What's new

Kings Island | Orion | B&M Giga Coaster

Matt N

CF Legend
Even if the layout perhaps isn't the most remarkable we've ever seen on a B&M giga, I still think it looks really fun, personally! From my experience, these B&M hypers are never truly bad rides, and you should take some of those elements at a pretty good speed, which should in theory cause pretty good ejector airtime! That turnaround and the mini-ampersand later in the ride also have potential to produce some good G's, in my opinion!

Even though I'm admittedly more excited for Candymonium than I am for Orion in terms of the two B&M hypers (by model) being built in America in 2020, I still look forward to seeing how Orion turns out. The proof will come when we see the train negotiate the elements; does anyone remember Mako being built, and how everyone thought that would be really bland? Then, when it came to the first test run, it ripped through its circuit at a blistering speed, and even though it did slow down as testing went on and the trims started to kick in, it turned out to be a fantastic ride (well, in most people's eyes, at least), and much more enjoyable than most expected! It certainly wowed me and became my number 1 coaster, but that's besides the point!

Before I waffle on for too long, what I'm basically trying to say is; even though we can probably get a good idea of how we like the elements, I don't think we should necessarily dismiss this ride until we see a train negotiate the track or even until the first riders get on it, because there's still a lot of potential for surprises here!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Oh hey that turnaround looks like it will do absolutely nothing.

I hope this ride proves me wrong

That turn is deceptively simple I feel. I spent a long time trying to recreate it in FVD and I think it'll surprise people with it's forces. It has to enter in a way that'll create almost sideways floater kinda like a reverse treble clef but abit softer, before catching it at the top at the tightest section before dropping back down.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-06-at-12-46-27.png

I'll admit the layout is a little bland on the surface but I do hope that it has some hidden spiceyness in it's shaping.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That turn is deceptively simple I feel. I spent a long time trying to recreate it in FVD and I think it'll surprise people with it's forces. It has to enter in a way that'll create almost sideways floater kinda like a reverse treble clef but abit softer, before catching it at the top at the tightest section before dropping back down.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-06-at-12-46-27.png

I'll admit the layout is a little bland on the surface but I do hope that it has some hidden spiceyness in it's shaping.
I have that hope as well, but I honestly think you shaped your turn better than Orion's. You have a slight level-out as the train rolls but I can't really see that on Orion.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In revisiting the POV, tend to side with @Antinos - while I would love a turnaround more as @bob_3_ developed, the train transition really appears to not spend too much time at the top, which probably keeps floater g's minimal. That is compared to a downward helix/turn element that moves with greater speed or sets up the train for more airtime (thinking specifically of SFOG Goliath's helix, which packs a great punch at the top of the element). As comparison:

My fear is the twisting drop is more drawn out and not as tight a spiral, which means a slower speed transition and, as a result, no real "tug" airtime. Would love to be proven wrong, and still hold out hope for the last row having some tug effect; but this is certainly not as aggressive as could have been done. Even doing a normal treble clef turnaround would have been great; that is my favorite airtime moment on Fury.

bernatc22

Mega Poster
I'm really at a loss as to why they chose to make this a "regular' (albeit small) hill which will most likely give regular floater, rather than making it low to the ground and it actually giving some stellar ejector.
After all, a huge floater Camelback follows, so why the hell shape it like that?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm really at a loss as to why they chose to make this a "regular' (albeit small) hill which will most likely give regular floater, rather than making it low to the ground and it actually giving some stellar ejector.
After all, a huge floater Camelback follows, so why the hell shape it like that?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
In general this isn't the "B&M way", building aggressive airtime hills low to the ground. I could give you the whole engineering schpeal, but ultimately it's just not what's been typical with their hypers and gigas.

I think this hill will be just a speed hill, something there that gives you a bit of airtime action, but pretty smoothed out as it will be taken ~70-80 MPH. So, something akin to Steel Vengeance's "fastest airtime hill in the world", which give sensation of direction change rather than airtime.

davidm

Strata Poster
April 11th announced (well opening day anyway so thats no great shock)

Orion, debuts when the 364-acre amusement and water park opens for the 2020 season on April 11.

Pass holder preview the day before tho' ; https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/events/gold-pass-preview

Doublethink

Roller Poster
Excellent news! Excited to be getting the chance to ride in June as part of our USA road trip. Just pantehon (looking looking pretty likely) and Jersy Devil (losing hope) to go now!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
April 11th announced (well opening day anyway so thats no great shock)

Pass holder preview the day before tho' ; https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/events/gold-pass-preview

Glad to now it'll be open for my visit.

As for all the other comments, yeah the layout is weird and a bit uninspiring. Shame they didn't do a twister style a la Fury but hey it looks pretty cool! And long as it has some airtime it'll beat Diamondback so works for me lol