What's new

Lafayette District://Opening Day, Restored Revolution (2012)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Marietta Daily Journal 5/29/2011

Lafayette District: From Eyesore to Icon

Last month, to a crowd of all ages, both young thrill seekers and older locals who were born and raised in Marietta, a velvet rope before an iconic red, white, and black turnstile building dropped and for the first time in over half a decade, Marietta's famous Sternwheeler Square filled up with guests. Carousel music piped down the riverside walkway accentuated with laughs, mechanical ride clattering, and bloodcurdling screams forcibly extracted from white-knuckle thrill seekers. Once again Marietta's baby River Angel, after going from beloved local gem to collecting rust and cobwebs in a brick boathouse, piped and paddled her way down the Ohio River for the first time in six years. It looked like anything you would see at your typical American amusement park on a Friday. However, there was way more to the typical site than met the eye.

Five years ago, Herschend Family Entertainment, the largest family-owned entertainment corporation in America, shut Lafayette District's gates indefinitely, and behind them a very uncertain future. Struggling to market the entire park as worth paying for just for one historical attraction, the park had to close prematurely in 2005. Before Herschend purchased it, its star attraction was River Angel with not much else, and admission to the park was cheap. However, when Herschend expanded the property upon their acquisition, they tripled the admission fee to the point where the guests just wanting to ride River Angel on their trip to Marietta stopped coming, leading the park to sink like an exploded steamboat. Over the years, the silent midways were overgrown and reclaimed by nature, the bright, colorful rides and buildings rusted and faded, and Lafayette District became just another man-made stain for nature to erase. This part of town, once a local liesurely heart beating with life and community, waited its turn for the many floods of the Ohio river to wash it away.

E5DVBU3.png

One of the photos, dubbed the "Sanders Photos" by roller coaster enthusiasts, showing the decrepit park.

Rumors of the park's reopening under a new buyer began to surface after an urban explorer broke into the abandoned park and upon being caught, talking to management. The tresspasser provided photos of the dilapidated theme park covered in rust, tarnish, and overgrowth, but had nothing to prove that he was spoken to. However, he reported that a man named Conrad Koch who was going press charges decided to let him go upon seeing an American Coaster Enthusiasts card in his wallet and then told him that his family had purchased the park and he would be taking the reins as park president.

In January of 2011, a man named Conrad Koch formally announced that he would be reopening the lost Lafayette District under his control. Koch stated that the new Lafayette District would place emphasis on a good value experience, family fun, and celebrating the Ohioan culture and icons he fell in love with while completing a graduate program at Ohio State University in Columbus. Among the changes Koch announced would be made would include a second River Angel only ticket available from the adjacent Ohio Sternwheeler Museum, free soft drinks, multiple events throughout the season, renovations and upgrades in the park's caliber of themed experiences, refurbishments of their existing rides and new trains for their Revolution and Vite roller coasters, and the addition of a new maximum thrill roller coaster called Hazard.

nlKzdKe.png

Hazard under construction in Lafayette District's Grand Exposition section.

About a month ago, Lafayette District experienced its grand reopening under Koch Family management, the same masterminds behind Holiday World a state away in Indiana. Since its opening, the park has seen attendance at an all time high, raking in 95,000 season pass sales and drawing in guests from all over Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. All of the ride, dining, and service experiences at Lafayette District have had generally very positive reviews, with the exception of the park's number one complaints surrounding the ride experience of their Revolution wooden roller coaster located in the Erie Boardwalk section of the park.

qSmOMSp.png

Foreground: Quasar thrill ride; Background: The Revolution roller coaster, both are newly refurbished attractions installed by the Herschend group

With the park's most recent first ever special event, Festival of Family, having gone off extremely well and bringing in the biggest crowd the Kochs have seen yet, the stage is set for their upcoming Riverside Coasterfest event scheduled for July 9. While details for that event have yet to be confirmed, rumors indicate that the event (which will be open to only roller coaster enthusiasts of an approved club) will consist of extended ride time on Hazard, a special ride on River Angel, lunch with speakers in the upper patio of the park's Banks Hotel, and behind-the-scenes tours around the park. The park also has special plans for Marietta's famous Sternwheeler Festival, intending to show off River Angel and offer special tickets and transportation to the park from the festival.

