What's new

Japan :Oct/Nov'14 (USJ,Hirakata,NSpaland,Tokyo,TobuZ,Disney)

davidm

Strata Poster
Re: Japan

Tuesday 4/11 - Tokyo

I like going up big buildings. Tokyo has a few big buildings that you can go up. So thats what I was
mostly doing today (with a quick +1 thrown in too).

So mostly tourist pictures today (a.k.a. 'a bit of culture' for you heathens).

First big building was one I'd been up before, but since it was a few minutes walk from my hotel and
also free to go up, I started with that;

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government building;

There is an observation gallery at (nearly) the top of each of the towers of the building, but today
only one of them was open so could only go up the right-hand side one (as you look at it in those
pics above).

Annoyingly, half of the gallery area is blocked off by a cafe, which rather obstructed the views of
the city.

But its still a pretty impressive view though the 3/4 of the windows you could actually get to
without buying a coffee.

MOST impressive was the fact that you could see Mt Fuji from there very easily - the previous times
I'd been to Tokyo had always been in summer and the air was never clear enough to see it from the
city (its 60 odd miles away).

ANNOYINGLY though, I had not brought a zoom lens for my good camera with me on the trip, so no
close-ups, but...

(cropped quite a bit ; at 105mm)

Tried with the compact camera since that has a super-zoom on it, but results weren't great;

More Fuij-san later though.

Next stop was a little around the city to somewhere I'd been near before, but not actually up.

Tokyo Tower - which dates from 1958 and I remember watching Godzilla movies as a kid whereupon 'zilla
destroyed this a few times.

This tower is a bit like the French one, in that there are two stages to go up - the first, larger
level was the most busy

View back towards Shinjuku

and on the left, where I was earlier

The orange thing was some robot, wandering around hassling tourists

Tokyo Tower is not far from Roppongi, where there is an abandoned (never operated) cred on top of
a building - presumably not worth the effort in removing? Might well have been quite fun, half-piping
away in the midst of a few Tokyo skyscrapers.

Get another lift to the higher level

Where the city-views are a bit better, this is over towards the Palette Town/Odaiba area I was at a
couple of days earlier

However, some clouds had moved in since earlier and Mt Fuji was now hiding from me :(

Back at the lower level, a glass floor;

So pretty cool that, glad Godzilla didn't really destroy it.

Speaking of Godzilla, I next walked up to central Tokyo from the tower and found the huge-massive
Godzilla statue that is there...

Ok, so its not really that huge,

A little further up the road is another interesting building - Tokyo International Forum (an
exhibition centre), its not very high but has a rather cool atrium area

Central Tokyo has this big hole in the middle of the skyscrapers and urban sprawl, where lies the
Imperial Palace where the emperor lives. Its not an accessible tourist sight though, so the best
you can do is take a pic of the entrance-way and a scenic bridge

but even that is spoiled by the fact that the bit of palace buildings that we can see, is covered
in scaffolding, oh well never mind...

Hop back on a train next and make my way to Asakusa, which has a few nice touristy sights

Oooh and its near another big building :)

and also a little park! (Hanayashiki)

Which contains a very old (1953) roller coaster, imaginatively named Roller Coaster

So despite having been to Asakusa before (a couple of times), I had never gone to see the coaster,
so I did that. No Q;

Ride doesn't do much ; cramped into this claustrophobic little park, it winds its way around the
edge of the park with a little drop or two, but nothing really too exciting.

I rode the shot tower as well, just for the view (the other tower ride there was closed though)

But didn't really hang around there very long.

This odd turd-on-a-roof building is the HQ of the Asahi Beer company - clearly been indulging in their
product too much in the meeting when that was signed off!

But I was heading towards this thing, behind the odd beer-building

Tokyo Skytree, a huge communications tower / tourist attraction that has been built since I was
last here - cool!

However, my cunning plan to get there at the end of the afternoon to get some daylight views and then
the dusk was rather scuppered by the popularity of this place as a tourist attraction since there
was a massive Q for tickets and they were distributing timed-entry passes for the place. Oh well,
had to amuse myself at ground level for a while then

XMas markets were set up (at the start of November)

and a Xmas tree - very keen they are on their festivals here

Daylight has gone by the time I can get in the Q for the lifts and actually buy a ticket to the top
of the thing (and its relatively expensive 2000+ yen, Tokyo Tower was 500 I think).

