What's new

Killer Whales Confirmed at Chimelong Ocean Kingdom

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This has been suspected for a while, but Chimelong have finally confirmed that they are holding orcas.

https://qz.com/919644/chinas-amusem...e-nations-first-killer-whale-breeding-center/

It was confirmed in 2013 that Russia had exported two whales to China, but with no details as to where they went. The obvious guess was Chimelong since Ocean Kingdom was about to open. In 2014, a further 5 were reported as imports by China - again with no details of exact locations - but Russia (it must be Russia) didn't declare them as exports.

It now seems that Chimelong actually have nine killer whales.

They're currently in a holding facility undergoing training. I haven't been to the park for a while, so I have no idea how far along any long-term/performance pool is coming. There were no obvious signs of anything last time I was there.

Personally, I'm not happy about it, but it was inevitable at some point given the huge numbers of marine facilities opening all over the country.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm really not shocked at this, completely against it, but I do find it a bit hilarious that China are just like "**** you" to the rest of the world that's completely against the captivity of such wildlife.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Yeah that's kinda snakey. I doubt it'll get picked up by mainstream media as well.

Whilst this is occurring and Lolita is still stuck in Miami Seaqurarium, Seaworld are still being hung out to dry repeatedly by the GP. Kind of annoying given the masses are pretty uneducated when it comes to this whole debate.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, while I'm personally against it, I find it hard to begrudge them doing something that North America and Europe have already done. Millions of Americans and Europeans have already seen these animals even if public attitudes are now moving away from it. It would seem a bit hypocritical to condemn China for it and smacks of cultural superiority really.

I don't think whales and dolphins should be kept in captivity - at all - but China actually has strict regulations with regards to how they're kept, much stricter than most countries, including the USA. Couple that with the fact that there is now decades-worth of information regarding keeping these animals, and they'll do a "good" job of it, certainly in-line with Sea World at any rate, and much better than the likes of Miami Seaquarium.

Again, I'm not defending this - I think it's awful - but I won't take a "we're better than them" attitude towards it simply because it's China.

Lofty

CF Legend
What I wrote wasn't meant to read like that whatsoever, it was just a case of 'Why now?' after everything that's gone on, NOW just seems a weird time to do it. But I do understand why they have, it's a completely different market.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Sorry, that wasn't aimed at the responses here. Just me thinking out loud with regards to how I feel about it.

I want to condemn it totally, but that would be a dick move on my part having seen the Sea World shows already, so I really can't.

If it was an American or European park importing wild orcas under the current climate, I'd be horrified.

Why now is basically because they're only now in a position to, in terms of money, audience and facilities. As you said, they don't give a f**k about Western attitudes.

Ben

CF Legend
I kind of love the audacity of it.

They'll know what's happening everywhere else, but they just don't give a ****.

I just the love the ****kkkk you we're getting them attitude. China <3

mouse

Giga Poster
Not overjoyed by this, would've hoped they could have a successful ocean themed area without keeping orcas but there you go. I just hope they don't start spouting the whole 'we're just doing this for conservation and education' horse ****.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ They haven't pulled that bollocks so far with their other animals, so I don't think they'll do it here. Well, there's basic information around, but they're not pretending to be anything other than an entertainment venue.

Having said that, they have been quietly funding conservation research into Chinese white dolphins around the Hong Kong area. They're not making this explicit at the park at all - it isn't mentioned anywhere as far as I know - so it's not just a front for everything else. Out of all of the facilities holding whales and dolphins in China, they're the only group to be using any money at all in that way.

Polar Ocean World, under construction in Shanghai, has a killer whale stadium in the plans, so there'll be more to come. I guess there's a chance some of these could be sent up there.

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Will they get celebrities and guests to kiss the Killer Whales on the mouth like they do with the Belugas?
That could be fun to watch.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Polar Ocean World, under construction in Shanghai, has a killer whale stadium in the plans, so there'll be more to come. I guess there's a chance some of these could be sent up there.

Yep, this park has some, but not from Chimelong's group of nine. It makes sense that Chimelong wouldn't want to supply animals to a competitor I guess.

Currently, from what's known, Chimelong has the nine mentioned before - no idea if these are on display yet, but Jordan is heading there in the next couple of days - Polar Ocean World has another 4, and there are 2 at Wuxi Changqiao Ocean Kingdom, which opens in 2019.