What's new

Japan PTR - Part 9: Monkey Park and Higashiyama Zoo

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I’ve just come back off my Easter holiday, deciding to head back to Japan, which I haven’t visited since living in Tokyo for a while back in 2009. The plan was to hit up a bunch of parks I hadn’t done before, with a couple of revisits to places that had a few new additions since I’d been before.

I stayed in Fukuoka the first night, leaving bags at the hotel in the morning and getting a train down to Greenland. You can get a train/bus/park admission combo at the train station. It didn’t save a huge amount of money, but saved a fair bit of pissing about buying various tickets.

Greenland

I was literally the only person on the bus going to the park, but I arrived to a bunch of coaches in the car park and s**tloads of school kids.

DSC02404_zpsizv1kwak.jpg

The ticket I had didn’t include rides – I’d forgotten that most Japanese parks have separate entry and ride/wristband options – so I got in the queue for a wristband. They had some special offer on, selling wristbands at roughly half price, though this might not have been the best option, which I’ll explain later.

It seemed really busy, but the school trips must’ve just arrived at the same time as me. The park is pretty big, with loads of attractions, so by the time people had dispersed, it was actually fine. Knocked off a kiddy cred on the way to the first more substantial one:

DSC02408_zps1xjy6rqo.jpg

+1

It was right next to Grampus Jet, a Vekoma Swinging Turns coaster, one of only three. The others are at Bobbejaanland in Belgium and Dream World in Thailand.

DSC02401_zpsni2bo8n4.jpg

DSC02410_zpsskm3cq7k.jpg

DSC02412_zpsuqoazeq4.jpg

It probably would’ve been smarter to not go straight to a coaster near the entrance, but the queue was only about two trains long and operations were fine. Not great, but not Chinese.

DSC02415_zpswk9efik0.jpg

DSC02426_zpsyqguj0oo.jpg

It’s the same as the other two, but has the original trains rather than the floorless ones that have been added to the others. Anyway, I’ve got the full collection now, which is probably quite exclusive.

DSC02434_zpsdlz2g5au.jpg

DSC02439_zps2mrpxogx.jpg

DSC02437_zpsutnnjzou.jpg

Milky Way next, a Togo dueling stand-up/sit down thing:

DSC02428_zpsj5i2j5ev.jpg

DSC02438_zpswjpjdv6h.jpg

They’ve recently added on-board audio to the sit-down side, but the stand-up was still more popular. The audio was pointless anyway since the coaster is so loud that you can’t hear it once you’re out of the station.

DSC02441_zpsytcmysde.jpg

DSC02442_zpsolbbhiy8.jpg

DSC02446_zpsieoabc5y.jpg

DSC02448_zps0wrtyh5h.jpg

I did the sit-down first, then went right back around for the stand-up. I loved it. Both sides are excellent: pretty smooth with some really good airtime on both sides.

DSC02453_zpsyzfrcsqr.jpg

DSC02451_zpshodzjirf.jpg

DSC02456_zps8ipju6ws.jpg

See that blossoming cherry tree? That’s culture that is.

DSC02462_zps408ntavy.jpg

DSC02464_zps0p3tn9os.jpg

DSC02466_zpssgzkcsz9.jpg

DSC02467_zpsbjcijssq.jpg

DSC02471_zpsujcdfywr.jpg

So yeah, loved it. Moving on.

Didn’t do either of these two things. I planned to head back later in the day once I’d knocked off the coasters, but then that didn’t happen.

DSC02472_zps5fgq8fen.jpg

DSC02473_zpsjyzjb6ce.jpg

Crappy +1:

DSC02475_zpsqnif2p6p.jpg

DSC02476_zpseojhthc6.jpg

DSC02477_zpsk7p3ksob.jpg

Back to this stuff later:

DSC02483_zpsexzyipe0.jpg

They have incredibly cruelly left a loop from a former coaster standing as decoration, as a cruel taunt to everyone enjoying the otherwise nice view around the lake.

DSC02484_zps3s2kfdla.jpg

It’s a much more attractive park than I had been expecting. I did the rapids later in the day. They weren’t very good.

DSC02487_zpstlz2eotp.jpg

DSC02523_zps3klkfvxa.jpg

DSC02526_zpsmgswv5ll.jpg

They decided not to bother putting any restraints on the chairlift up the hill.