But as I get out of the elevator to the main viewing level, I am greeted with a rather splendid sight
obscured by throngs of tourists also impressed with the view

So I elbow my way through the crowds (OK, I wait politely until a gap opens up) and get some more
snaps of Mt Fuji, this time in the last light of dusk - nice!

Can even see it just in this later night shot

This is the view back towards Asakusa from the first level of the Skytree

That first level is very busy but pretty large but well set up, the lighting was well done so that
there weren't lots of nasty reflections in the windows which you often get in these places.

For another 500ish yen you get another lift up to the higher level, which was a bit odd - it is this
winding corridor that is wrapped around the building that you slowly walk up.

But its not as good as the lower level for pictures I feel - you are further away from the windows
and there is a lot of light up here - and the windows themselves are somewhat obscured by the
infrastructure

The view is splendid though

Strangely, right at the top (or at least the highest bit us tourists can get to) there was a mirrored
room with coloured lights going off - bizarre.

Back at the lower level, there is another glass floor thing, but its not great (and was packed with
people too).

I did really like the Skytree though despite it being a bit out of the main city, really busy and
relatively expensive.

Back in Shinjuku I went out to take some night-shots of there too;

Its not all shiny-shiny in Tokyo, people living out on the streets :(

I wasn't the only one with the idea behind that last shot (there were a bunch of peeps here taking
pics in fact)

Hmm, didn't work did it;

Last night in this hotel, off somewhere else the next day...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Glad that Thunder Dolphin is back up and running - I know there was a few years there when it was SBNO. Sad that they have seemingly netted all the track for pedestrian protection. Understandable, but does ruin some aesthetic!

davidm

Strata Poster

Wednesday 5/11 - Tokyo & Disney

So I was leaving my hotel in Shinjuku this morning and checking into one up at Disney for the rest
of my holiday time, but since I was going to be at Disney for a couple of days I wasn't rushing off
there straight away, so left my bags in Shinjuku and went for another little wander around random
areas of the metropolis...

First I popped up the other side of the Metropolitan Government Building (the bit that was closed
the day before if you are paying any attention to my whittering on);

Views were less clear than the previous day though, so no Mt Fuji shots this morning :(

But a better view of the city because there wasn't a stupid cafe in the way in this tower.

Then I wandered across Shinjuku to visit a toilet on the top floor of the Takeshima department store.

That might sound odd (if fact it is a little odd), but I had discovered a few years before that there
was a reasonable view of Shinjuku station from the windows of this toilet, so I popped in to take a
2014 snap of that view;

Just for comparison, the same view in 2008;

...and in 2002;

The station complex is expanding southwards (over the tracks) through the years - there was a lot
of construction happening around that area this year.

Moving on, I headed a few stops up the Yamanote line to the Ikebukuro area, where there was another
big tall building that I had been up in 2002 and figured I could amuse myself up there for a little
while.

Its not as flash as the Skytree up here (the place is Sunshine 60)

Nor as high,

But it still has some views, eg back across to the Skytree

and back to Shinjuku;

And Mt Fuji of course (OK, cheating a bit here)

Another reason to come up here was that the tower has a little aquarium attached to it, and those
are nice of course;

The aquarium had recently been renovated and it was actually a lot better than I had thought it was
going to be, enjoyed it a lot more than the larger effort at Nagoya the previous weekend.

Lovely big octopus, flopping around

Jellys!

this tank was really weird optically, doesn't really come across in the picture very well though

Nice little outside section where they were bothering some sealions a bit too

So that was nice, recommended!

Ikebukuro having occupied me for a little while, I headed back to pick up my stuff and head Mickey-ward.

Its obligatory to take pictures of the Mickey-themed stuff on the Disney Resort monorail then;

Needed to take the monorail around the resort to where the hotels are (on the other side of the 'loop'
to the mainline train station where you get off and where the shopping complex Ikspiari place is

Checked into the hotel and this was the view from my balcony - you can see the monorail station on the
right - there was actually a dedicated shuttle-bus that ran from the hotel to/from that station, that
was the only thing it did (i.e. it wasn't servicing the other hotels there, they each had their own
dedicated bus). So this bus literally drove across the road and turned round. All day. Wow.

