What's new

Kings Island | Mystic Timbers | GCI Wooden Coaster

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Oh no, you called my bluff @Ian. Yes, Beast is all things considered an average ride. What makes it an outstanding and unique roller coaster is its heritage: The stories of in-house Kings Island designers walking through the forest, deciding which trees they wanted to avoid cutting down. The napkin John Allen jotted vector equations onto as advice for the park. Beast designer Charles Dinn leaving Kings Island to create Dinn Corporation, the grandfather company of modern wooden roller coasters that spawned Custom Coasters International, and GCI and Gravity Group in turn. All of that is what makes Beast a very good ride.

However, the ride itself consists of many straightaways and turns taken at moderate speeds. Outside of a phenomenal night ride sensation best experienced under specific circumstances (front seat, at night when it's a new moon, slightly chilly air); Beast's sheer size and scope are it's next best attributes. Beast in many ways reminds me of Gemini - a fun, good ride with nothing uniquely outstanding on the surface. Gemini in it's heyday however was the roller coaster to ride in America, simply due to it's world record claims and racing feature. It was ancillary attributes, rather than the ride layout itself, that made it stand out.

Mystic Timbers will indeed be a better average ride experience than Beast. But Mystic Timbers will also be competing against the culture that has been built around Beast, a culture that will have average park goers too quick to judge Mystic Timbers as a knock-off copy.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
@TLARides @Zek_Teh_Kek Even suggesting there is a comparison between Adventure Express and Mystic Timbers is blasphemy. I mean, Adventure Express is good... but it's no Thunderation.

Kings Island also tweeted a photo of the entrance a few days ago. I like the touch with the crashed truck!
Story driven, huh?

So since the trains are cars, does that mean that the car runs on stories?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Cue next Cincinnatian rant: "Man, I miss it when Kings Island was Paramount Parks, and [Insert Cedar Fair Renamed Ride] was [Insert Paramount Original Named Ride]. It was so much better!"

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Cue next Cincinnatian rant: "Man, I miss it when Kings Island was Paramount Parks, and [Insert Cedar Fair Renamed Ride] was [Insert Paramount Original Named Ride]. It was so much better!"
My parents everytime they refer to The Bat.

"Who wants to ride Top Gun?"

"You mean The Bat, right?"

"Yeah, that one."

TLARides

Hyper Poster
They look good. Though I think a little more detail could be put in.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I copied that link over this morning on my way into work, and didn't get chance to look at it properly.

I quite like it, although I want to see what they've done with the ride of the train too. I think the front of the car is a little too small, and I'm not completely sold on the scaffold pole, but I think it might all tie together quite nicely if the side of the trains are detailed well.

I'll also be interesting to see if they add any sort of rear bumper to the back of the train too. I've always quite liked the stretched car look of the New Texas Giant trains (minus the arm screens, of course).

Lofty

CF Legend
Rock n Roller Coaster.
Stealth.
Formusla Rossa.
Top Thrill Dragster.
Rita.
Master Thai.
New Texas Giant.
Verbolten.
iSpeed/Red Fire.
Nefeskesen.
Speed Monster.
Senza Fiato.
Red Force.
Fiorano GT Challenge.
Italian Job.
Van Helsing's Factory.
Lego Technic Coaster: Project X.
Lightning Rod.

That's just a few that spring to mind... But I'd hardly say it's overused.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ They crashed a truck into the entrance?

I dig the trains, especially since it isn't a race car.

Edward M

Strata Poster
^ Didn't see that. Ya, that's honestly a fantastic touch. This brings me hope for the shed to actually have something pretty cool. Theming looks great!