gRgMz5c.png

Lafayette District's oldest and most popular ride, River Angel, is a 40-minute cruise down the Ohio river providing views of both the park and historic downtown Marietta. Under all ownership the park has ever been under, River Angel has always had, by far, the highest performance with guests and is the best known attraction at Lafayette District..

Lafayette District intends to invest $3 million dollars into the park next year, in both new ride equipment and infrastructure. "We don't want to say for sure what we're doing just yet but if all goes according to planned, multiple rides will be added both new and secondhand," Koch stated. "Before we make an official announcement, I will be taking two trips, one to Pittsburgh and one to Texas, to seal the deal for everything." Conrad also assured us that this would not be the end of the park's string of new attractions anytime soon. "While in Texas there is an emerging technology I plan to test out on the trip," Koch stated. "It's very new but it caught my eye and within the next few years might have some use right here in Marietta." Conrad also left the Daily Journal office dropping a piece of paper reading "8 2012 251" in pen handwriting.

D2t4gBE.png

Vite, a popular "boomerang" style shuttle roller coaster located beside Hazard. Photo credit: Cole Crawford, The District Dig

Lafayette District is set to remain open through mid-October, with the season ending during their Last Rides event the night of October 16. Season passes remain on sale throughout the season. It is unconfirmed with 2012 passes will go on sale, however, that might have something to do with the rumored August 8 announcement date for next season's new additions.

To see the full story of Lafayette District so far:
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/t ... 595.0.html

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Re: Lafayette District://Like a Phoenix from the Ashes (2011

Good storyline effort :) The foliage looks decent and the park has a nice charm to it with its small rides and traditional coasters like the Boomerang and a woodie.

And did I spot an Eurofighter in the background of the second to last picture ? ^^

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^No, that's Hazard's lift hill.

I've seen this on SGW, and it's really good so far! Can't wait for more! :)

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Jarrett

portemine said:
Good storyline effort :) The foliage looks decent and the park has a nice charm to it with its small rides and traditional coasters like the Boomerang and a woodie.

And did I spot an Eurofighter in the background of the second to last picture ? ^^
Thanks! And no, like GWaS said, it's Hazard. I did do something to make it look more Fahrenheit-like, though! Thanks!

GuyWithAStick said:
^No, that's Hazard's lift hill.

I've seen this on SGW, and it's really good so far! Can't wait for more! :)

Thanks! Hope you like today's update!

-x-

The District Dig

Hazard Induces Panic Attack; Revolution Train Gets Chopped (6/10/11)

Hey, guys! Cole here with another run of pictures from Lafayette District! Went to the park to celebrate a successful victory over finals week and saw quite a few interesting things regarding their coaster situation. Today, Lafayette District had its first guest safety incident on Hazard, which I'll touch upon more later.

HUP2aaf.png

Got to the park in a steady drizzle but luckily, no lightning.

7LlFu3v.png

River Angel lovin' the rain!

OAPGqOV.png

I almost feel like Northwest Territory (at least for me) is more iconic than Sternwheeler Square just because I get here and know there's actually something to do. :p

22Rjt5S.png

Stopped in for some free pop to see that Indian Trail doesn't run in the rain. Probably due to the short brake run.

mLtnwlm.png

I thought I'd ride Revolution again for some reason.

9YwKSwt.png

No wait at least...

mZmbOp1.png

Possibly the most unwelcome site in the entire park!

5oU89Kl.png

So the train pulled into the station for me to see that the train had been chopped from nine cars to seven! I asked a ride op why they took the two cars off and apparently maintenance did it to see if it would be less strenuous on the equipment. Apparently two days ago one car cracked a chassis and shortly after another blew a wheel.

h5Snt2r.png

Rain had washed away the usual crowds...but what happens when it's packed? Maybe people will learn to stay away from it?