DSC02500_zps1qfn6g15.jpg

DSC02499_zpsfflkcecd.jpg

DSC02504_zpsk7yqeau2.jpg

One of these things winds back down. I got stuck behind some absolute c**t who could’ve got down more quickly if he slid on his arse.

DSC02505_zpsgue10rkk.jpg

Cryptic age limitations:

DSC02507_zpsok4sbc1m.jpg

DSC02511_zpsio39ld4m.jpg

Another +1, which had the actual audacity to have the longest queue.

DSC02514_zpsqmhggjqu.jpg

It doesn’t deserve a second picture.

It had been years since I’d done a Togo Wild Storm things. They’re vile, but amazing.

DSC02522_zpsngr2ulbz.jpg

Shooter was s**te, but luckily a walk-on.

DSC02525_zpsmqzbxjkn.jpg

Didn’t do the log flume.

DSC02528_zpsvvykwwxw.jpg

The ghost train was quite different. You wear headphones as you go through, those things that make it feel like people are whispering in your ear.

DSC02540_zpsjsgp9fdn.jpg

DSC02532_zpsyoxl2j6h.jpg

Another +1. It was actually quite good for a powered coaster, but lacked decent theming inside.

DSC02541_zpsu9bfubub.jpg

DSC02544_zpsuv8qwp1m.jpg

Other than Milky Way, the coaster I was most looking forward to was the Togo Ultra Twister. I’d only been to one park which had one before, Nagashima Spa Land, but it was down on the day I was there.

DSC02549_zpspnjofezi.jpg

DSC02556_zpsrfwskgfg.jpg

This one was open though, so yay!

DSC02565_zpsqqowmcs5.jpg

DSC02563_zpssgvdvzdu.jpg

DSC02566_zpsjoobrhir.jpg

It was quite fab. There’s some harsh shunting as it moved into the lift, tilt track sections and brakes, but the actual coaster bit is totally fine.

DSC02568_zpslcaty0hl.jpg
\

DSC02569_zpsgtmssfsd.jpg

DSC02570_zpsicxziadb.jpg

DSC02575_zpss97atoi3.jpg

The SLC had been closed up until this point, but opened as I was getting off Ultra Twister.

DSC02574_zps7idiktwg.jpg

DSC02584_zpsyl0f1zwf.jpg

DSC02581_zpstvzwf8ox.jpg

It was fine. I’ve definitely been on a lot worse. It felt really fast and forceful as well.

Ferris Wheel next:

DSC02610_zpsytivspga.jpg

DSC02589_zpshgbsiwav.jpg

DSC02600_zpskkxeslk8.jpg

DSC02606_zpswz4oyqqm.jpg

DSC02604_zpsaky3lnx4.jpg

DSC02608_zpszladqnx2.jpg

Bastards.

DSC02594_zpsqz6u6lek.jpg

By this point it was around 2pm and all the school trips were leaving. I’ve had this exact same experience in Japanese (and some Chinese) parks before and it’s all a bit weird. They go from being quite busy, with a decent atmosphere, to being totally deserted within minutes. I only had one coaster to polish off, Gao.

DSC02617_zpsji2iamce.jpg

DSC02614_zps0pj1oepu.jpg

DSC02635_zpsgogaq1tv.jpg

From pictures, most people get the idea that the dinosaur theming is on the lift and first drop, but it’s not; it’s actually the second hill. The first drop is ridiculously poor:

DSC02619_zps9raamfgk.jpg

The coaster itself was kind of fun, but it really doesn’t do much. It looks amazingly ridiculous though:

DSC02634_zpsulqk6erb.jpg

DSC02641_zpscy322br4.jpg

Since the park was now dead, I planned to get a few rerides in on Milky Way, Ultra Twister and maybe Gao. I couldn’t though. I don’t know whether it’s because of the discounted wristband I’d bought or whether it was normal, but I could only ride once on each thing (they scan the wristbands at the ride entrances).

This really f**king pissed me off. They were literally sending the Milky Way trains with between 2 and 5 people in them, and I couldn’t just hop on.

Tat:

DSC02643_zpshopp4gap.jpg

I ended up just leaving at around 3, getting a bus and train back to Fukuoka, grabbing my bags from the hotel and getting a train to the next city.