Had a sea view too (wow (not)) if you looked the other way;

Sorted my park tickets out at the hotel and hopped back on the monorail to the best park in the world -
was looking forward to this :)

But first an exclusive Frozen-land construction shot (the expansion area is pretty big when you look
at all of it)

Lo; DisneySea - yummy!

The rather nice looking MiraCosta hotel from just inside the park, looking very pleasant...

(I had thought I might try to stay there for the duration of the my TokyoDisney stay, but priced it
up and it was well over £300/night so no chance, then I thought I might stay one night there just
for kicks, but it was booked out - so that saved me some moneys (and in hindsight, for reasons I'll
come to, I'm quite glad I just ended up at one of the (still posh and not 'cheap') hotels on the
bay (The Sheraton).

So as you enter the main part of DisneySea, you walk underneath the Miracosta through a walkway you
can see in that ^ pic. You are greeted by a rather spectacular sight of a volcano over a lake...

or at least you were on my previous visits.

For this time I was greeted by a not-very-lovely-at-all construction wall.

It really was VERY ugly and actually put a real downer on me as I entered the park - really spoilt
my up-to-then quite happy-goony mood. :(

You could get to the side of the construction wall and still see the sights of course;

But it did really spoil the whole area. It wasn't just that one construction area alone either. Quite
a bit of the lake-front was walled off (they are building some new viewing areas for the shows on
the lake). And quite a bit of the hotel that overlooked that area was also all covered in construction
walls too - so thats why I was not unhappy to not have got a room there at silly-money.

Actually all very ugly indeed. Hmmm.

Newly built since my last trip here, and tucked into a corner of the park near the Tower of Terror
was a Midway-Mania ride. The area was pretty well-done - miles nicer than Orlando's entrance to the
same ride - California's was a nice entrance too I recall.

The place was heaving of course, standby line for Midway Mania was 2 hours (no fastpass left by mid-afternoon
of course) so I wasn't planning on even trying to get on it today.

But I picked up a fastpass ticket for ToT next door for later in the day,

and headed off around the park with my camera...

Christmas already I see;

Even MORE ugly construction - I honestly was not very impressed at all - this is a lighthouse in the
New England bit of the park (with I just noticed the top corner of the hotel I was in in the background)

Luckily the park makes up for the ugly construction bits elsewhere :)

Big Q for the kiddy-cred!

Timed my wandering around the park to get to the central Mysterious Island bit as the light dropped

I think that this area of DisneySea is the best looking area of any theme park I've ever been to -
anyone care to disagree?

The Q for 20,000 leagues is oddly walk-on, so I have a go on that - they don't let me take any pics
though (which I found odd, US-Disney parks don't have any problems with cameras I thought?).

The Q for the other ride in this area is more significant, advertised at 40 mins standby and I have
a while until my ToT slot opens up so I head in anyway.

But then I start to get frustrated - I have no problem standing in a Q if its moving, but this one
isn't. Probably stood still for 20 minutes with no movement and I could see the merge point for the
fastpass line not far ahead, its just that no-one in the standby line seemed to be merging, meanwhile
vast amounts of fastpass people were going though. So I gave in, I'll be back and time it better I'm
sure.

Stall in the Arabian Coast area amused me; ('cos I live in "Sale" you see)

The Sinbad dark-ride in this area is great, really good animatronics and sets - I rode this quite
a few times over my days here (and thats most unlike me and kiddy dark rides!). And you could take pics
on it;

Fantasmic started up after my trip on Sindab, so I rushed to a lake-view (that wasn't obscured
by construction walls)

"Meh" really I'm afraid. Obviously it appeals to some people (a lot) since I see lots of people
raving about it, but I just don't see it myself (seen Orlando's version too - also "meh" IMHO).

Crappy dragon

Crappy floats

Lots of lights and music and other random stuff

I saw a show on the lake (that I assume Fantasmic replaced) in 2008 that I much preferred (and understood
what was meant to be going on) - is there even meant to be a "plot" to Fantasmic?

Not long after Fantasmic there was the nightly firework show - thought that was odd having 2 big
park-shows right after each other (like 10 minutes later)

My fastpass time was here now though, so had a lovely go on Tokyo's tower - great stuff.

