What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
What do you mean? I guess maybe over text my inflection came out wrong. I was serious about being thankful for the review! And that makes sense. I haven't ridden the ride, but I can see where it would be really good, but not top 10 material.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
I got to ride it about 7 times on the media day. Never got the very front or very back, but often got 2nd front and 2nd back. I really enjoyed it! It's really two different coasters in one... first half has a lot of large inversions, and the 2nd half is more low to the ground with quick turns and changes of directions. Reminded me a bit of Maverick. Most airtime is in the 2nd half. No brakes anywhere, so you just fly like crazy until it's done. View as you go up the lift hill is spectacular, and there's a sort of headchopper as you go up the lift hill... you get so close to a support beam, you can nearly touch it.

While I'm usually a back seat guy on steel coasters, I enjoyed this one much more in the front, since it seemed to be more intense for the 2nd half/Maverick lite half. Those who enjoyed the big drops seemed to prefer the back half, which, for that, is admittedly better.

There is a small vibration to the ride, and to me it was the same in all seats (front or back). But it surprisingly did not dectract from the comfort of the ride at all... it felt very re-ridable (I mean, I did it 7 times). I don't know if it's a #1, but it may have actually cracked my Top 5. I have extensive pics on my twitter (same as my user name here).

Pear

Strata Poster
From what I've heard the ride was supposed to open at 11, but they actually opened around 12 with 1 train. The wait is averaging around 5-7 hours with a 2nd train just recently added. You also have to sign a waiver in order to ride since the park is filming. Why they decided to open the ride with 1 train and add the 2nd later is beyond me.

In other news Sky Rocket is finally testing

rideguy70

Mega Poster
They were running only one train for the media event yesterday as well, but it was just media, so it wasn't too big of a deal. I did ask an employee if they planned on one or two train ops for opening day, and she said "We'd better have two trains!" So they knew... I'm guessing there must've been a technical glitch of some kind.

Snoo

The Legend
They were running only one train for the media event yesterday as well, but it was just media, so it wasn't too big of a deal. I did ask an employee if they planned on one or two train ops for opening day, and she said "We'd better have two trains!" So they knew... I'm guessing there must've been a technical glitch of some kind.

The ride was certified for official opening on Wednesday. Given some of the glitches we saw on Media Day, I'm not surprised tbh.

Also I was definitely there and you didn't even say hi? YOU KILLING ME SMALLS!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Snoo has basically described it the way I would. The rumble is more pronounced further in the back than the front, but can be felt throughout. The Renegade soundtrack playing up the lift hill is a waste as it can't be heard due to the loud chain and anti-rollback clatter. Most importantly, the front seat is the way to go. So unless you have time for re-rides, it's worth the extra time it takes to queue up for the front row. The difference between front and back is similar to what I said about Maxx Force, only opposite.
I also attended the opening day. The queue was about 2.5 to 3 hours and everyone said it was worth the wait. Lots of comments about how smooth the ride is as well. Definitely a hit with the GP.

I haven't posted the off-ride video yet (still editing it), but I did film the only 4K/60fps POV.

And here I'm riding with Mr. Sexy himself. Again the only one in 4K/60fps.

I also got to ride with Pittsburgh Steelers' offensive tackle Matt Fieler. Braedon from B Free Media, Scott from Upstop Media and I had a real laugh watching this at the end of a very long day. The guy's a beast!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
We waited about 2 hours or just under today. Ride is smooth, only rattle o thought really was on the airtime hump but the ride isn't really about airtime it's more about big swooping inversions and tight turns. Really enjoyed it, it feels pretty high up as it's a small train and lift than your average hyper and the drachen loop is cool, being upside down that high is a bit daunting as you go I to it. Must say I had my hands up and had to stop myself from grabbing on as we started to invert. Ride is really fast and looks better in person (as lots have said during construction). You get a good sense of the speed in the queue line which is under the lift and track. It pulls some forces on some of the inversions/turns.

In conclusion, a really good ride and refreshing to ride something different where you have no idea about how it will ride before getting on (unlike say, a new rmc or b&m which have similar formats/formulas).

All in all a good addition. Almost didn't recognise the lagoon area from last year which was weird! Kennywood took a risk with something quirky but it looks like it paid off!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Alright, looks like I can’t make Steel Vengeance 200 if Sky Rocket is open. Uhh I guess it’ll be Mystic Timbers instead?

Still great to hear SR opening back up and good reviews from Curtain. I’m hoping the queues are a little lighter on Tuesday, and I won’t have all day there. I’ll try to hit it first thing and nab the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Finally seen a couple of videos of riders, it looks epic. I was wondering what the airtime would be like, and looks like there's some pretty hefty doses, tons of hangtime. Anyone who's ridden, is it intense/forceful at all?

I also hear Skyrocket is opening up again, since it was closed last time this is when I start looking at flights to KW lol

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Finally seen a couple of videos of riders, it looks epic. I was wondering what the airtime would be like, and looks like there's some pretty hefty doses, tons of hangtime. Anyone who's ridden, is it intense/forceful at all?

I also hear Skyrocket is opening up again, since it was closed last time this is when I start looking at flights to KW lol

Sorry if I sound like I'm coming off as an ass, but it's clear when someone hasn't read any of the recent posts. Both Snoo and ECG provided their reviews of the ride and I posted a video from the park stating that Sky Rocket has indeed reopened.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Fantastic stuff as ever, Jerry! Awesome footage.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
In terms of airtime, no. But in terms of comfort/re-ridability, length, and variety, yes. So it depends what you like.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not a big fan of the airtime at the end of Phantom's Revenge and prefer the airtime on Steel Curtain, which comes in the middle of the ride. However, Phantom does have the fantastic second drop, which Curtain lacks. I'm giving Steel Curtain the edge for pacing and buildup to a better ending than Phantom's Revenge as well as what rideguy said.