What's new

Jarrett's Engineering Lab [RCT3]://Swamp Angel

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
This coaster was supposed to be part of my Holiday World Vancouver project I started back over the winter that never came to fruition due to lag. However, with me riding Thunderbird this Friday and the fact that it was such an awesome concept, I decided that this one ride was too awesome not to finish. So ladies and gentlegoons, I give you The Tempest!

favYsze.jpg

w1TWKGl.png

Those who travel among the rugged, wooded mountains of the western coast of North America frequently run into what was considered sacred ground by the original inhabitants of the landscape. Some, looking to take shelter from the harsh weather that batters the ageless mountains, have come across this seemingly innocent outpost. However, it is apparent you can never completely avoid whatever the sky has in store, judging by the storage scaffolding atop the outpost, charred and scorched by the many bolts of lightning that have hit it.

FHEZeVM.png

The Kwakwaka'wakw and Cowichan tribes that call the area home speak of a large bird-like creature that rules the skies over the mountains.

BiMMUDm.png

This bird has monstrously large wings the size of canoes. When it flaps them, it draws the clouds together in the sky.

XGCiNIk.png

The deafening sound made when it beats its wings creates a thundering roar in the sky.

g7xBYWM.png

When it blinks its glowing eyes, light flashes across the sky.

y849wXA.png

Man may try to avoid this reckless demonstration of the sky's power, but it cannot be stopped.

9mgGB8W.png

The Tempest happens whenever it happens and dominates the mountains and their inhabitants with its might and beauty.

GvhA7AD.png

Story time over! This is my full layout. It was sort of a mashup between what Thunderbird ended up being verses what my final guess was as 66 Days at Sea was wrapping up. The ride itself is almost done bar some technical details, right now my focus is on the ride's plaza and trying to make a realistic and immersive forest environment for it to travel through.

Key things I changed from the Thunderbird concept were the addition of the flat spin over the hunting tower, the addition of keyholes, and most importantly, a change to the theme I felt the ride deserved. My thoughts were that it would be a multi-launching B&M wing coaster themed to the Thunderbird legend. It would have trains themed like totem pole thunderbirds and would pass through two totem pole-themed keyholes on the end of Thanksgiving opposite from Voyage. This way, you would have Native Americans and Pilgrims each having an entrance. Considering how Holiday World already had the Lewis and Clark canoe ride in Fourth of July, they have clearly thought it would make a good theme in their park at least once.

My issue currently is making an immersive forest that looks convincing with which to surround the area. Any advice? I've always loved the Pacific Northwest and want to do it justice.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Jarrett's Engineering Lab [RCT3]://The Tempest

It may not be the prettiest, but the in game Douglas Firs. Can't go wrong with them Douglas Firs.

The ride itself looks great! I love that Topple Tower in the turn. Looks really cool. It also appears to dive down a cliff? That part also looks cool. Can't wait for a POV.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Jarrett

GuyWithAStick said:
It may not be the prettiest, but the in game Douglas Firs. Can't go wrong with them Douglas Firs.

The ride itself looks great! I love that Topple Tower in the turn. Looks really cool. It also appears to dive down a cliff? That part also looks cool. Can't wait for a POV.

Glad you enjoy! And thanks for the tip, combined with the sugar pines and some CS pine trees it looks very authentic! You'll get to see that cliff today as well! :wink:

-x-

So I wasn't going to do an update today but decided that I'm going to since I'll be on Thunderbird tomorrow! :D I should get to bed since I have to wake up at 6 to leave for Beech Bend (get some creds on the way!) but I really want to get this out there.

QVCjaC5.png

The coaster is shrouded by the forest at just the right level in my opinion. It still allows you to see the beautiful structure in motion, but you still can't tell exactly what it does. Compare this to being totally unable to see Phoenix in its entirety or how you could only see The Hag's lift hill from one spot on the ride's plaza and I think I hit this right on the nose for The Tempest.

CY6HvXw.png

In the middle of the woods lies a plankhouse, commonly built by the First Nations of British Colombia. Containing two thunderbird totem poles, torches, and various items gathered from the forest, the dwelling celebrates both the beauty and power that nature can provide. Emphasis on power, however, as the roof appears to have been slightly charred by lightning more than once.

Vy91Qid.png

The storm is starting! Fog envelops the mountain range, rain falls from the heavens, and lightning flashes, lighting up the night after dark.