Different theme to the others of course, and one that is really well done;

The loading-room is like a artefact-storage area (rather than the boiler-room of the other versions)

(they started shouting at me for taking pictures at that point, so had to stop - they were even more
ant-pictures on later trips thru the ride - not very friendly there Mr TokyoDisney then!)

Luckily they are happy enough for you to take snaps outside the rides, so got a few (most of the pics
in this thread are unprocessed - I literally have thousands of images stacked up to play with over
the winter months)

And as the park closed and peeps went home, the standby Q for Midway Mania had dwindled to ~30 mins
so I had a go on that - the Q still seemed to move very slowly though, even for standby. Ride is
fun though, albeit just a big video-game - I'd probably would had a couple of goes on it if it wasn't
such a burden to Q for I guess.

DisneyDay 1 done then (I had a 4 day pass (which might sound excessive but I was leaving on the
fourth day so really I would have 2 full days and 2 half-ish days), you have to nominate the parks
for days 1 and 2 of the pass and thereafter you can park-hop, so today having been a "Sea" day,
tomorrow will be a "Land" day).

davidm

Strata Poster

Thursday 6/11 - Disneyland

Tokyo Disneyland was the very first Disney park I ever visited - I had not been back here since though
(skipped it on my last trip to Tokyo) but was planning to spend a bit of time here this trip.

But first I thought I might grab some breakfast at my hotel, until I encountered the Q for breakfast
and thought better of it.

So headed across the road (or the major bus route if you read yesterday's post) - s'pretty big hotel I
was in;

The monorail does give some odd back-stage views of the place - back of Indy at DisneySea here;

and the Tokyo monorails are all driverless, so heres me doing my best CanobieFan impression sat at
the front

True to form, there are vast amounts of peeps outside for the 9am opening, but once open we all head in
fairly quickly. The entrance view of Land not spoiled like Sea's was;

The first time I came here, I had no idea what a Pooh's Hunny Hunt was, other than it looked like a
kiddy ride with a 2 hour Q so we skipped it, but this time I was clued up so headed straight there
and picked up a fastpass (for which there was also a big Q) and then headed into the standby line.

The Q was pretty cool actually, some little Pooh related house that you wandered through

and the main bit was all these big pages from a Pooh book

Since this was early, before the fastpass slots opened up, the standby Q was not being slowed by the
fastpass priority at all and I get on in 20 mins or so.

Really cool ride, laugh-out-loud funny in places (the bouncy bit that was a total surprise to me),
one of the best (and cleverest) dark rides I've been on then.

Pooh kinda sits between the Fantasyland bit and the Toontown bit, so I wandered there next and had
a play on their kiddie-coaster.

Oddly the Star Wars ride had a minimal Q all day - the first time I rode it was maybe 15mins but I
rode it a few times with 5 min Q and also literally walk-on (only running 1/2 the simulators in fact)

Probably used my Pooh faspass next for a reride (standby Q apparently up to 70-minutes by then) and
rode a couple of the Fantasyland darkrides as their Qs were only 30mins or so (the park was pretty
busy by now).

Small World was closed for re-decoration today though,

But more annoyingly Big Thunder Mountain was in rehab (I knew this before I went so was not actively
spited) - had ridden it in 2002, but I do quite like these mine train things

The usual Disneyland icons are here, albeit all in subtlety different places than in Ca or Fl or Paris
(not been to HK yet) - most disconcerting when you walk around a familiar looking corner and then what
is around that corner isn't quite what you expected.

Lots of good old healthy people-powered amusements here (I passed obviously!)

Pirates had been Depp-ified - I get a bit confused by all the different Pirates versions, this one
was alright (which is the rubbish short one - Florida's?).

The new dwarfs mine train coaster looking particularly underwhelming?

Had picked up a Space Mountain fastpass earlier, so used that now - good fun ride (could have sworn
that the trains were sit-in-line types when I came in 2002, but were sit-beside now)

Haunted Mansion is much like the Ca or Fl versions, but oddly sits on the edge of Fantasyland - little
out of place I think?

The cool Nightmare before Xmas version was in place ; think I've seen that more times than the normal
version though (must be a function of what time of year I choose to go to Ca or Fl or Tokyo on holidays!)