I liked this park though. It had been on my “must-do” list for a while thanks to the sheer number of coasters, but I left feeling pissed off because of the restrictions on the wristband, and that’s never good.

When I was planning this trip, I had thought to stop off at Space World since I was travelling past it anyway, but decided against it. Zaturn is new since I was there, but I’m sure it’ll pop up somewhere else.

Next up: Beppu area.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The duelling (dueling?) Togos are really fab. There's something about the pastel colours and bright blue sky in your pictures which makes them look really nice (aesthetically), and it's really fab to hear that they ride well too!

Gao is one of those coasters that I've seen for years and years (right back to my early enthusiast days just Googling "roller coasters"), and for some reason I just assumed it has been removed at some point. It's so pointless and brilliant!

Looking forward to the next part of this. :)

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Glad to hear that Milky Way is still holding up nicely - it was fab when I visited 10 years ago. The Ultra Twister is also a good laugh if a little clunky in places. The rest of the creds are pretty much as I remember them - except for the Shuttle Loop because I have that cred before it was spited to become an Alton Towers Corkscrew-style piece of decoration.

It doesn't look like they've added a great deal since I was there aside from that rapids ride - which tells us what we already knew about Japanese amusement park investment.
And I don't blame you for missing Space World - the Intamin will find a new home, but apart from the fab log flume pseudo-cred, nothing else there is really that good. The Arrow Hyper is a bit crap, the looper isn't all that, and the other creds are entirely forgettable.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I've got a bit of a soft spot for Space World since it's the first park I made a specific effort for as an enthusiast, certainly internationally, having joined these forums just a short while previously. I had to be in Fukuoka to get a Korean work visa, so added it in and really enjoyed it. I've been to sooooooooo many more parks since though, so I knew that it just wouldn't hold up now.

Next part:

I hadn’t looked when I arrived the night before, but it turns out my hotel room in Beppu had a nice view, which I enjoyed for all of twenty seconds before I left. There’s a tiny bit of culture coming up, but not much – it will be kept to a minimum for this report since this was 95% a cred trip.

DSC02647_zpszmhx0dyr.jpg

DSC02645_zpshn2gdqac.jpg

As with the previous day, I checked out early, but left bags at the hotel while I got creds during the day. Another option would’ve been to leave them at train stations, but all the hotels I used for this trip were within a 5-10 minute walk of the major stations anyway, so it was no big effort to just head back to collect them. The one time I decided to try using the stations it was impossible to find an available locker anyway.

Beppu is famous for its hot springs, or “hells”, so I went to have look in the morning before the parks since they were open from 8am. There are seven of them, but I just went to five that were close to each other, skipping the two that were further out even though, in hindsight, I would’ve had plenty of time.

It was a quick walk to the train/bus station to get a bus to the hells about 20-minutes away. No idea who this is:

DSC02649_zpsw4ybivix.jpg

In the areas of the hells, there’s steam pumping out of the ground all over the place.

DSC02653_zpsbdppkybk.jpg

Demon Mountain Hell was basically just a boiling pool.

DSC02654_zps9m5axxm6.jpg

DSC02658_zpsnxiarzxg.jpg

They use the natural heat to raise crocodiles outside – in a separate pool from the one which is literally boiling - which obviously wouldn’t survive a Japanese winter.

DSC02660_zpsescxzcq7.jpg

DSC02666_zpsekly1min.jpg

Next was the White Pond Hell, which was lovely. Since I’d got there early, I was only person at the first two places.

DSC02671_zpsxrdbhros.jpg

DSC02674_zpse4gwpc6y.jpg

DSC02678_zpseleobdjl.jpg

DSC02680_zps6duaa1yc.jpg

DSC02681_zpsazkf754g.jpg

DSC02688_zpsuqeuneaf.jpg

Next, Cooking Pot Hell had a few more people; it’s got foot spas and food cooked using the steam. It was probably my least favourite.

DSC02697_zpsocbjydfe.jpg

DSC02699_zps4jhqjyog.jpg

DSC02705_zpszboewjja.jpg

Sea Hell is the most popular. As I arrived, a couple of Korean tour buses had also got there. The grounds before you get to the actual Hell are really nice.