BX7jPcH.png

That's one way to stay dry!

FPRxnth.png

Back to Grand Expo for Hazard now!

p2F0WvB.png

Haha, this guy got a zen ride!

325EitQ.png

It stopped raining and cleared up about the time I got in line. However, when I got off, I heard somebody wailing behind me. It wasn't like normal Hazard screaming, this park guest was clearly gripped by extreme terror in the moment. Ride ops rushed us out of the station, I was able to catch a glimpse of a girl in the back car laying limp in the seat, she was screaming and bawling her eyes out and her skin was bright red and flushed.

PuzsCS0.png

Lafayette District First Aid and Security were both there blocking off the line. They weren't saying what was going on but by listening to the conversation the security agent was having on the phone, apparently that girl sitting behind me had anxiety and suffered a panic attack at the hands of the extreme ride experience.

htz5ujr.png

About ten minutes later I saw an older woman and a younger girl helping Little Miss Panic into the back of the security car with a cold bottle of water. They reopened the ride as soon as she was gone and continued with operations.

PuzsCS0.png

...on another note, Vite's photogenic?

ED7P0t4.png

Meh, more Hazard for me!

mBBj21g.png

While I was about three laps into my Hazard time, I saw Conrad run up the stairs and have a quick word with the person with the microphone doing the station spiels. After they talked, the spiels started including a point about how Hazard is an intense ride experience and those who are frightened or panic easily should not ride.

9LjwD3i.png

But Hazard was still awesome! People still like it and I believe it still has the highest ridership of any thrill ride at the park, this isn't the coaster I'm worried about.

E2pRljP.png

The Revolution, however, seems to be the real problem here. That's the ride I'm worried about. Hopefully Conrad gets the sense to have it fully retracked at the very least.

rOBjZ0w.png

Have a nice day! One month to Riverside Coasterfest!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Lafayette District://Hazard Hysteria (2011)

Nice update! Odd to see how frequent these rides have problems. Hopefully it's all figured out soon!

Jarrett

Re: Lafayette District://Hazard Hysteria (2011)

GuyWithAStick said:
Nice update! Odd to see how frequent these rides have problems. Hopefully it's all figured out soon!

Thanks! You'll see more today!

-x-

The District Dig

Riverside Coasterfest 2011 (7/9/11)

Hey! Cole here with The District Dig and man am I beat from yesterday! I ran myself silly and let Hazard beat the crap out of me, it felt so wrong yet so right! I also have a few updates on 2012 additions and changes!

WwBHd22.jpg

I think Lafayette District plans to theme this event after a movie every year like HoliWood Nights. This year's theme was Harry Potter and called The Deathly Coasters, probably to coincide with the conclusion of the series.

PDDuY9L.png

Registration was actually at a riverside port south of town, they had tables set up and bussed us in on River Angel. We got to see the park as the sun rose over it from the river!

KGyI1wY.png

Good morning, Hazard!

xiSTM84.png

I never really mess with Angel's waits but the park looks gorgeous from it!

X5HTvK3.png

Hello, Northwest Territories! Are those survey stakes I see?

11HDw3m.png

We're here!

jp9yHau.png

Good morning, Lafayette District!

Cf3CDVe.png

Up the hill for morning ERT!

LwSMdua.png

People actually preferred the flats to Indian Trail Mine Ride.

e259j6P.png

Meh, enthusiasts hate this coaster but locals love it.

9LJxCUU.png

Classic Arrow coathanger turn!

DDpnGq3.png

Fun on Dreamcatcher!