Tikihut thingy ; all a bit silly really

and then Stitch appears

Must have got a trip on the train next - only has one station so its a round trip with some odd
dioramas of dinosuars and stuff at the end of the loop around the river.

I'd run out of fastpass options by now (or they'd stopped distributing them at least) so sucked it
up and held out for the MonstersInc ride standby Q. It took ages and was again barely moving. I
formulated an opinion that Japan-Disney just distributes much more fastpasses than any of the non-Japan
Disneys - hence why it always seemed that the only people getting on the ride were fastpassers and the
standby Q barely moved. This happened on all the rides, not just MonstersInc. Not very impressed and
a very clear indication of why fastpasses are BAD THINGS and not good things in parks.

The building / ride were pretty good, but it sits barely 100 yards away from a Buzz Lightyear ride
that is almost the same thing (ok in Monsters you are shining stuff with a torch, in Buzz shooting
stuff with a gun, but both recent Pixar motion/shooting rides). Buzz appears a bit old and dated
these days I think though.

Must have had a last FP for Space Mountain then;

and its raining a bit by now as well - not a lot so that didn't put me off

Park was looking nice in the evening darkness though;

Apparently there are two versions of the Jungle Cruise, a daytime one and a night time one - after a fair
Q I get on the nighttime one (I assume, it was dark after all?)

There was some extra stuff in this version of the ride - an indoor temple and some modern special
effects in there - to add to the usual trip around the plastic animals and jungle explorers. All in
Japanese of course so I had little clue what the specifics of the night-version were.

Also new-ish apparently is a castle projection show that they were treating all like a big deal - I
had seen Paris's similar show a couple of years ago and thought that that (Paris's) was a lot better
than this one - the detail and complexity of the projections being better in the Euro-version I think.

Pretty full day rattling around the park aimlessly - a lot of todays pics are a bit rubbish as only had
compact camera with me (part of the idea of being here for a few days was not to cart a big camera
around with me all the time).

Back tomorrow probably then!

davidm

Strata Poster

Friday 7/11 - Disney(sea and land)

The idea for today was to start off at DisneySea and get on the stuff that I had failed to get on when
I was here for the 1/2 day on Wednesday and when I had had enough of that, cross over to Disneyland
and ride some stuff I'd missed yesterday. So thats basically what I did...

Go to Sea for opening, braved the hoardes again and picked up a fatspass for Journey (and also rode
Journey as there was noone there yet), quickly moving onto Indiana Jones managed to ride that twice
before the Q started to build up. If you want to get some quick rides in at this place its pretty vital
to do it in the first hour of opening, after about 40 minutes the Qs have all built up.

Indy's Q is rather cool though - highly themed space inside the temple building that you can see
from outside

(must come back with a better camera then I think!)

Didn't need to use this (or fastpasses) this early in the day, but useful to note Indy has a;

Next door to Indy is one of the roller coasters here Raging Spirits, a clone of the Indy ride
in Paris. Quite nicely themed I guess, the ride is "Ok" not great, but certainly not of "Disney quality"
I think - a filler ride for a park of this quality.

Stacking problems on exit though

Wandering around the corner to the Arabian area

The other coaster here is a Togo kiddie Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster - again nothing special,
but more "Disney" than Raging Spirits I feel. Two train ops on a kiddie coaster is always well done
though!

Possibly due to the country inclement weather, there is a pretty large indoor kiddie-ride area - Triton's
Kingdom ; its really well done and quite surreal in here

The construction ugliness I was whinging about the other day - can see the walls covering quite
a bit of the hotel and the huge ground level space that is all walled off at the moment.

I fastpass'd ToT at some point in the morning;

Got shouted at again for taking pics - stupid gaijin tourist.

Bit of Venice here ; this is really more hotel than park, no rides in this bit (just some gondoliers)

Skytree from Disney;

Really like the theming in the Port Discovery area of the park - all retro-futuristic stuff

There are 2 rides here, the odd Aquatopia trackless kida water-ride (not that you get wet at all),
which is fun enough if nothing too thrilling

and a simulator ride Stormrider, which is a bit rubbish - there are two simulator theatres and a
pretty big Q to sit out (lots of distributed fastpasses causing the standby Q to crawl again), but
by the time I get in it it seems only 1 of the theatres is actually works - sort it out Mr Disney!

