What's new

Kings Island removes Firehawk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
53adbf001e3dd935cb341cd79a94ae5d.jpg

Got bored falling asleep so I made a thing on my phone. Blue is the land where Dinos was, red is the land where Firehawk sits. Yellow is unused land behind Banshee, some of Son of Beast used to occupy it. Green as you can see marks a wooded area between the Firehawk and the undeveloped land. My thinking is if they want to, they could cut a path through the woods as they did with Mystic Timbers, that’s enough to do pretty much whatever you want with any coaster type you want.

I’m thinking giga like a good KI fanboy. A B&M should be able to deliver an experience different enough from Millennium across the state that they could still be able to swing it as something unique and exciting. Not ruling the dive possibility out yet but I’d be really surprised considering how new Valravn is as well as how well known it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Firehawk was definitely 3rd on my list of rides i wanted KI to remove (1st was Vortex, 2nd was invertigo) but i understand all the reasons they chose to remove firehawk (between it's reliability, capacity and the space it'd clear up). That said this is really just a precursor of what's to come and that's what keeps me interested. i'll be sure to attempt to get one last ride in on this dutchman when i'm there but i'm not tearing up about this departure like i was about Vortex at CW or the Mouse at BPB.

Also +1 to all those saying this thread has gone to ****

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Welp. Anyone been by Kings Island to check up on the demo of Firehawk? @Antinos was meant to be up there on the 26th, but got spited by a large storm system moving through the area.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
*BREAKING NEWS* *IMPORTANT* *NEW*
"News from CNN has broken out that Firehawk will be transferred to Kentucky Kingdom as the *New* Kentucky Flyer which is a intamin Diving flying coaster, and the Banshee Roller coaster will be going to Valleyfair where it will open as Mantis the Ride and then the Storm Chasing Roller Coaster Ride will be moving to the Banshee land area where it will open as the Son of Beast the revival."
Cranedude
CNN
Kings Island
Give me the source please :emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Welp. Anyone been by Kings Island to check up on the demo of Firehawk? @Antinos was meant to be up there on the 26th, but got spited by a large storm system moving through the area.
I would've checked on Haunt's last day but I wasn't working then. I'll probably go back up around maybe Winterfest.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Intricks

Strata Poster
So my friend sent me an interesting image about a job posting for Kings Island involving a ride supervusor. In it, it includes a height marker in regards to how high up one must be comfortable to climb up to on the off chance that the ride does an e-stop. The height posted is 425ft.

I have no idea if this holds any actual validity in regards to the 2020 addition, but it seems odd/coincidental and was only posted 14 days ago. For these job listings, do they just use a general number from within the company, or is it just a general number made up?

Thoughts on this?
088d4ae9ec613031f4f5b91d690c407d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edit: Following the link to the actual Cedar Fair jobs website shows nothing in regards to the height. Could this be a google thing?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Interesting, yes, but I suspect your first instinct was right. Area Manager kinda implies that the role could cover multiple parks, and 425ft would be just enough to cover the tallest ride in the Cedar Fair chain. So yeah, just some admin guy covering the company's arse I reckon.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
It's like a running gag in Germany to have 6 people capable to fix the problem on site, while the only one authorized to do so called in sick, so good foresight on their part.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^Interesting, yes, but I suspect your first instinct was right. Area Manager kinda implies that the role could cover multiple parks, and 425ft would be just enough to cover the tallest ride in the Cedar Fair chain. So yeah, just some admin guy covering the company's arse I reckon.
I dont think the job itself is for multiple parks within the chain as thats typically only reserved for the big wigs of any given company; however, back when I was a fast food employee, I had worked in multiple stores due to them being short staffed. Those were far closer than the 3-4hr drove between Point and Island though.

I find the timing too coincidental for it to be a 100% "someone did an oopsie and released a stat", but it is odd imo based on what we know is coming to the park.

So before anyone claims im stating its going to be that high - I think the job posting confirms that Kings Island will be getting a new, very tall Beemer next year, but that its height isnt going to be 425ft.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
ITS NOT GOING TO BE A GIGA ITS GOING TO BE A STATA
Volume level for how I read that:
giphy.gif

To clarify on staff levels and terminology - an "Area Manager" is one who oversees a specific area of the park and all of the rides/attractions within that area. I don't know Kings Island's ride area count off the top of my head, but Cedar Point operated with 5 ride areas when I worked there years ago. In turn, each respective ride/attraction/shop/office will then have subsequent Supervisors (overseeing Ride Operators) who report to the Area Manager. Area Managers are hired to operate in all areas of the park, and will carry a specific Ride Area each shift - so requiring an ability to climb to a height of 425 ft. would infer needing to work with a ride/attraction of that height. While there is some staff swap that goes on between Kings Island and Cedar Point, this is purely seasonal, and helps ensure each park has adequate "grunt level" staffing to run rides (usually it's funneling Kings Island staff to Cedar Point, since there isn't a nearby metro area/university with pools of teens and 20-somethings).

So yeah, this isn't a confirmation of ride height... but it makes it obvious that Kings Island Area Managers will be required to operate at that height.

Can't wait for Don Helbig to say "Gotcha!" for this red herring. :rolleyes:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
What if we're overthinking this? What if 425 feet is the height DIFFERENTIAL of this coaster, ala how Banshee is only 167 feet tall but has a height differential of 200 some thanks to the ravine it dives into?

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I just didn't want the discussion to trail off into "OMG WILL IT ACTUALLY BE THE FIRST B&M STRATA?!" territory. Sorry guys.