Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No i dont think so.

• I cant say ive ever been on one.

• Total voters

stanford911

Mega Poster
I dont trust rides that invert with only lap-bars. Im just curious because ive seen G-Force vids at DMP and it looks fun but its only got lappies. Can anyone tell me they are is or if im just a big pussy or if theres anyone out there just the same. Thanks.
Stanford911

A

Anonymous

Yeah I think they're the best, just about as safe as OTSR. Only reason they aren't is a problem that would occur from the ride-op and their lack of safety. The word "lappies" just sounds so horrible and weird to me, am I the only one that thinks this?

kir

Hyper Poster
Of course they are safe, they wouldn't operate looping coasters with lapbars if they were unsafe.

I can't imagine them being very comfortable on your thighs if you get caught upside down though.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Perfectly safe, aslong as you properly fasten it and all that jazz.

But, from my only ride with an inverting coaster with lapbars, Laser over at DP, I can personally tell ya that it sure is awesome going through a loop with only a lapbar, as you have a ton of more freedom of movement, and it really is a nice change from the OTSRs.

Kaycee

Roller Poster
If you sit in the seat, lock the lapbar in and then sit properly all through the ride, then they're perfectly safe. You may have heard of 'recent' accidents, particularly with Intamin lapbar systems, where people have fallen out. This is generally because the person has done something to compromise their own safety rather than the restraint system itself failing.

Coaster manufacturers have certain legal guidelines to comply with to ensure the safety of all their riders. These rides would not be allowed to operate if these conditions were not satisfied.

Lap bars are locked in the same was as OTSRs and are just as safe. But they provide no support for your upper body.
This would be fine on a coaster with just loops but anything with a flick like a corkscrew would require shoulder support to stop you flapping about like a rag doll.
One reason why Rita has shoulder support os the relatively harsh braking at the end, without it an unsuspecting rider would probably kiss the seat in front.

No, of course they're NOT safe, because the company just wanted to build a coaster with lapbars so that everyone falls out and dies. :roll:

Of course they're safe... Has anyone fallen out before? I know a lot of people who leave big gaps in between the individual lap bar restraint and their bodies for more airtime, but I don't know how safe/awesome that would be on looping coasters, so I wouldn't try it.

Other than that, they're perfectly okay, and there's no need to be afraid of them!!

stanford911

Mega Poster
Cheers peeps.

Thank you to all those who sent in replies to this poll. And to the person who doesnt like the word "lappies", yes you are the only one who thinks that. :lol:

A

Anonymous

The term does sound sexual though. Then again, many normally non-sexual things tend to sound sexual to me. LOL :roll:

Hmm, not inverting but many old woodies which throw you into the lapbar with thigh-cracking force, didn't used to have lapbars. People only "fell" when they misbehaved and stood up, or worse attempted to chage seats during the ride (a Grand National rider even attempted to change trains during the ride, and ended up losing his head.. many years ago!).

Ofcourse lapbars on many inverting rides are safe (the rides with them that is, not that some of them are unsafe!), but they certainly add to the thrill! They're not too nice when stuck upside down however (OTSRs usually aren't either) but the worse thing in that scenario is the blood rush to the head. EEK that's evil (and why the best rides don't invert.. :p).

Sam

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Of course they're safe... Has anyone fallen out before?

*cough* SROS and several other Intamin rides *cough*

But yeh generally they are safe- as long as you obey the rules you'll be fine.

Sam

Giga Poster
^ Though not entirely Intamin's fault it is strange how accidents like the two that did happen never occured on a B&M coaster.

Sure other things can be blamed but the ride should be utterly accident proof.

kir

Hyper Poster
Am I right in saying that in the circumstance of someone falling out a ride, for whatever reason, a T-Bar "lappie" would be less safe than a regular lap bar? I'm sure having a bar on either side of your legs would hold you in better than a singular bar between your legs in any circumstance of falling out, as there is less scope for your legs to flap about and come loose...

Obviously I understand that you shouldn't fall out with any sort of lapbar if they are used correctly, but I speak in the case of a rider coming loose, would the type of lapbar make any difference? I can imagine a Clamshell would be impossible to get out of as they appear to pin you in more securely than any other I've seen.

It's not just the restraint which holds you in, the seat has to stop you from sliding sideways.
But a conventional bar offers no more benefits than a hairy T-peice.

A

Anonymous

LOL Lee!

Sam said:
Yep, that's why when you get on a ride you're strapped in, melted into the seat, covered with a half-inch-mesh cage and told if you so much as move your lips you'll be arrested for endangering lives.

Sorry, in that mood..

Almost

Hyper Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
Sam said:
^ Though not entirely Intamin's fault it is strange how accidents like the two that did happen never occured on a B&M coaster.

The B&M coaster has a much lower tolerance for larger riders - an obese rider that might not be able to fit in a B&M clamshell MIGHT be able to fit in an Intamin T-Bar.

And MIGHT fly out of the restraint. If your boarder line, it's surely more dangerous, but in the end safe. As said before lap bars are just as safe and I've been trying to convince my one friend this for years who won't ride Nitro because it has no lap bar and thinks that the restraint can magically open. :roll:

B&M is simply over-the-top in safety. The plus side about being over the top is that it has some level of human error tolerance -

It isn't just B&M who do this, Zamperla designed their Jumping Star tower ride in a way that it is impossible to start the ride with the bar in an unlocked position. Simple fact that if the bar isn't down and locked, the ride won't start.
Ever wonder what the clicking noise a B&M train makes as it moves through the station? That is your guarantee that your restraint will be locked safe.

A

Anonymous

The Undead Creature said:
Ever wonder what the clicking noise a B&M train makes as it moves through the station? That is your guarantee that your restraint will be locked safe.

i've never wondered why, because only 2 (out of 7) b&ms i've ridden have it, and it happens for exactly the same reason on both: the push tires are located directly under the antirollbacks, causing them to do their "clickity clackity" thing as they move over them. it has nothing to do with the restraint system.

oh, and, yeah, lapbars are perfectly safe, provided they're properly designed, constructed, maintained, and operated, just like every other restraint system.

i've never wondered why, because only 2 (out of 7) b&ms i've ridden have it, and it happens for exactly the same reason on both: the push tires are located directly under the antirollbacks, causing them to do their "clickity clackity" thing as they move over them. it has nothing to do with the restraint system.

It's only really noticeable on the older B&Ms and it's not the lift gear as there is nothing for it to click against. It is the electrical contacts between the train and the computer. Specifically for the microscwitch inside the restraint mechanism. The train contact is mounted at the edge of each row and there is a small track that runs just above these contacts and there are individual spring loaded brass contacts that touch each of the train contacts.

A

Anonymous

Lol chauncey bro that was a quite a cocky statement in regards to who you were speaking to. The Undead Creature probably knows 5 times more about the mechanical workings of rides than any of us will ever know, apart from a select few.