What's new

Jazz (and film scores!) in the living room

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Great stuff Tom! I'm a huge classic jazz fan (Brubeck, Getz, Monk, Gillespie, Coltrane, Davis, Ellington, Basie, Parker, Fitzgerald, Holiday, Simone, etc.). Watermelon Man is one of my favorites (especially the Mongo Santamaria version), but Take Five is the best song ever written. Think you can give that a go? You on the sax & your pop on the bass?

Tom

Hyper Poster
And here it is!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-i0Nm_t6c&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Tom! I can't believe you posted it so quickly. I knew it would be good and you two didn't disappoint. :--D
Thanks for accepting my friend request as well. :wink:

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Ah, Take Five, so that's what that song is called XD.

I must confess I hate jazz (I've tried to like it but it's just never sat right with me), but that doesn't stop me from being impressed! I love the sound of the sax and you're excellent at it Tom :D. Keep it up!

Double basses are cool too :p.

Tom

Hyper Poster
I know it's been a while but here's a new one here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJzmmOrbgmY&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

jack.bell

Mega Poster
wow your pretty dam good. i play the sax and just passed grade 4 with a merit. i also know watermelon man i guess all good jazz sax players must learn it! do you know a night in tunisia or song for my father(horace silver.) well done!

Tom

Hyper Poster
Sorry for the long break people, but I have an excuse...

I've been spending the last few weeks using Sibelius 5 software (music writing equipment) to create film scores for orchestras. So far I have done Star Wars beginning and end, and Back to the Future's main theme. Only one's uploaded now, but when I get a chance, I will put the rest up.

Enjoy!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YwKbbWbmoQ[/youtube]

Rush

Giga Poster
Very impressive! That takes a LOT of patience to put together, I find it takes me a half hour to do about 10 bars on Sibelius anyway and that's with only a few instruments and not a full orchestra! Did you compose it by ear?

I'm not a fan of Jazz music but I've heard a couple of the pieces and it does sound very good! I do however LOVE music from the movies and can't wait to hear your Back to the Future arrangement as it's a piece I'm currently learning! (Full of nasty triplets! Eurgh!)

Keep it up, I shall be watching this topic closely.

Tom

Hyper Poster
3 bits of information (all good).

1) New video! Continuing with the movie trend, this is Back to the Future.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7OaGWxRvo[/youtube]

2) I'm going to play some jazz in a concert with a proper bass and drums section. The are both amazing! (it should be recorded)

3) I have simplified the Star Wars score to make it easy enough for the school orchestra and the conductor is letting us play it! The school orchestra is pretty samn fine so it's not that simplified!

IT is a happy day for Tom!

And Rush: Cheers for the comments, and yes I do it all by ear. I find that if I do a reasonable days work on Sibelius, I can produce around 1 to 1 and a half minutes of music of basic structure and then once everything's completed I spend a while tidying it up. I am also hoping to transcribe more film music and I have a plan...my 1 year Star Wars project. Hopefully within a year, I will have produced all the music in the original Star Wars film. I have finished the beginning and the end and a I have started work on a few of the less common pieces in the middle.

Lain

Giga Poster
There are a couple of notes I'm not sure about here and there, but yeah, this is amazing stuff!

You say you did it all by ear, do you have perfect pitch?

Tom

Hyper Poster
Lain, when I say all by ear, I mean I have a keyboard to help me work things out and though I would like perfect pitch, I don't. :(