8xm4ets.png

I have a date with you tonight, Hazard!

p1vN8jv.png

We were given small breakfast snacks on River Angel but they were serving breakfast at Ol' Fort Smokey as always.

myL5z8N.png

When the park opened up I kind of hung out on the south side of the property.

vunc8Te.png

Got to lunch first and got a pic of the empty dining hall. During lunch, Conrad made the following speech:

"Thank you all for coming out here today, hope you're all enjoying yourselves. I've put a lot of work into making this park something special once more, and I hope you all who've traveled are enjoying this local treasure as much as the people who grew up with this. This season's gone very well, our first Riverside Coasterfest has gone very well and we'll be doing it again next year in 2012 so long as the world doesn't end.

Speaking of next year, we said we want a new ride every year and we will be holding true to that. Earlier this season I made a trip to Texas, I landed in the terminal of DFW around midnight just to try out some new technology and talk to a manufacturer and I managed to seal a deal. I actually got stuck in some super crazy loop and nearly missed my flight back to the airport, I was flooring it in my little rental car at unheard of velocity and barely made my flight by two minutes. I also had to make a trip to Pennsylvania for more business, traveled through all the industrial plants and stuff while I was buying this new attraction. It's been absolutely crazy but it should generate the same positive effect we got with Hazard, we're following all the cardinal rules.

You now have everything you need to know about 2012, gotta scoot!"

He then ran behind a door with some other yellow shirts and the thin wood wasn't enough to muffle the maniacal cackling of park executives tormenting enthusiasts. On my way out, I spoke with a woman who was working food and told her that I was having a great time and that Conrad was hilarious, to which she told me, "he is, especially when he speaks in riddles like he loves to do."

eS7l4Ed.png

Went back to Erie Boardwalk and kind of hung out until the speeches.

[youtubevid]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO1TnbAEmAw[/youtubevid]

Got some nice Hazard footage and a POV because Conrad saw my GoPro and let me! He's so awesome!

I went to watch the speeches, most of it was pretty boring filler stuff. Plenty of teary rags-to-riches stories about the park, some boring spew from Ohio Historical Society about Sternwheeler Square, then Conrad came out.

"Tonight," he said at the end of his wonderful speech, "we are sad to announce the closure of three of the park's rides." A few gasps in the room about the fact that there were three. "Permanantly, Seven Seas and Terminal Velocity, will be closing on August 8 when we announce our New for 2012 additions. Indefinitely, effective after tonight," he took a dramatic pause, "The Revolution will close." A bit of a reaction was gotten out of the crowd, "Extensive rehabilitation on The Revolution will follow," Conrad stated. "We will be starting with a full, complete retrack like we should have done from the start, but even that might not be enough to save the ride's deformed structure, warped and bent from the elements over the years that has been responsible for its rough ride experience. We are hoping to get it operational again one day, but can make no promises. This concludes the meeting."

bszhKzV.png

After the meeting, it was ERT time!

Q3qjD8Q.png

There was something magical about the tiny lines for Hazard, just being able to be exposed to something that extreme over and over again was insane.

5yIcoe7.png

Back for more!

rpgxPKU.png

Such filthy whores...

mbheYIU.png

Vite in the dark was actually really cool! Love how rerideable this one is, no headbanging and some good, smooth fun on the best boomerang ever is something I love!

lSy1PYP.png

Bonus surprise ERT was given on Seven Seas since it'll be on its way out soon.

axSHl47.png

Terminal Velocity recieved the same treatment.

lmCz8lG.png

People, however, were lining up for Revolution like never before. They wanted to see how many rides they could take before it got ripped out!

m49g2JH.png

Good night, District!

I'll be out of town when the new stuff is announced (I'll be on my big trip, we're going to Carowinds this year!) but I'll be sure to be in the hotel room when Conrad drops it! I made sure to transcribe his entire speech (thanks Mark from Athens for filming it for me!) and he says everything we need is in it, so let the speculation begin!

Jarrett

Re: Lafayette District://Event, Removals, Hazard POV (2011)

The District Dig

2012 Announcements (8/9/11)

So today I popped out of Carowinds for a bit (pulling myself away from lovely Intimidator) to check out what Lafayette District has in store for us and man does it look awesome! Looks like we're getting three flats, two new and one used.