Take a few snaps as I leave (coming back tomorrow with the better camera, so just playing today really)

I walked up from DisneySea to Ikspiari - 10 mins walk - rather than the monorail, you walk past
one of the DIsney hotels doing this - bit odd the three hotels here, one integrated into the park
(Miracosta), one big flash one sitting outside the gates to Disneyland, and this other one sat at
the end of the shopping centre - not much "magic" there perhaps?

There is a big Disney store between the train station and the park, I was a bit unimpressed with the
park-tat that was available in Japan to be honest - most gift shops were set up to sell boxes of
biscuits/chocolates rather than proper park-tat or TShirts and the like. Disney was the same as the
other parks, I bought a mug and a fridge magnet (and both were hard to find and not from a great
selection) - last of the big tat spenders me!

On the outside of the big store are some cool adverts for the park attractions, and I quite like these
so you have a few pics of them;

Obviously by the time I get here its mid-afternoon and the Qs are all massive, so I suck it up and
Q for the daytime Jungle Cruise for a while (that is the Q in the pic :( )

Eventually get on (about 40mins Q)

Can't say I noticed much difference between the daytime and nighttime ride though (apart from the
obvious light/dark and lighting effects), presumably a different spiel though (which was obviously
lost on me!)

The ride I'd forgotten to ride yesterday was the Roger Rabbit spin ride in Toontown, so spent another
40min Q-ing for that - don't think I'd ridden the one in Ca so this was new to me, it was OK actually
and you could spin it as much as you liked (or not) so that was nice.

Small World had reopened today with its XMas make-over, so took a ride on that (Q not too bad)

Much prefer Sinbad at the other park!

Earlier in the TR I was saying that StarTours was walkon at some point, well that was now, so I
cycled that a few times to make sure I got to see all the bits (there are 2 beginning bits,3 middle
bits and 3 endings, all apparently randomly selected - saw that podrace a few times before I got the
AT-AT one though)

Empty loading area at 1/2 capacity;

Didn't reride this, but found a nice spot to take pics of it from;

I didn't close out the day at the park though (bit Disney-ed out by now), so went to Ikspiari for
some food and back to the hotel to pack all my stuff (last night of the holiday tonight :( ).

Night view of Disney car-parks from my room;

davidm

Strata Poster

Saturday 8/11 - Last day :(

So the last day of my holidays. :(

Flight home wasn't actually until half-past midnight (which I thought was quite a good plan) so I had
a pretty much full day to wander around the parks with a better camera - clearly today being a Saturday
at some of the most busy parks in the world, there were going to be a few crowds to cope with.

The day was pretty much the same as yesterday, start off at Sea and hop to Land when I was done there.

I pretty much spent the day wandering around, think I only rode ToT on a fastpass at one point (got
shouted at again for taking pictures, this time much earlier though ; in the pre-show room) but thats
about it. So this post is going to be a bit of a photo-dump - you might be able to tell that I took
a load of pics but I have 'processed' barely any - most of what is below is straight off the camera.

To illustrate how bonkers-busy the place is, this pic is ten past nine in the morning, park has been
open a little over an hour - the fastpass distribution is almost done for the day (closed 5 mins later)
and the standby Q is 2.5 hrs. Blimey.

Luckily FP for ToT was still a sensible time so picked up one of those and rode it later.

Not sure if you can really tell from the pics, but the gift shop for ToT is in the 'hotel swimming pool'

Food place next door to ToT

Wandered around the fake-ship for a bit

Qs for Qs I think;

This shop

had a Q to get in, which was about 200 people deep. ???!??!

All signs for attractions are in English only, something you don't notice until later

Bit more scaffolding/construction walls visible here round the back of the volcano.

IndyQ - 2 hrs

But I use the single-rider entrance to get into the temple;

Heres one processed pic then;

Frozenland (?) area for development;

Must have been by now my ToT fastpass was valid

Pool entrance (aka the gift shop)

About to be shouted at...

Over in Disneyland by now, there were parades - not something I usually bother with, but frankly the
whole place seized up with people reserving places for parades and it made it a bit hard to move about
for a while, so I entered into the spirit of the place and watched for a while

Didn't ride this at all - was always 2+ hrs Q when I was nearby.

