What's new

Kings Dominion | Tumbili | S&S Freespin | 2022

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster

The latest rumor now is that The Crypt is being replaced with a 4D Free Spin, potentially shorter than the standard model at various Six Flags parks. I'm not certain if this attraction will be "filler" for another large investment down the road, as I've heard that Six Flags free spins might have costed $12 million apiece - twice as much as a Skyrocket II, Mine Blower, or Full Throttle did. While this, if it is happening, would certainly be interesting - the last time Cedar Fair directly worked with S&S was Skyhawk at Cedar Point, I believe - I can't help but feel a little disappointment; although many of us were not the biggest fans of a miniature-scale B&M Wing coaster replacing Volcano: The Blast Coaster, in my opinion this would be even less of a worthy successor.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Hey, some news!

Work continues, and the latest continues to point at a free spin.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Glad that track arrived safely after we gave it its send off at the RMC facility ;)

It's irking me that whoever took the photo didn't align the shot such that the park was in the background. I'm assuming these are staged at the park since it's a KD fansite, but it'd still be nice to have the explicit confirmation.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
It's irking me that whoever took the photo didn't align the shot such that the park was in the background. I'm assuming these are staged at the park since it's a KD fansite, but it'd still be nice to have the explicit confirmation.

Yeah, but having been to the park (or parking lot in the off season) like +50 times.... I'm pretty sure that's the KD lot, I was trying to see if Street View could lineup the shot but had no luck... but it does seem like the same area in the parking lot where they held the I305 track that I drove past twice when it was being built.
In the track photo you can see the 2 cell towers with the left one being taller, you can see all the picnic shelters, and you can see all the handicap parking signs
and if you flipped the view 180 from this screenshot you would see the gross semi-paved overflow parking area at KD and thats where the 305 track was.
PKD.png

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Yeah that's definitely KD's ugly gravel lots. The exit road out of the park shouldn't be an option to drive on, so I'm guessing these were taken on Doswell Rd. just past the train tracks:
1594866264699.png
I'm sure we'd all be more familiar where KD stages new coaster track if they added ones more frequently?

Matt N

CF Legend
Interesting… what happened to the Free Spin they were supposedly getting? Come to think of it, Dorney’s woodie kind of disappeared off the radar, too…

It would be a shame to see Avalanche go, as I actually find its namesake at Blackpool Pleasure Beach rather fun and the ride type is getting ever rarer, but I won’t complain if we get a really great replacement, and with Cedar Fair’s track record, I have every faith that we will!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I would have put my money on Anaconda going first but this removal would make more sense location-wise due to it's proximity to the Volcano plot. However, I really enjoy these rides so I will be sad to see it go if it does. I guess the other potential reasons for this change are long term maintenance, a social distancing issue or a cost saving measure.