What's new

Kings Island | Mystic Timbers | GCI Wooden Coaster

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: GCI Woodie for Kings Island 2017?

Gonna laugh when everyone freaks out because it's an RMC...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Talked to a few people at the park the other day when I was there (and got a few construction pics which are up on Facebook), an employee seemed pretty confident when he squashed that notion, telling me "it'll be a GCI but you didn't hear it from me." So either he was being a tool or he saw a GCI truck or something. Whatever, I have to go to work in half an hour but I'll see what this thing is on my break.

FINAL LOCKED IN GUESS: GCI woodie called Splintercat similar to Prowler back in the woods interacting with the rapids.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ So basically the leaked plans? :p

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/CoasterForce/photos/pcb.10153684182688639/10153684182453639/?type=3&theater[/facebookpost]

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Jarrett so **** original.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Just stirrin' the pot. :wink:

Actually one of the guys at GCI in charge of GhostRider said it wasn't theirs. Can't trust anyone now days. :p

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

ki_mt-layout_micrositerendering.jpg

Intricks

Strata Poster

Mystic Timbers....

But hey, we got a 2nd announcement coming for 2017 in August as well.

Hope may yet be there to not disappoint further...

Edit: I just love the fact that they hated losing to Prowler, so they are building a slightly modified clone to be all "HA! WE GOT THE NUMBER 1 SPOT IN THE BAG" and then RMC will pop up somewhere and just **** all over them.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Since when is a huge GCI woodie a disappointment? Maybe for the people who want\expect an RMC but this is great.

Nice to see them going again with a wooden coaster instead of a giga which will just homogenize the chains parks further. It's a good long layout with a decent amount of airtime by the looks of things and combining some elements from some of GCI's better woodies like Prowler and White Lightning.

Are we really at the point where we complain if any new ride isnt a Giga or an RMC... I suppose we are. Look at the BGW topic.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

roomraider said:
Since when is a huge GCI woodie a disappointment? Maybe for the people who want\expect an RMC but this is great.

Nice to see them going again with a wooden coaster instead of a giga which will just homogenize the chains parks further. It's a good long layout with a decent amount of airtime by the looks of things and combining some elements from some of GCI's better woodies like Prowler and White Lightning.

Are we really at the point where we complain if any new ride isnt a Giga or an RMC... I suppose we are. Look at the BGW topic.

I'm not disappointed it's a GCI, I just think the layout seems rather bland. Here's hoping it'll be more fun to ride than it looks.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Looks pretty good. Prowler 2.0. And that isn't a bad thing. Prowler is a great ride and this should be even better. Should be a great addition to an already fantastic coaster lineup.

Intricks

Strata Poster
My disappointment stems from the fact that this feels more like a Cedar Point/Any other CF park addition, and not a KI feel addition because of where its simply being built at. They have several coasters there that use/utilize the land, and with this addition it just feels like a "parking lot" type addition.

Its in the woods, but it doesnt really do it like Beast or Boulder Dash, it does it like Voyage - in a straight line til its out of sight and then follows itself back home (the largest issue I have with Voyage is that it doesnt immerse itself in the woods like Raven does so wondefully).

They could have built it back near Bat and Banshee to not make over near Diamondback, Vortex and Firehawk feel more crowded. Give us another reason to head out towards Bat on that lonely path.

Just....why?

And Im not saying the coaster will suck, or that it is a terrible addition to the park. To me, they just put it in not the best location and didnt give it a full KI feel for an addition.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
roomraider said:

This is Kings Island. The park's two wood coasters (Racer and Beast) are two of the most important and iconic wood coasters anywhere, to enthusiasts and the gp. Racer revived the then-dormant wood coaster and Beast changed what a wood coaster could be with its sprawling layout and length. Son of Beast, while terrible, also pushed boundaries and became quite famous with gp as well.

A new wood coaster at Kings Island should have been a remarkable, one of a kind experience. Today, RMC provides these rides, which are proven to be popular with everyone, and even Gravity Group are willing to step outside comfort zones when designing attractions.

This would be boring at Knott's or even Dorney. At Kings Island it's just pointless.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So as recap:

- 109 ft. tall
- 53 MPH
- 2,625 ft. of track
- a shack with yet-to-be-announced features

The official dump of ride renderings and POVs:

13659205_10153684624353639_5007445542533038264_n.jpg

13782281_10153684628393639_4309054975343528416_n.jpg