What's new

Kentucky Kingdom | Lightning Run | Chance Rides Hyper GT-X

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: Kentucky Kingdom | Lightning Run | Chance Rides Hyper GT

BBH said:
3-block rides like El Toro can only run two trains, you are correct. El Toro's final brake run does not contain any friction assembly on it, so the train cannot be stopped in an emergency, therefore it is not a block

Just to clear up any discrepancies for people who haven't ridden it. El Toro's 'final brake run' that BBH is talking about is the brake run before making the turn into the station (which used to pass on top of Rolling Thunder). That brake run only has magnetic fins on it to slow the train down, while the actual final brake run is right behind the station, containing the transfer track along with it. This system is really a prime example of what not to do with the blocking of a roller coaster since in order to use the storage/maintenance bay a train has to be stopped on the lift or at the lift base while the other train is moved into/out of the station.

From a rider's standpoint the ride is great, but from an operator's standpoint the ride is one crooked SOB.

davidm

Strata Poster

Rode this today... s'very nice indeed.

Kid-friendly, not so friendly for the larger patron though, saw a few denials.

Ride is loaded with ejector airtime, a few sharp turns and the twisty bit towards the end is also great.

Restraints were fine, the shin guards don't grab your legs at all, just prevent you moving your leg forwards. The lap bar is tight (but it needs to be with that ejector air) - ride ops put the lap bar down on every rider so stapling is the order of the day.

IMHO not a megalite beater; but certainly up-there with the best of the smaller steels - a great ride for the park (which was looking pretty good as well compared to the 6F years (even if its half-a-park now))

Some quick pics then;

Landscaping still a bit "work in progress";

Restraints;

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Doesn't look fatty friendly. How's the rest of the park look? I know it's kinda a WIP and it'll take a few years to get up to par, but just wondering overall opinions.

That purple train is sexy.

davidm

Strata Poster

Considering its WIP, I thought it was looking good - better than I expected. Lots of the new ride areas were quite sketchy - I mean around the new rides there wasn't much in the way of landscaping / scenery but thats to be expected. The older ride areas were all clean and tidied up, the water park looked really very good though and to me that was where they were always going to make their money.

I'd been there a couple of times before, back in 6F days and never really liked it, but today was different, much nicer atmosphere (even though the place was midweek-empty) and I hope it lasts the distance.