DSC02710_zpspnvwewhi.jpg

DSC02713_zpsubxd8zzr.jpg

DSC02756_zps3pt3nxuj.jpg

DSC02750_zpsmd0eqopw.jpg

DSC02718_zpsavrw0ik0.jpg

DSC02722_zpsary0qyil.jpg

DSC02731_zpsbmkf83yi.jpg

DSC02723_zpslq0foirt.jpg

DSC02751_zps0ii4sq2l.jpg

DSC02733_zpsdajxid1b.jpg

DSC02746_zpsirofqpbt.jpg

The last one: a bunch of small pools of grey f**k-knows-what bubbling away.

DSC02761_zpshql1dt61.jpg

DSC02766_zpsf1urqijq.jpg

DSC02779_zpsfylagxfi.jpg

All five places were within a few minutes’ walk of each other, and I’d deliberately got there early to time it with a bus from that area to the first park, which didn’t run too frequently by Japanese standards, though there would have been more options if I’d headed back into town first.

Anyway,

Kijima Kogen

I’d wanted to get to this place for ages. I hadn’t really realised, but it was way up in the mountains, so had a pretty stunning location. The entrance is fairly nondescript though.

DSC02790_zps3au6ezxo.jpg

It was sakura season, which made everything look even better, and there’s a volcano just chilling in the background.

DSC02792_zpsu9tkp6tt.jpg

Japanese culture and a cred:

DSC02800_zpsuik6rmqh.jpg

DSC02799_zpsplp7jkwz.jpg

That’s art that is.

DSC02801_zpsmfkjjjsf.jpg

DSC02814_zpst9fpzguw.jpg

Nothing special, but there was a surprising pop of airtime in one section.

DSC02803_zpscuhqgloj.jpg

Crap shooter:

DSC02804_zpsna8flrif.jpg

+1:

DSC02806_zpscfvrcriw.jpg

DSC02811_zpsgxy9zcdk.jpg

I was worried that the looper would be dreadful.

DSC02793_zpsfbeu5h3y.jpg

DSC02823_zpsjz2xjasd.jpg

It was, but not because it was rough. It was pretty smooth really, just horribly uneventful.

DSC02832_zpsjaq4tixw.jpg

DSC02825_zps2svugbmn.jpg

DSC02827_zps3gzily27.jpg

Another +1:

DSC02822_zpsk7qo69rf.jpg

DSC02829_zpsusbeozs0.jpg

So that was four out of five coasters knocked out in under half an hour – they were all basically on top of each other near the entrance – so I headed further down into the park. The theming on the flying island was quite fab.

DSC02831_zpspxfdmc4e.jpg

The splash boat thing had covered boats, which renders them pointless, but also meant I rode one for a change.

DSC02845_zpsedg5z3xy.jpg

DSC02838_zpsf2hlq30n.jpg

And then there’s the main reason for being here, Jupiter, an Intamin woodie.

DSC02847_zpsbuwxevvc.jpg

DSC02848_zpsgjor9j9a.jpg

DSC02852_zpse9v3llwk.jpg

DSC02853_zpswar72pry.jpg

I’d always liked the look of this. It’s massive – one of the longest in the world – and looks really impressive. The layout is really good.

It’s a piece of f**king s**t. I’ve got a high tolerance for rough coasters, especially woodies, but I found it basically unrideable. There’s some decent airtime in there somewhere, but you don’t notice it since you’re in so much pain. I think I’d have to say it’s the worst woodie I’ve ever done, and that includes White Canyon before they tore that monstrosity down.

DSC02855_zpsxd3oowpq.jpg

DSC02859_zpsj31qsfsm.jpg

DSC02860_zpssxpdwqsw.jpg

I waited around an hour before attempting it again. I was in two minds as to whether I wanted to or not, and wish I hadn’t. I was in actual physical pain when I got off, and that’s never happened before.

Dreadful, dreadful, weeping, septic c**t of a ride.

But it looks pretty.

DSC02861_zpshw9de9ho.jpg

DSC02862_zps2kt7zj4b.jpg

DSC02864_zpsukdk8qew.jpg

DSC02868_zpsmctu6lv0.jpg

I took a break on the Ferris wheel, mostly for pictures really.