Ji4zNu7.png

Riders surge down the launch track at 62 miles per hour, reaching top speed in four seconds. Immediately out of the launch, riders are immediately faced with a near-miss right out the gate in the form of two totem poles. After that close call, the winged beast shoots to the sky through a 127-foot vertical loop.

MY2LEAF.png

After the loop, the train enters a horseshoe turn through two more near-misses, narrowly missing the two towers of timber.

aIZlcpq.png

The creature, carried on wings the size of canoes, then floats over an airtime speed hill before heading up into the mountains.

c0uljpO.png

The carousel element here beautifully interacts with the mountainous landscape. While it is a large, intense element, it never really gets you that high off the ground.

kPnQYMb.png

It then slowly and gently rolls through an inline twist, scraping the riders against this rock formation. Fly safely here, these rocks have stood up to the elements for eons, they aren't backing down today!

1yGKP5l.png

After roosting at the top of the mountain for a brief bit of calm in the storm with astonishing views, the creature then flies onward, performing a gentle s-curve atop the mountain.

L3KOAvL.png

Here's where the storm gets dangerous! Coming out of the s-curve, the train snaps through a very tight zero-g roll before the flying legend dives in for the kill! As soon as you're right-side up again, the train dives over 100 feet from the top of the mountain down into the ravine below, almost taking with it this rope bridge built by the First Nations.

TO BE CONTINUED...

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Sounds great. Seems like a mix of Thunderbird and Wild Eagle. Keep it up!

Love the near misses. Especially ones where you pass by diving under it.

Jarrett

GuyWithAStick said:
Sounds great. Seems like a mix of Thunderbird and Wild Eagle. Keep it up!

Love the near misses. Especially ones where you pass by diving under it.

There wasn't much Wild Eagle in there (though I see what you mean with it being on a mountain partially) but it is a great coaster so if it rides like Wild Eagle I'm not complaining! It was supposed to be more of exaggeration of Thunderbird's concept.

Glad you like it! You'll see it again today!

-x-

Another day another update!

11265482_1071575552871471_3682898675547031048_n.jpg

Before I go anywhere, there's an elephant in the room and I'll address it. I know what you're thinking, "how was Thunderbird?" My answer? Phenomenal. That launch is really aggressive for a manufacturer's first time doing one, you get some good air on the immelman, the loop is nice and intense, both overbanks feel a tad unnecessary but they do provide some nice visuals and okay forces. The zero-g roll is really sick and you get thrown around a bit going through it. The barn is really awesome the first time, some decent forces (though a bit of rattle) in the carousel, and on the left, if you get it, the second time through the barn is awesome. The in-line is also really sweet and you fall into your vest, it's awesome. Definitely the best of the wing coasters I've ridden (Thunderbird, GateKeeper, and Wild Eagle) and it's great to finally see the graceful nature of a wing coaster get some force to it. If you get to ride it, I'd highly recommend it. Having seen how it rides, I can tell you that Tempest would surely be world-class if it were built.

Dt89GKn.png

Onto the ride! After you get thrown off that cliff, The Tempest storms under a First Nations suspension bridge built over the ravine before heading into an overbank back up into the hills. It looks serene in its natural environment...until you're on it!

n83I0QQ.png

It goes right over the launch track!

mE5fR27.png

After hitting a turn on land, The Tempest's final inversion, a flat spin, storms right past this archery tower. It doesn't destroy it, however, saving it from the wrath of the storm...for now.

hxBzhVB.png

The Tempest's final act is a turn that skims this pond, a totem pole-themed flat ride looming overhead as the water bombs soak riders on both rides.

KTKJOu1.png

And after a launch, a loop, an overbank, a camelback, a carousel, an inline, an s-curve, a zero-g, another overbank, a flat spin, a turn that skims the water, and one final pop of airtime over the entrance to the ride plaza, The Tempest finally lets up and hits the brakes.

oRedD1N.png

In regards to the station, any advice? There's plenty of theming at the front but what else could I do? Maybe some themed lights?

aHoEGoD.png

Thunderbird's show room was heavily themed as well, any advice on what I should add to Tempest's?

Longhouse.jpg

This was the type of building I modeled the station after.

Jarrett

Teaser is live! Expect the full product within a week!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edYLrLCsFLc[/youtube]

The reason this took so long to get out was because of my next project. I can't start it with a blank slate like I did this one, I'm starting my next project with a completed product and modifying that product. What I'm doing is taking an existing coaster that I've ridden and making a series of major modifications to it. Any guesses as to which coaster this will be? Hint: It's only in one state.