0JYqyxG.jpg

The biggest thing the park will be adding will be a Larson Super Loop called 2012. It appears it'll have a Mayan apocalypse theme and be located in Grand Exposition, presumably where Seven Seas is right now. The ride looks like it'll be nice and intense, though I've never ridden anything like it.

w8i3lSf.jpg

The next thing Conrad is pulling from his bag of tricks seems to be that he purchased Pitt Fall, and will be opening it as Terminal Velocity II in place of the original S&S Terminal Velocity that's been plagued with mechanical problems all season. 251 feet? Can't say I'm complaining. ;)

N9Lf86g.jpg

Finally, I think the stakes in Northwest Territories we saw on the boat were for this Crazy Cardinals flat ride. Crazy Cardinals is a "Flying Eagles" type ride (like Kings Island used to have) but themed to Ohio's state bird. It isn't as big or bad as the others, but I think it should pack a punch, especially in an area like Northwest territories that currently has nothing that's totally family-friendly except the park's only family coaster.

During the Q&A that followed (or at least what I read of it), Conrad stated that while 2012 will be a fun, scary ride experience, it is not in any way, shape, or form a coaster, and it will not be counted in the park's coaster collection. He even said himself that it's controlled by a joystick pushed and pulled by the ride op. He also confirmed that while they are leaving the park's lineup, they will be kept around by the park to either be sold or pop up elsewhere over the years. Furthermore, he said that he wants to make Crazy Cardinals the "most snapable flyer out there" and it will be installed in-house with stronger cables to allow as much snapping as possible.

I can dig it. ;)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Sounds like a nice addition! Sounds like nice replacements for the leaving rides. Can't wait to see these fully installed!

Jarrett

GuyWithAStick said:
Sounds like a nice addition! Sounds like nice replacements for the leaving rides. Can't wait to see these fully installed!
Thanks! I think you'll like how all three of them mix in with the park, I'm hoping to round out the lineup with these. :)

-x-

The District Dig

Out with the old, in with the new! (9/20/11)

Hey! Cole here pleased to report that Lafayette District has had nothing but a successful reopening season! While official numbers likely won't drop until the end of the season, you couldn't be in the park today and not argue that it's been nothing but successful. District was rocking today! The midways were packed, everything had the wait it was designed to have, and the park, for the most part, is on the right track to do it all again next year!

9wOaf9D.png

Started the day with a relaxing ride on River Angel. Got there while it was dead in the afternoon so I snagged a spot on the cruise as soon as I showed up.

P7COFtS.png

They were only doing the short park-length cruise due to increased river traffic today.

I6slZ79.png

Crazy Cardinals stakes!

OT7Jcvx.png

Done with that, off to Grand Expo!

dBHbxEy.png

Thunderbird was stuck like this when I walked by. Not good for the riders!

QyQY6hW.png

Dang, they wasted no time getting Terminal Velocity right out of there! Bring on TVII next year!

8eSzZXH.png

Hello, my baby!

ANr1EEQ.png

Vite's station probably gets unbearably hot for the ride ops in the summer but now that it's cooling down I didn't see as many ride ops making water runs.

6ofmjxk.png

Awful shot of Electro Spin. :p

mRB8O3p.png

Global Emporium, Vite, and Hazard all in the same shot!

EW33OfB.png

Again, Seven Seas got ripped right out, and next year this will be home to 2012. That'll be a nice view to start your Revolution ride!

Bndi7xy.png

Speaking of Revolution, Erie Boardwalk isn't the same without it.

4o2cqyn.png

It just kind of sat there silently the entire time we were here...

QHjsuUJ.png

The entrance was completely chained off.

zsvpGcm.png

In the theme of only riding the crap rides today, I queued up for Quasar to see that the line got horribly long. Considering how the area's down a coaster, I know exactly why.

OiSLvao.png

Seeing these wacky transitions (that I hear one day long, long ago were wonderful) silent was actually kind of sad and felt...wrong.