DSC02870_zpsdgxfxqma.jpg

DSC02877_zpsgzvath0w.jpg

DSC02880_zpsulkfhavr.jpg

DSC02885_zpsxu26qmlu.jpg

DSC02883_zpsnhgm8jwt.jpg

DSC02884_zpsjuczs0lm.jpg

DSC02878_zpsctgcyssv.jpg

DSC02888_zpsuikwqmdp.jpg

DSC02890_zpsg8rxrndx.jpg

DSC02892_zpszenphdiu.jpg

The Ice House at the base was jokes. It took all of ten seconds to walk through.

DSC02899_zpsz7lfgi5z.jpg

DSC02895_zpsruxicyjy.jpg

DSC02897_zps3mxwdzq7.jpg

Did the Intamin drop tower a few times. It wasn’t very tall, but I like these anyway and like everything else was a walk-on despite only running one car.

DSC02901_zpsx2oqstif.jpg

Some more views, this time from that flying island thing.

DSC02904_zpsbzir4ytm.jpg

DSC02907_zpss4tylvap.jpg

DSC02908_zps4w6xsc5e.jpg

DSC02913_zpsewvnxlmp.jpg

DSC02915_zpsbuxryagw.jpg

DSC02917_zpst8eszrvb.jpg

DSC02918_zpssek4jbj7.jpg

The 3D Cinema was s**te.

DSC02920_zpskcmlkhdu.jpg

DSC02919_zpsu8p3ionh.jpg

And a final, artistic, shot.

DSC02924_zps5kbxm36d.jpg

So, the location of this place was lovely, but it’s full of crap really. I wouldn’t be particularly bothered if that volcano erupted and took the whole place out to be perfectly honest. Fingers crossed.

I was aiming to get out of there by about half one, but I think I managed it at least an hour before that, getting a bus heading back to the train station and jumping off when I figured I was close enough to the next place.

Rakutenchi

This place is pretty much right in the town, probably a 20-minute walk from the train station, and is easy to spot.

DSC02927_zpsofyrvj3i.jpg

DSC02928_zpsotlxwrtw.jpg

DSC02929_zpsmd7jotfp.jpg

You can walk up, but I don’t know why anyone would when you’ve got this:

DSC02931_zps2xoatojw.jpg

I got the dog to go up and the cat back down. They even bark and meow as they’re leaving and arriving at the stations, putting the “fun” in funicular.

DSC02936_zpssuqek9ex.jpg

I didn’t bother with the dual Ferris wheel thing. I kind of wish I had since I haven’t done one, but it seemed to take forever and the view wouldn’t have been much different than from the platform right next to it.

DSC02939_zpsphuymopu.jpg

DSC02940_zpskrshqnyi.jpg

There’s a wholly unnecessary suspension footbridge, which was fab since it moved so much, and a small coaster.

DSC02943_zpsnd5ntllx.jpg

DSC02946_zpszsvspusi.jpg

I can’t be arsed to dig it up, but a few months ago there was some publicity stunt thing here making out that the rides here had been turned into spas, with people “bathing” in the coaster, obviously to play up the connection to Beppu being a spa town.

DSC02950_zpsframtihg.jpg

DSC02951_zpswwwdyjuf.jpg

The coaster was pretty crap, but I really liked this little park, mainly due to the location, which was absolutely stunning.

DSC02952_zpswlcl5bk4.jpg

DSC02953_zps2y1xsskk.jpg

DSC02955_zpszeofy6ai.jpg

DSC02957_zpspbbxv1ff.jpg

DSC02960_zpsdaobvurk.jpg

DSC02962_zpsewycyhze.jpg

DSC02966_zpswxlsvism.jpg

DSC02968_zpsqqtufn7t.jpg

DSC02974_zps5lv5uvsa.jpg

DSC02975_zpsrhy3x1zg.jpg

DSC02976_zpslofiss5v.jpg

DSC02978_zpseafmrvu6.jpg

DSC02983_zps5h1zcb0c.jpg

DSC02984_zpsrxnnmmuv.jpg

DSC02986_zpssj4fzzp3.jpg

And that was it for Beppu. I was done MUCH earlier than I’d given myself time for – I could have easily had a lie in for a couple of hours instead of leaving the hotel at 7:30 - but I guess it was good that I got the hells done early and avoided the crowds.

I’d had a rough plan to get a train around 6pm, to get me to my hotel in Osaka for around 10, but ended up leaving about three hours earlier, getting me there early enough to head out that night – it was a Saturday - which I regretted the next day.

