What's new

Is a coaster more intense if the seats are uncomfortable?

the king

Mega Poster
This is one question that has been popping up in my head lately, and I've been wondering if a roller coaster's seats being uncomfortable, makes it more intense to ride. For me colossus at thorpe park is more intense because of how uncomfortable the seats are, especially on the barrel rolls, which then causes a extremelly painful pulled muscle on my legs. What about you peeps?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Is a coaster more intense if the seats are uncomfortable

No. Discomfort does NOT equal intensity. How stupid.

mouse

Giga Poster

No, a roller is intense if it has high G layout (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Let's take nemesis for example, it has a compact, intense layout. If it had more painful seats, would that make the layout more intense?
No.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

If anything, uncomfortable seats would deaden any experience, regardless of how intense a coaster is. G-Force is a good example of this.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

It doesn't make the ride more intense....but it does make it more painful! :--D

Xpress

Strata Poster

Intense means basically existing in a high degree so uncomfortable seats may magnify the intensity of discomfort.

Ethan

Strata Poster

I can see what the King was getting at... but nah :/

Yah, I kind of get what he means and it's not really stupid at all. Some seats and kind of fitting to our bodies which may absorb some of the impact, whereas hard seats on older coasters may not? I don't know the answer but I think that may be what he meant.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

No.

Here's my rationale:

Let's say that you ride a Wisdom Dragon Wagon in a middle seat. You wouldn't say that is intense at all, right?
Now ride again and sit in that stupid tiny front seat. Would the ride be more intense?

Of course not, it's still the same stupid, boring coaster, in a less comfortable seat. Your discomfort might make you worried that you'll fall out of the stupid thing, but it isn't more intense.

Ethan

Strata Poster

But if a wooden coaster was silky smooth, it would probably be less intense than the same wooden coaster but with a slight roughness to it because you get that 'out of control' feeling.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ that's not what "intensity" is though. You're confusing intensity and roughness.

Stupid topic. Sorry, but it is.