Jarrett

scw55 said:
I like it.
Thanks!

-x-

Happy Canada Day! Since this project was initially intended to be the centerpiece attraction for the Canada Day section of my Holiday World Vancouver park, I thought it would be appropriate that it get released on this day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7JvRih_Yao[/youtube]

Also, if you liked that, check out my next project! A greater Carolina area coaster forum has spotted some mysterious orange paint on Carowinds's Vortex B&M standup and nobody's quite sure why they painted it. Follow this exciting project to see how this develops!

Jarrett

66 Turbo

Get ready to get your kicks on America's Main Street! Winding through southern Missouri and stretching as far east as Chicago and as far west as Los Angeles is the historical Route 66, an American icon. Snaking around the peaks and valleys of the Ozarks, one can get a beautiful view of Missouri cruising down the mother road. Enter a classic Route 66 service station and buckle into a classic American roadster. Now rev your engine and hit the gas as you speed through the mountainous southern Missouri landscape, power steering around cliffside guardrails and shooting over hills and getting airborne. Experience it all on 66 Turbo, it's time to motor west!

40JdQNp.png

The Dine 'n' Dash on Route 66 is where your tour begins. Grab a bite to eat at Pit Stop before heading into the service bay to meet your ride.

4Awwfur.png

The Route 66 tours are so popular you might have to wait outside in the gas station first, though.

nsOUPzb.png

They've been hard at work tuning up the roadster, making sure everything's performing optimally to handle the hilly southern Missouri landscape.

AGrie4o.png

Floor it and fly over that hill, your wheels might actually leave the road!

TQ0RKPO.png

I'll leave you with an overview of the road you'll be traveling on. Notice the quintuple down at the end? ;)

So this is my first project in a while (engineering school sucks don't ever do it) but I'm making it count. 66 Turbo is a Lightning Rod-inspired launched RMC topper track. I got the idea for this trip from a.) my upcoming trip to Dollywood with my girlfriend for the Coaster Crew event there (ERT on Lightning Rod at night!) and b.) our last trip to Silver Dollar City, driving through southern Missouri on the old Route 66 and stopping at a Route 66-themed rest stop. The idea is that this is what Silver Dollar City would have gotten had the concepts for Outlaw Run and Lightning Rod gone to the opposite park, with 66 Turbo paying homage to the long gone Route 66 that used to run through Missouri. The ride features a service station-themed queue line and station, a beautiful mountainous setting reminiscent of the landscape one might see on Route 66, a triple down right out of the station into a launch uphill, and its grand finale quintuple down element. I'm hoping to have it out by the time I ride Lightning Rod in March.

HELP!!!!
1. Can someone help a bro out and put Krypt's NTG cars onto the looping track so I can get a working themed CTR?
2. You can tell I partially supported this, but where do I go from here? I have verticals and ledgers in, now I need to finish up and add bents and the like. Is there a guide to do this properly? This is my first wooden coaster in RCT3 that I'm custom supporting.
3. What kind of trees should go on this ride? Are the ones I'm using now okay?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Looks pretty neat so far! If you don't have it already, I highly recommend you getting Big Burger's Timber set. But so far, it looks like you're doing it right. For trees, I think pines around the lake and oaks/generic trees everywhere else. I can't wait for more!

scw55

Hyper Poster
I recommend looking at pictures of real life mountain sides (not ones with plantations of forests) to see what kind of plants like growing on those steep slopes, and how dense it is.

Trees add texture and colour to a landscape, but I feel we over use them. Sometimes bushes enjoy steep slopes, and that adds interest to the landscape.

If in doubt what to do, Google image for what you want to achieve. I'm not telling you to replicate real life identically, but you can get ideas how to make your thing more engaging. I do this for architecture as well.

I like the foilagey area you've done already. Certainly softens the man-made structures in the area.

Jarrett

GuyWithAStick said:
Looks pretty neat so far! If you don't have it already, I highly recommend you getting Big Burger's Timber set. But so far, it looks like you're doing it right. For trees, I think pines around the lake and oaks/generic trees everywhere else. I can't wait for more!
Using BigBurger's Timber right now, you'll see how it's panning out today!

scw55 said:
I recommend looking at pictures of real life mountain sides (not ones with plantations of forests) to see what kind of plants like growing on those steep slopes, and how dense it is.