Next up: Himeji Central Park

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That's such a beautiful section of the report. It'll be very cliche to say, but the blossom and flowers are very much like how I "picture" Japan in my head. These photos especially make it look really lovely:

Makes me think that this would be the time of year to visit Japan, rather than a traditional summer trip.

davidm

Strata Poster
Who knew? Two nice looking Japanese parks - thats a surprise! :)

(shame that woody is vile though :( )

peep

CF Legend
Greenland is an odd place, agree about the creepiness of the ghost train. I want to say I went on another one with the same headphone setup but can't think where that was.

Milky Way stand up is fab <3 The little pop of airtime as it flies into the brake run at the end is great.

The other parks look great during blossom season, shame about the woodie being crazy-rough.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Makes me think that this would be the time of year to visit Japan, rather than a traditional summer trip.

No question. Japanese summers are horrible, really hot and humid. Apart from one afternoon/evening of rain, I had perfect weather: warm, sunny days and cool evenings. Then obviously it's the season for the cherry blossoms as well.

The parks were quiet as well. I was on my Easter Holiday, but they don't do Easter.

However, if my Easter Holiday had fallen a bit later, it could have been horrendous. They have something called "Golden Week" in Japan, where a bunch of public holidays fall very close together, so they tend to just take the whole week off work.

But yeah, April to May is the perfect time for Japan, but check how Golden Week falls (late April) and plan around it, avoiding obvious tourist traps, including parks.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Oh my gosh! Blossoms everywhere! This is the best thing ever! I got it into my head that it was really busy in Japan during the cherry blossom period but maybe I'm mistaking that with Golden Week as they would generally overlap.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It is, but they follow a fairly accurate/rigid calendar and I was visiting just outside of that. "Peak" cherry blossom season was over, though clearly it was still everywhere.

Plus the places I went, while obviously covered with the stuff, weren't the obvious places for specific cherry blossom selfies.

I imagine the weekend in, say, Kyoto would have looked very different.

Last edited:

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Thanks for another great TR gavin! Some very nice pictures there. I am actually surprised to see Greenland has so many creds there, and some unique ones as well. The landscape looks fairly good too.

Sad to hear Jupiter is awful. It has tremendous I-Box potential, but I highly doubt RMC will ever come there given the state of affairs of Japanese parks...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Quite possibly one of your best reports, those hells look incredible and even though the parks seemed to be full of crap, they still look like places I'd like to visit. The Togos look great, shame about the Intamin, proof that they do miss sometimes.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Thanks for the replies so far. This next part won't be so nice and flowery.

My original plan for the Sunday was to knock off two smaller parks, but since I ended up going out the night before, I woke up a couple of hours later and switched things around a bit, heading out to Himeji instead. It was easy enough – a direct train for around an hour and then a bus.

You can clearly see Himeji Castle when you exit the train station. I’d planned to have a closer look, but couldn’t be f**ked in the end.

DSC02989_zpsjtqkkgb7.jpg

It wasn’t obvious which bus stand to use, but there was a tourist information place right there, so I went in to ask. They ended up selling me a bus/park combo ticket for the equivalent of £35 ($45), which I thought was a bit pricey really. Little did I know.

Himeji Central Park

The bus took about half an hour, and you’re then greeted by this fugly PoS.

DSC02991_zpsl2dqxlgb.jpg

DSC02992_zpson6ncvw4.jpg

DSC02998_zps3ye6qegd.jpg

DSC02999_zpsw00rrttc.jpg

I went to get the cred, only to be denied since I didn’t have a ticket/wristband. My £35 only included park entry and the safari, and even that would have been a few quid cheaper if I’d just paid for the bus and park entry separately. On what f**king planet does a combo ticket work out to be more expensive? On Planet c**nting Himeji apparently.

So, I bought a wristband for another £20 ($25). Dirty, evil, robbing bastards. I should’ve just bought separate ride tickets, but for the 5 coasters here, it wouldn’t have been much cheaper.

The Jet Coaster thing pictured above was, predictably, f**king s**te.

DSC03007_zpscb8knzjf.jpg

There was a “show” happening, which involved a dog in a lion costume and sod all else.

DSC03004_zpstp4vts6d.jpg

DSC03005_zpsqqick3wg.jpg

S**te.