QLGCd9q.png

At least my ride on Quasar was good, but I wonder if this iconic park picture will last much longer...

JbMM5tb.png

Even stupid Ohio Turnpike had a line!

Kj7oawY.png

Hazard was playing Intamin so I left, knowing I'd be back to a dead park for Last Rides next month. Have a great day!

Jarrett

Re: Lafayette District://Stomped Out The Revolution (2011)

The District Dig

A Really Good Restart (10/16/11)

Hey, guys! Cole here with District Dig and if you're reading this, the new Lafayette District has officially gotten through its first season! I was there for the Last Rides event for passholders, getting to see the park end its first season and hopefully open the door for 2012!

43KX5Rl.png

Vite isn't very well-lit at night. Got a ride on it though.

9Gp8H0f.png

Getting in line for Hazard, I noticed this. The park recycled Terminal Velocity's old air tank as theming for Hazard!

w5L5a8y.png

Because not that many people turned up for this event, Hazard was practically all to myself.

UtwCC9f.png

The park was now playing a recorded announcement in line and in the station for Hazard. "Attention oncoming riders," it states, "Hazard is an extreme ride experience. Riders will be exposed to powerful, rapidly changing forces, beyond-vertical downward angles, and sensations of extreme terror. Hazard is not for everyone, riders with medical conditions or who are easily frightened should not ride." Likely a response to the panic attack the girl suffered on this coaster a few months back.

7SqqU2a.png

Up we go!

4qUdfm8.png

My view for the entire night was either this or whizzing by at 65 mph, I'm not even sorry. I marathoned this shamelessly, even though it whipped me around good.

wxF1DxE.png

Hazard went down, so I went to make my last coaster of the seaason Indian Trail.

oBgIUMA.png

It's crazy to think this ride is almost forty and yet families still love it so much. You know you're from Marietta if you know the pain of a good beating on Indian Trail Mine Ride!

sadTckM.png

There goes the final train of the season!

DVsn1YT.png

As the bell tolled signalling the end of ERT, we began to file out. I turned around to snag one last photo of Sternwheeler Square before having to part with it until April.

wVfcPXM.png

Just after I snapped that, the fountains cascading through the air gurgled to a standstill, a deafening silence drowning out the roar of the water that welcomes you to the park every time you come. POSTING AS JARRETT: This is based off of an experience I had personally. Leaving Kings Island's last rides event in 2015, I turned around to photograph the fountains only for them to turn off until April.

4ADEiL5.png

Wow, what a season! To think this place went from being an abandoned eyesore to the locals to being one of the most popular social spots in town is nothing short of astounding. In the two years since rumors started circulating, the park got arguably one of the best coasters in the world, reclaimed its spot as both a historical icon and a family fun destination, and started its hopefully very long run under the awesome ownership of the Koch Family. I can't wait to do it all again next year! Make sure to stick with The District Dig for the latest and greatest on Lafayette District1

-x-

Conrad's Paddlewheel Press

Season's End (October 2011)

I just shut the park for the season and man, what a season it was! Through the ups and downs one would expect from a roller coaster, it was one heck of a ride and I thank you all for helping me make it possible!

0C0QWvC.png

I was exhausted, but I couldn't just leave the park without walking around for a bit.

lY4LSSZ.png

To think that two years ago this place was covered in dirt, weeds, grime, and was falling apart, it's a lot to walk around the glowing midways at night after knowing you spent a whole summer thrilling and entertaining the guests you're so loyal to in the same place. You really have to stand there and take it in.

M1XhjYd.png

I personally rang the bell signalling park close.

