in the snow, or even just in the cold and with no leaves on the trees.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I wouldn't get your hopes up for riding Boulder Dash. If you could, I'd say yes, but check the park operations and see what's open and what's closed when you're going. Call Guest Services if you have to. Have fun anyways.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I know the train runs and the flying scooters, ghost Hunt should be open... bumper cars, antique cars, the carousel. Dash doesn't run... And its been unreasonably warm, they don't have any snow on the ground right now.

BigBad

Mega Poster
I'm in Pennsylvania. I know that dashing through the snow this month isn't going to happen.

(I couldn't resist.)

That's disappointing news about Boulder Dash not running.

I kind of know that I'll head up there over the summer, but what else can justify that?

There's good news, though. Six Flags New England isn't much more than 30 minutes further! It's not open for the winter (Great Adventure and Hershey minus Skyrush are), but over the summer...yes, please! I should look into taking the ferry, too.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
When I lived in Mass, I used to go to SFNE for opening, back when it was like, 10am... and then around 4 leave for Compounce, stopping for food on the way. Getting to the Lake just in time for their after 5 starlight ticket price... and I would just power ride Dash till 10pm... and then make the 3 hour drive back to Boston. <3

BigBad

Mega Poster
I could do that. Google says my round-trip ride is about six hours, which might be accurate if I drive at goofy hours and stop along the CT Turnpike to sleep (so that I can leave at 5am to head up to SFNE and miss NYC traffic).

It's looking like I'll be able to hit up Dollywood and Carowinds while I'm down south next year. Add in Bizarro, Wicked Cyclone, and Boulder Dash: the greatest wooden coaster ever (I've heard)...that's a pretty rockin' 2016 for someone who doesn't get to many non-home-base parks (not that Great Adventure is a park you sneeze at).

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
CanobieFan said:
When I lived in Mass, I used to go to SFNE for opening, back when it was like, 10am... and then around 4 leave for Compounce, stopping for food on the way. Getting to the Lake just in time for their after 5 starlight ticket price... and I would just power ride Dash till 10pm... and then make the 3 hour drive back to Boston. <3

Oh my god, this is a Coaster Enthusiast's dream right here, especially now that SFNE has Wicked Cyclone. Might need to do that some time. :p