Trees add texture and colour to a landscape, but I feel we over use them. Sometimes bushes enjoy steep slopes, and that adds interest to the landscape.

If in doubt what to do, Google image for what you want to achieve. I'm not telling you to replicate real life identically, but you can get ideas how to make your thing more engaging. I do this for architecture as well.

I like the foilagey area you've done already. Certainly softens the man-made structures in the area.
Thanks! I've been looking at pictures and trying to get an authentic look to it. Thinking I'm getting the hang of it!

-x-

tYl5ObP.png

For those of you who prefer your trip on Route 66 to be a bit calmer in nature, might I suggest you take it a bit slower on Mother Road? Located right across the midway from 66 Turbo, this calm family car ride cruises along America's Main Street past all the sights. Through the farmland of Illinois, under the Gateway Arch and past a riverside town in Missouri, through a desolate ghost town out west, and ending in Santa Monica, this is the perfect way to make that California trip with kids.

QlZpanM.png

But the power of the open road commands a presence over the little kiddie ride.

d4HiCG1.png

Don't forget to snag a souvenir or two by which to remember Route 66!

VeeLLfm.png

The highways of Route 66 run deep through the Ozarks.

dFpXwBS.png

Such a liberating feeling ripping down the twisty open road!

Wgph6IL.png

The only thing better than flooring it down the highway with the windows down is when the wheels leave the road for a bit!

XUkWkpL.png

A nice cruise down Route 66 is as Americana as it gets.

cC3BLAC.png

At night, the Route 66 midway gets lit up with the electric glow of buzzing neon lights.

MtyKrU0.png

But one thing's for certain...

ITiGISR.png

Driving down the highway on a starry summer night is a whole different animal.

Jarrett

^Thanks!

-x-

With my girlfriend and I registering for the Coaster Crew Lightning Rod event today, thought I'd get an update out to show complete proximity foliage and supports!

BZk04ku.png

The launch up the mountainside complete with the triple down and helix is visible from the Route 66 Midway. I kind of want to make this a special spot, though. It's the only place you can really see much of the ride and I have the lift hill decorated with the neon for a reason.

kZKY2bL.png

Can you say quintuple down?

Pbjkrk0.png

The drop down into the valley where most of 66 Turbo takes place is not only steep...

mMKCOJj.png

...but it also goes through part of the wide supports for the Stengel dive!

IOeam2E.png

Extreme high-speed transitioning to be done here.

Kowl05M.png

66 Turbo, like Lightning Rod, is just a mess of twisting, turning, and airtime elements shooting along the terrain.

pfthJ5n.png

At the top of this plateau, the ride does a dive overlooking this waterfall.

Kowl05M.png

What goes double up must go double down...

CS2PxtU.png

Like I said in the last update, night drives along Route 66 under the stars are spectacular...

t48c3oT.png

Also got a station done for Mother Road. Anything else I should put on the Route 66 Midway? I should also mention I need a themed booth behind the gift shop for photos.

Jarrett

portemine said:
Route 66 looks very exciting! I like the Lightning Rod inspiration.
Thanks!

-x-

Well it took a while because I was waiting on a few tidbits from friends but I got it and it's up! Got a few final pictures and a POV for you all to enjoy!

2Tz21g5.png

Plenty of theming on the Route 66 midway.

RsaD74Q.png

Your stylin' cruiser can really tear up the Ozarks!

BNGQGTU.png

Aggression and ejector, my personal two favorite qualities a coaster can possess.

BxBR3Co.png

Eat 66 Turbo's dust!

8qxlLvi.png

Did you know that the little triple down out of the station is supposed to represent the revving of an engine?

vSB0qfC.png

The climax of this multi-down heavy RMC (seriously, we have a triple down, a double up and a double down already!) is the famed quintuple down that snakes down the mountain.

eHF8bv0.png

66 Turbo: The open road awaits!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TQVCAp6Ro[/youtube]

Special thanks to my girlfriend Emily for giving me pointers on the logo and my friend Ben for the IROC-certified safety spiel.

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
Holy smokes! That doesn't even look like RCT3. I don't like RCT3 coasters when they look like this - it feels so fake.

Just a personal preference - that must've taken A LOT of time and energy.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think it looks fantastic!

Lots of planning and attention to detail, and it pays off!

I particularly like the detail in the queue - the diner entrance is pretty cool.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I always respect people who have the patience to replicate hybird coasters in RCT3.
To top it off, the scenery is top notch!