There was a fab/dreadful Togo loopscrew. I’d done the exact same model at Beijing Amusement Park (RIP) years ago, but my hangover made this extra special.

DSC03012_zpsqjs8rwpd.jpg

DSC03011_zpsv2shshmd.jpg

DSC03015_zpsbtan2swy.jpg

DSC03013_zpstrhkvfze.jpg

+1

DSC03017_zpsaexef09p.jpg

And another +1

DSC03022_zpsigcveclj.jpg

DSC03051_zpsyk8agice.jpg

The park’s major coaster was up a slight hill, an early Batman clone called Diavlo.

DSC03020_zpshhwefmwu.jpg

DSC03027_zpsk4n0cyaw.jpg

DSC03029_zps0noseqlk.jpg

DSC03033_zpsan8zu1vo.jpg

DSC03036_zpsrkzvncsn.jpg

This never ran with more than one row filled. On my first ride, I actually had the whole train to myself. This was on a Sunday afternoon.

The Intamin 1st gen drop tower was down when I arrived, but they got it up and running soon after. I like these, so yay I guess.

DSC03026_zpsyrbh9y2q.jpg

DSC03045_zpsowf0bjdy.jpg

I’ll just throw some more Diavlo in.

DSC03040_zps90amswpv.jpg

DSC03041_zpskvlzdmdl.jpg

DSC03043_zpsmwhf2oyj.jpg

DSC03048_zpsoxrbdhjy.jpg

DSC03046_zpsvejlg7fj.jpg

The Togo was the most interesting thing here.

DSC03054_zpsmc3fdial.jpg

DSC03055_zpshln2nxp5.jpg

DSC03059_zpsyqhkdmq4.jpg

DSC03060_zps66bm9iai.jpg

My extortionate entrance ticket included the safari, which I would have happily not bothered with had it been optional. Cue panic while the bus driver frantically calls someone to find a tablet with an English narration for me, despite numerous attempts to say I really didn’t want or need it.

DSC03069_zpsclw5j2pl.jpg

“This is a cheetah. They live in Africa. They are very fast. This is a cheetah. They live in Africa. They are very fast. This is a cheetah. They live in Africa. They are very fast”

DSC03071_zpsvj0zhb64.jpg

DSC03073_zpsoutpy4fp.jpg

DSC03077_zpswhbhhjsa.jpg

DSC03081_zps8mmig2wh.jpg

There was a stop at the top end where you get off and walk around to see more animals, with some cable car ride or something, before getting back on another bus at the same spot later to head back down. I just wanted to get the f**k out of there though, so stayed on the bus, much to the driver’s confusion.

I did a quick reride on Diavlo, the Togo and the drop tower, not because I wanted to, but because I’d been so horrendously ripped off. I would’ve done the Ferris wheel, but I didn’t trust myself to be stuck on it for half an hour and not throw up, so I skipped it. I probably should have just done that as a dirty protest against the place though.

One (the only?) good thing about this place is that buses back to the train station run every half an hour. I almost got off at the castle, but then realised I really couldn’t be f**king arsed, so just stayed on to the train station, went back to Osaka and straight back to my hotel.

So Himeji Park? I’d always had it in my head that it was a decent, major park considering there’s a B&M invert sitting there – one of only two in the whole country since Orochi got relocated to France – but I was wrong. It’s a f**king dump. Judging by the weekend “crowds”, I can see it closing down soon, but I’ve thought the same thing for a bunch of Japanese parks and they’re mostly all still clinging on years later.

My hangover didn’t help, but I hated this place. Hated it. Taking transport out of the equation, park entrance and a ride wristband is £45 ($60). F**k this place. It deserves to close.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
That was quite a guilty pleasure to read :p The tumbledown Togo loopscrew is one of those I want to try just to find out if they're THAT bad. Diavlo looks like a good candidate for a cheap second-hand quality coaster, a little like Orochi/The Monster was years ago.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I wonder if it was due to the exchange rate at the time but I just have no recollection of that park being that extortionate?

I can see why if you went alone you'd hate the place, but then Ben, Jake and Taylor hated it when they went too. For me it was more of a 'meh' park. Like I don't actively hate it, it's just 'meh'.

And you didn't miss much apart from a closer view by skipping the castle, there's literally NOTHING inside.