What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Snoo

The Legend
I wonder if the footprint is enough for a Raptor Clone.

tenor.gif

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
Got some flexibility in our trip plans that mean we could squeeze a day in here instead of more time at Canada's Wonderland, but it would be the day after opening so not sure whether to risk it. I feel like this cred, being a new kind of thing for S&S has a high probability of breaking down. Hmm.
Well hopefully the 1,000 test runs it has to do before opening helps them work out some of the initial kinks.

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
I wonder if the footprint is enough for a Raptor Clone.
I just compared the space in that part of the park to the footprint of railblazer using satellite images.

There is enough square footage, unfortunately the shape of the space where Sky Rocket sits is awkward because the highway curves around towards the south and the 119 year old Old Mill boat ride is right next to it on the other side.

If Kennywood got really creative removing some buildings and reshaping paths maybe they could make it work, but it seems like a big effort to get a clone to fit. It's so tight I actually think it's basically impossible.

Best case scenario IMO is Sky Rocket sits SBNO for a few more years, the park then uses the funds from a huge attendance increase from Steel Curtain and throws a custom built raptor layout in that spot.

That doesn't seem likely, but a man can dream.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Hope we get a POV soon, looks like it's going to be pretty interesting.

Has the park given any update on Sky Rocket at all this season?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Hope we get a POV soon, looks like it's going to be pretty interesting.

Has the park given any update on Sky Rocket at all this season?

Dude, this was literally just asked on the previous page...

Off topic, but does anyone know when Sky Rocket is expected to re-open, if at all? I'm sure I've seen this mentioned somewhere...
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/c7mm0q
Last I heard, the park and Premier are arguing over a purchase order for whatever this "highly specialized" equipment is.

That Reddit link contains an email from the park stating the current status of the ride's repairs.

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
The fact they haven't released a POV yet and the ride has probably done over 1,000 test runs and opens in less than 48 hours is killing me.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The fact they haven't released a POV yet and the ride has probably done over 1,000 test runs and opens in less than 48 hours is killing me.
Apparently the press preview is tomorrow so there should be some coverage soon. Predictably Steelers players are due to ride I think.

Hutch

Strata Poster
If it's smooth, it'll be good. If not...

It looks like quite the intense ride though. Whole thing is just absurd.

bernatc22

Mega Poster
Not my favorite style of layout, but holy crap this thing is absolute bonkers. This ride easily gets to the level of crazyness of the smiler, perhaps even more!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
Not my favorite style of layout, but holy crap this thing is absolute bonkers. This ride easily gets to the level of crazyness of the smiler, perhaps even more!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
I just wish smiler was designed more like this ride with variety instead of having 8 corkscrews lol

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think that looks great. As a ride experience, mind. It's still a horrific eyesore.

I can't wait to here feedback from the media day. I believe CF will be in attendance, so keep your eyes peeled on our social media channels and forums where I'm hoping we will have lots of cool updates!

Matt N

CF Legend
CoasterForce has posted a Facebook review saying it's a great ride, with fun inversions and unexpected airtime!

I'm really glad this seems to have turned out relatively well so far; hopefully the successful launches of this and Maxx Force will really cement S&S as a quality coaster manufacturer!

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
Just watched a POV. Looks like the least graceful roller coaster ever. Not that that matters, if it rides fine it rides fine of course. But just so ugly. ;)

Snoo

The Legend
Well, it was good! You aren't breaking any records and I don't expect any top 10s out of it but it was fun! The front is the best seat with great views, hangtime, and airtime. You get unexpected airtime in spots as well which was delightful. Was able to get on it 10 times all around the train. Jerry agreed with that sentiment as well.

Overall? 8/10.