What's new

Is Smiler's Inversion Record Strictly Canon?

Are The Smiler's 14 inversions the true world record?

• Yes (it goes upside down 14 times doesn't it?)

Votes: 41 95.3%
  • No (it uses two lift hills and that's cheating! Colossus wins with 10)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Eejanaika got to 14 first!

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

nealbie

CF Legend
An odd one, but one that's been bugging me for ages, but is The Smiler's record of 14 inversions on one coaster strictly canon?

The coaster utilises two lift hills (and a pre-drop if you're being really pedantic) in order to achieve this, which is perhaps fine, but it's the first time this has happened. Traditionally the record has been held only by coasters with one lift hill and the forces provided from that initial incline is sufficient for the coaster to reach the station again.

Eejanaika's 14 inversions that it physically subjects to its riders is discounted, which I've never really understood until recently, because you do actually participate in going upside down 14 times. However, because of the fear of being able to "artificially" create (in theory) as many inversions as you want to, it does not "count".

The same can be said for The Smiler's method of achieving 14 inversions. Does this then mean that we can "artificially" create (in theory) an infinite amount of inversions by slapping on lift hill after lift hill to generate more energy to complete more elements?

That said, the real interesting point from this is, that whatever side of the fence you stand, The Smiler can't possibly hold the record (surely?). Either Colossus and its clone still holds the record at 10, or Eejanaika was the first to 14.

Your thoughts?

elephant58

Hyper Poster
By inversion, I always presumed it meant just track inversion (that's what RCDB thinks too), so I think Eejanaika doesn't count. And as the Smiler has 2 lift hills and only one station, it is just a 2 lift hill coaster. The Beast (I believe) still has the record for longest woodie, but that has 2 lift hills.

So, I'm of the opinion that the Smiler's inversion record is legitimate. However, perhaps it should be worth mentioning, that the 2 halves of the cobra roll don't appear to go fully upside-down. Perhaps.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
There is nothing wrong with having two lift hills - that is apart of the ride design.

As for seat flipping versus actual track inversions; for the sake of the record, everyone refers to the literal inversion of track. Seat rotations add effect, but do not add to inversion count. X2 has two inversions, and Eejanaika has three. Therefore, Smiler legitimately holds the record of most inversions.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Eejanaika doesn't have 14 inversions and anyone who claims such doesn't understand what a roller coaster inversions is.
Hyde244 said:
As for seat flipping versus actual track inversions; for the sake of the record, everyone refers to the literal inversion of track. Seat rotations add effect, but do not add to inversion count. X2 has two inversions, and Eejanaika has three.
QFT
elephant58 said:
Beast (I believe) still has the record for longest woodie, but that has 2 lift hills.
Spot on and Beast isn't the only coaster with two lift hills. Almost every mine train coaster has two or more lift hills and although none of them currently hold any records, I'm sure at least one of them did at one time.
So say what you want about Smiler's inversion record, neither of those two points should enter the argument.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
It has 14 inversions, simple, the longest coaster in the world from 1991 until 2000 had 2 lift hills. It is a full circuit which contains 2 lift hills. Not like say Grand National where you have to get off then get back on to complete the circuit.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
ECG said:
Eejanaika doesn't have 14 inversions and anyone who claims such doesn't understand what a roller coaster inversions is.
Hyde244 said:
As for seat flipping versus actual track inversions; for the sake of the record, everyone refers to the literal inversion of track. Seat rotations add effect, but do not add to inversion count. X2 has two inversions, and Eejanaika has three.
QFT
elephant58 said:
Beast (I believe) still has the record for longest woodie, but that has 2 lift hills.
Spot on and Beast isn't the only coaster with two lift hills. Almost every mine train coaster has two or more lift hills and although none of them currently hold any records, I'm sure at least one of them did at one time.
So say what you want about Smiler's inversion record, neither of those two points should enter the argument.

What I meant was that you can't really say that the Smiler doesn't have 14 inversions, if you believe that the Beast is the longest woodie in the world, because they share the characteristic of having two lift hills.

Smithy

Strata Poster
People who claim that it's not a record holder because it's just two coasters smashed together really are just being too snobby and ignoring the logic that's been used for as long as I can remember with regards to what does and doesn't make a 'record holder'.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Smithy said:
People who claim that it's not a record holder because it's just two coasters smashed together really are just being too snobby and ignoring the logic that's been used for as long as I can remember with regards to what does and doesn't make a 'record holder'.

Bingo. The particular enthusiast who started this inane argument regularly poopoos on any coaster he doesn't ride before most other enthusiasts. It's sour grapes, and this is an incredibly weak argument at best.

Mike

Giga Poster
I swear the Guinness World Records used to count Eejanaika as having 14 "inversions", but looking at my collection (2003-2013 excl. 2012), Colossus has always been in the book. :?

Smiler clearly holds the record. What difference does the number or lift hills make?

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
It has the inversion record but it is a bit of a stretch to call the either part of the cobra-roll an inversion, especially the second half as it is at barely past 90* at the top.

marc

CF Legend
It's the same with Rage, some people say the second inversion does not count. It's listed as an inversion so it all depends how fussy you want to be.

I know there are people out there that say The Smiler does not fully invert 14 times.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, it's quite easy to bolt together several different coasters to gain a world record. IMO it does hold the record but I'd love to see a coaster with 14+ inversions that uses just one lift hill/launch. I've always found the second lift hill is a bit of a cheat. It's like finding a warp pipe in Super Mario Bros that skips you ahead a few levels.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
^^ This. It would be great to see a coaster with 14 inversions or more from one lift hill but for now i'd say The Smiler does hold the record as it is a complete circuit.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, simply, it is. There's already precedent as has been mentioned with both The Beast and The Ultimate.

It's a single, complete circuit coaster. Do you count it as two coasters in your count? If not, it's a record breaker :)

Obviously it needs to be "track inversions". Imagine if Alton had fitted that washing machine element that was touted. They could have run it once with that set to 100 spins and claimed a 100 inversion record. That's essentially what Eejanaika is doing. Could a fast and flippy Zacspin potentially also break the 14 inversion record? What is it was run on a two lap cycle?

Mike, I think that it was claimed by the park that Eejanaika was a world record holder, but it was only in press releases, not officially.

peep

CF Legend
^There is an official Gunness world record certificate in the queue of the ride so for some reason at some point it was official but yeah total bs.

Also lol that this topic even exists.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Yeah... but this is Fuji-Q we're talking about.

This is the same park that has named a coaster for the sound of a drum (Dodonpa) then themed it with faces being ripped off by acceleration forces and had passengers sitting between the teeth. (Seriously.)

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I really don't think the cobra roll on The Smiler should be counted and it doesn't fully invert, either way though it still should hold the record, what difference does 2 lifts make?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Don't make me get the image out...

If your feet go higher than your head, you're inverted ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sigh :lol:

inversions.jpg

That's what I would class as a "definite" inversion, however the dictionary definition of "Invert" is "To turn inside out or upside down".

If your upside is down, that means your head is lower than your feet.

To clarify, we then look to the manufacturer to see what they claim as an inversion. If they say it's an inversion and your feet go over your head, then it is. If your feet go over your head and the manufacturer don't claim it as an inversion, then it's up to you really to decide.