0cQzJ82.png

I took one ride on River Angel during Last Rides and realized how different this will look with Terminal Velocity and 2012. However, this section of the park is now home to our biggest issue; The Revolution. It's completely my fault for not taking the engineers from GCI seriously when they said it needed a complete retrack, to think it would run fine on tracks that were abandoned for six years was stupid, and I take complete responsibility for the state of that coaster. During the offseason we will be conducting a complete retrack in hopes of making it last long-term

i0ok1tj.png

Angel's smokestacks were folded down and she's now getting some winter beauty sleep, ready to put more smiles on faces in 2012. See you then!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Lafayette District://A Successful First Season Ends! (20

Glad to see that the park's first season went well! I hope Revolution does well once it's finished with the full retrack! Can't wait to see everything when it's done!

Jarrett

Re: Lafayette District://A Successful First Season Ends! (20

GuyWithAStick said:
Glad to see that the park's first season went well! I hope Revolution does well once it's finished with the full retrack! Can't wait to see everything when it's done!
Thanks! You'll get to see the start of the next season today, as well as Revolution!

-x-

The District Dig

A Good Start for Season Two (4/17/2012)

Hello! Today was opening day for Lafayette District, and it also happened to be Senior Skip Day, so we took advantage! The park was dead today, so my school friends and I all had an amazing time!

jObHbQx.png

Something is peeping out from behind the old District wall that wasn't there before...

JtkRxTW.png

Oh how I've missed this place!

FEe99zF.png

The carousel was back in action!

1quECYx.png

Sadly, Crazy Cardinals was lacking in popularity. I rode it and got some really good snapping out of it, especially over the river, but nobody else was riding it.

AgXJxdb.png

I love how you only saw Terminal Velocity II a few times peeping out through the trees.

pNFKGat.png

It's a bit further up the hill than Territories so that adds to how dominating it looks.

n9dooFl.png

BAM!!!! There's the money shot!

t574aZ6.png

OH MY GOD!!!! Terminal Velocity II is definitely a hit! The capacity is better than that of the original Terminal Velocity, I only saw it go down for a brief period, and most importantly, it's terrifying! I snuck my camera on to capture the view from the top (which I hear is different yet awesome on every side, like the opposite side that gives a view of downtown Marietta) but I couldn't help but get this one of Hazard's massive 120-foot tower looking like a tiny dandelion in the grass in front of me. This ride really puts height into perspective. And the drop...WOW!!!! It didn't rearrange my spinal column (unlike the original Terminal Velocity), but the brakes were close to the ground. You really expect to splat into the pavement on this one! Definitely a good purchase, thanks so much Kennywood!

6mpXnFB.png

It also adds a nice photo op with Hazard through Vite's loop.

qFl8q0L.png

Next up we tried out 2012, which looks awesome.

ABdER3W.png

Looks very ominous, but not dominating. Terminal Velocity II is dominating, but 2012 just gives off a very unsettling vibe...

F4L2xM8.png

It had every bit as much a wait as TVII did despite being smaller.

C0sXaH6.png

Eh, it was pretty good. I like Terminal Velocity II better, but it's a good ride. Pretty intense, but very generic and it left me with a bit of a headache. And for those of you fighting over whether or not it's a coaster, it isn't. I saw the ride op controlling it with a joystick with my own eyes. ;)

Funv0O9.png

After this we went to check out the next new thing for the season, retracked Revolution! Getting in line, we saw that it didn't sound as bad, a good sign!

rEhtieQ.png

It was dead, but Hazard had less of a wait than it did! I got up to the station to hear that they were playing a loop of BT's "The Revolution." Okay, I was actually pumped to ride Revolution! It felt so weird!

EDoJcJt.png

Okay, it's better! It still had a bit of that swaying banking, but the ride felt way smoother and actually tolerable!

UVpX278.png

Haha, nobody even wanted to go past Revolution, killing the very back of the park!

m6ubmvg.png

Here's to a great 2012 season!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Lafayette District://Opening Day, Restored Revolution (2

2012 looks like it has some nice theming! TVII sounds like it'll be a hit with the GP. Crazy Cardinals does seem a bit lacking imo. I think a few shrubs and foliage could do it well. Also glad to see that Revolution is doing better than before. Can't wait to see more! :)