What's new

Kings Island | Mystic Timbers | GCI Wooden Coaster

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: GCI Woodie for Kings Island 2017?

I'm gonna go off a limb and say their first project is putting a launch on this RMC for KI.

Hunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend

The launch system they had all the issues with?

That one?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

ECG said:
^They did the control systems for Lightning Rod, Gold Striker at California's Great America, White Lightning at Fun Spot America as well as Lightning Run and Storm Chaser at Kentucky Kingdom. The company was formed in 2012 by husband and wife team of Brian Ondrey and Anne Irvine. Ondrey previously worked at Consign, another American owned company with over 25 years of experience specializing in amusement ride safety control systems.

What a weather-focused company. Only gets involved with coasters named something with lightning, strike, or storm. :p

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Now it's my turn to be either that guy or sound thick.

Didn't the launch system come from Velocity Magnets of Pennsylvania? I saw a post on that other site about how Velocity did the launch. If you look at the second Under the Hood video, it's stated that the company that did the launch was Pennsylvanian. Irvine Ondrey is out of Michigan, Velocity is out of Pennsylvania.

https://vimeo.com/158391903

I thought Velocity made the launch hardware and Irvine Ondrey did the control system, like the sensors and the like. I talked to a guy at a Coaster Crew event last year who worked as an electrician at Six Flags America for some time about ride hardware and he was referring to Irvine Ondrey a lot but in the context of sensors only. Everything he said they did for parks was all PLCs and control panels and similar stuff.

I could be wrong, the universe we see and ride coasters in could be a 2D hologram, that vault with the Cobras on it in India could suck the earth into a black hole if it's opened ever.

I would imagine it's something similar to what they did on Storm Chaser as they convert Hurler. Maybe they're contracted for the same length of time RMC is, so this project is "large" because they'll do all of CF's RMC stuff.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Jarrett said:
Now it's my turn to be either that guy or sound thick.

Didn't the launch system come from Velocity Magnets of Pennsylvania? I saw a post on that other site about how Velocity did the launch. If you look at the second Under the Hood video, it's stated that the company that did the launch was Pennsylvanian. Irvine Ondrey is out of Michigan, Velocity is out of Pennsylvania.

https://vimeo.com/158391903

I thought Velocity made the launch hardware and Irvine Ondrey did the control system, like the sensors and the like. I talked to a guy at a Coaster Crew event last year who worked as an electrician at Six Flags America for some time about ride hardware and he was referring to Irvine Ondrey a lot but in the context of sensors only. Everything he said they did for parks was all PLCs and control panels and similar stuff.

I could be wrong, the universe we see and ride coasters in could be a 2D hologram, that vault with the Cobras on it in India could suck the earth into a black hole if it's opened ever.

I would imagine it's something similar to what they did on Storm Chaser as they convert Hurler. Maybe they're contracted for the same length of time RMC is, so this project is "large" because they'll do all of CF's RMC stuff.
I thought I was "that guy" when I corrected GuyWithAStick saying that IOE did the control system on Lightning Rod, but I'll happily give you that title. :wink:

Ben

CF Legend

So what we have today learnt is this ride will have a safety control system.

Wonderful.

I'm really hoping it has trains too. Maybe even track.

Jarrett

I think it's significant because they had to pick Ondrey for a reason, and they've worked with RMC before on multiple occasions. They'd be most familiar with their rides and how to do it. I wouldn't say it confirms anything though. Like Ben said, every ride has a safety control system. This could be doing the whole control system for a new ride, it could be putting a new panel on a wild mouse.

I'd say Hurler is the most logical possibility now. Mainly because if they do it at KD and it works out, they could do it at Caro and keep up their pattern of improving the place.

Ben

CF Legend

^They've equally done work for GCI (including for Cedar Fair already so dunno why they're so excited to work with the chain now xD) so we literally know nothing.

It hasn't changed a thing - if Hurler was the most logical choice it still is.

Stop trying to read in to stuff which tells us nothing!

Jarrett

Honestly I think the only real "clue" that's come out of anything might be the picture of the seasickness pills, everything else just encourages people to grasp at more straws.

Let's be honest, were at that point in the season where a park posts a picture of a planter on their midway and enthusiasts lose their mind and decide it's a giga confirmed.

Ben

CF Legend

Seasickness pills could literally mean anything.

Maybe it's a Pirate Ship, who knows.

Let's all just get on with our lives and revisit it when there's stuff to discuss.

Lofty

CF Legend

Jarrett said:
Let's be honest, were at that point in the season where a park posts a picture of a planter on their midway and enthusiasts lose their mind and decide it's a giga confirmed.
No, honey. A special form of enthusiast does.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Latest update from Screamscape:

2017 - New Coaster - Rumor - (7/7/16) Kings Island has been teasing on social media by showing off images of trees being cut down along the new pathway for the rapids ride over the past week to generate interest in their 2017 coaster project. While we've been sure since the plans leaked that it would be a wooden coaster of some kind, no one has been 100% sure on who was building it. Though a reader spotted something a few hours ago that would seem to lock it down, as they spotted a truck pulling a work trailer into the backlot area of the park that had the initials "G.C.I." on it. Sure sounds like this will be a GCI coaster project then if true, and honestly based on the plans leaked, it really didn't look like an RMC anyway.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

We have an announcement date: [tweet]http://twitter.com/EvanMillward/status/755421486219988992[/tweet]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

KI website has been updated with a countdown timer as well.

ki_capital-countdownbackground_rotator1.jpg

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/#panel1-1

ukthemeparkfan

Roller Poster

CarolinaRider said:
We have an announcement date: [tweet]http://twitter.com/EvanMillward/status/755421486219988992[/tweet]

that is odd I thought ceder fair liked to announce what all their parks were getting at the same time

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Nope, you're thinking about Six Flags.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMS7n2jOl-E[/youtube]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Announcement is tonight!

We will be updating the CF Facebook and Twitter feeds as news and details are released. :)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

We might have a name...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DonHelbig/status/758374564107849730[/tweet]

The shown image is of a Splintercat, which is a Folklore animal(typical Cedar Fair names recently), that runs fast(like a roller coaster), and knocks down trees(like ALL of the teasers so far). I think this sounds like the name of an old CCI woodie that a smaller family run park bought in the 90s, honestly. At least you can pronounce the damn thing.