Even bigger Q for Jungle Cruise that when I rode it the day before

Space Mountain mid afternoon;

There was this one place full of ticket-machines, what they do is have a "ticket-lottery" for the
prime seats for the evening shows - the machines work like fastpass machines, but presumably its
random whether you get a seat or not,

I did (presumably because I was filling a spare 1-seat) - prime looking ticket for the castle projection
show it seems , but wasn't going to use it, so left it to be picked up by the next peeps.

This is the autopia thing thats slated for removal;

Got caught in another parade, this one all Xmas-party themed or something;

Oh look, Santa

Big Thunder SBNO sign;

Star Tours building

(still only just November you realise!)

So that was it then, picked up the bags at the hotel, got the last bus of the day from there to the
airport (Haneda) - could have stayed a bit later and got to the airport on the train, but I was done
to be honest.

Comment about the airport then - once of the best / nicest / most pleasant terminal buildings I've
ever been in (was the international terminal, I've flown from the domestic terminal here before but
don't remember much of that). Theres a roof terrace when you can watch the planes;

and lots of stuff inside the terminal; flight sims for example;

bit of culture;

Nice quiet terminal (probably due to being something like the last flight of the day on a Saturday night)

So that was it for Japan then, not bad for a barely-planned, almost last-minute escape from the rat-race
for 2 weeks. Where to next I wonder... :--D

davidm

Strata Poster
Re: Japan - done. (USJ,Hirakata,NSpaland,Tokyo etc,TobuZ,Dis

Final (roller coaster) Score

Universal Studios Japan
Flight of the Hippogriff
Snoopy's Great Race
Space Fantasy The Ride

Hollywood Dream: The Ride

Hirakata Park
Crazy Mouse
Elf
Fantastic Coaster Rowdy
Peekaboo Town

Red Falcon - down

Nagashima Spaland
Peter Rabbit Coaster
White Cyclone
Jet Coaster
Corkscrew

Children Coaster
Looping Star
Steel Dragon 2000
Ultra Twister
Wild Mouse (L)
Wild Mouse (R) - closed
Shuttle Loop - down

Nagoya Higashiyama Zoo
Bear Coaster - rain
Jet Coaster - rain
Slope Shooter - rain

Tokyo Dome
Thunder Dolphin

Aqua Stadium
Galaxy Express 9999 - shut down

Tokyo Joypolis
Veil of Dark

Tobu Zoo
Diggy & Daggy's Tram Coaster
Kawasemi
Regina
Tentomushi

Hanayashiki Amusement Park
Roller Coaster

Tokyo Disneyland
Big Thunder Mountain - rehab
Gadget's Go Coaster
Space Mountain

Tokyo DisneySea
Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster
Raging Spirits

thats 28 (only +17)

Last edited:

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Re: Japan :Oct/Nov'14 (USJ,Hirakata,NSpaland,Tokyo,TobuZ,Dis

Just read through this entire report, a very enjoyable read.

Your photos are simply stunning, I especially love the ones of Hogwarts over the lake.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

david morton said:
and the Tokyo monorails are all driverless, so heres me doing my best CanobieFan impression sat at
the front
YEESSS! :eek:

Ugh, someday I'll make it to Japan....

davidm

Strata Poster

Processed a few more pics in the last few weeks, so I'll dump them in here (also in the photo-thread, but no-one reads that anymore).

In no particular order then;

Monster stitched wide shot (24000px) at DisneySea;

and another stitch;

davidm

Strata Poster

Just some more pics, nothing to see here (apart from the pics that is...)

--

Very wide (21300px) over Shinjuku;

Barnsey

Roller Poster

What a fantastic trip report! Amazing photography!

We visited Tokyo pretty much the exact same time in 2013, with our Disney visit (at the Sheraton) straddling Oct and Nov and it was quite astounding how they changed everything
from Halloween to Christmas over night. Returning this June when really we should have been doing a road trip around Germany but some ridiculously cheap flights popped up and we couldn't resist.

Thanks again and I look forward to the next TR :)

davidm

Strata Poster

^ Ta. :)

Few more pics that I've played around with recently;

Few from inside ToT;

at USJ

big buildings again

Spaland;

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Amazing photography. You can really get some good money from these photos! Keep up the great work!