What's new

IP-themed rides that you'd like to see happen

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a topic like this, but I couldn't find anything, so; what IPs would you like to see made into rides, and what sort of ride would they be? I know that many enthusiasts see IPs as an evil that need to be banished from theme parks, but if you were asked what IP you'd like to see as a ride, then what would it be? I'd personally really like:
  • A dark ride themed to Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events where each scene is a different book in the series, with the beginning scene being based on The Bad Beginning and the final scene being based on The End. The books are fantastic, as is the Netflix series. I actually reckon that this would have been quite a good retheme for Bubbleworks at Chessington, but unfortunately I think it might be a bit dark for Chessington's audience.
  • A ride of some sort themed to Horrid Henry. I loved the books and the TV show when I was younger, and I reckon there are actually quite a few theming opportunities if you look hard enough through the show and the books.
  • I know that very good Simpsons rides already exist at Universal parks in the USA, but I'd like to see a more substantial Simpsons-themed ride; maybe a bigger dark ride or even a roller coaster. I reckon that a Simpsons-themed coaster would work quite well, actually; get something like a Gerstlauer Bobsled, theme it to a ride at Krustyland or Itchy & Scratchy Land (or one of the many other fake theme parks that The Simpsons have visited) and you could be on to a winner.
  • I'd also really like a ride themed to Atlantis, the TV show based on Greek mythology that used to be on BBC One a couple of years ago. I reckon a dark ride or water ride would be good, as there are quite a few theming opportunities in the show, in my opinion!
Those are just some of my personal ideas for IP-themed rides that I'd like to see come to life. So, what IPs do you guys think would make good rides?

Jared

Hyper Poster
- As old as it is I love the idea of a Goonies themed water park.
- A Rapids themed to the barrel escape from the Hobbit films.
- BFG dark ride.
- Although it’s kinda been done, I’d love for someone to fully explore How to Train your Dragon.

Edward M

Strata Poster
It’s been said before but Lord of the Rings has so much potential for a great theme park land. Just think of the memorability of those locations.

I wonder how well the Shining could translate into a ride as well. Those long, lingering hallways, the twins, the hedge maze and the iconic blood elevator.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Roald Dahl DONE PROPERLY - a good quality CATCF boat ride, a suspended dark ride/coaster themed to James and the giant peach, a BFG walkthrough/dark ride/Simulator. a Georges Marvellous medicine special effects show etc.

Jim Hensons Labyrinth

Studio Ghibli

Coraline

valerian and the city of a thousand planets

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Game of Thrones mainly for how diverse the lands could be. The budget would have to be unfathomable to do it right, but the thought of a dive coaster themed to the Vail is amazing. Where's dueling dragons when we need it. Lord of the Rings for the same reasons.

South Park would be fantastic. Meccha Streisand anyone?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
-Black Panther and Wakanda would make a great attraction for Animal Kingdom I feel. Maybe a screen dark ride based on some of the combat sequences in the movie and a Calico-style cavern dark ride themed to the vibranium mine? From an industry standpoint there would be nothing else out there even remotely like it.
-Lord of the Rings as said above, that franchise is almost way too big to not have some kind of amusement park representation somewhere. Shame it'll probably never happen, though. If I'm correct Tolkien's family hated the movies so I doubt they'd give the green light for it.
-Actually started making this in Planet Coaster, but the TV show Survivor (which I've been a fan of since I was pretty young) really lends itself well to use in the amusement industry. Both a backstage production area and actual filming locations could be represented really well, and with them branding each season differently, they could continuously update it as long as the show keeps going. Those sets they build for tribal council are amazing, there are certainly things from that that could be incorporated into an area. I actually thought this show had a flat ride a small California park at one point? If we want to talk CBS properties as well, Amazing Race could work well too. CBS should just open a park. :p
-I'd love to see The Olympics represented at a park. Cauldron replicas, torch relay dark ride, several opportunities to turn sports into rides, and some great opportunities to sell merch.

Not really qualified to discuss what would/wouldn't make sense financially so some of these may not be feasible, but in terms of a simple "what would be cool" I'd love to see all of this.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Nice topic idea!

• A ride of some sort themed to Horrid Henry. I loved the books and the TV show when I was younger, and I reckon there are actually quite a few theming opportunities if you look hard enough through the show and the books.
Ha, I actually presented this idea to a park not so long ago - a Horrid Henry themed fun house is literally the perfect fit. It's a modern day Dennis the Menace really, and it would just be such a laugh for kids and adults alike. People who I presented it to didn't seem too keen though...

For purely selfish reasons, I'd love to see an indoor Futurama themed area. Couple of decent avenues that could be explored.

Doctor Who has a lot of scope too. I've gone off the show in recent years, but a dark ride of some sorts would still capture my attention.

Matt N

CF Legend
Nice topic idea!
Ha, I actually presented this idea to a park not so long ago - a Horrid Henry themed fun house is literally the perfect fit. It's a modern day Dennis the Menace really, and it would just be such a laugh for kids and adults alike. People who I presented it to didn't seem too keen though...
Thanks! I also think that Horrid Henry would make a great funhouse; wonder why the people you presented it to didn't seem keen? You could do all sorts of things with a Horrid Henry funhouse; it could be like you're helping Henry pull off pranks!

I also reckon you could make a good Horrid Henry themed Splash Battle or log flume, as quite a few scenarios in the books and TV show involve water!

I also just thought of another great IP from my childhood that could make a good ride - Teletubbies! Come on, Alton Towers, you know you want to put a Teletubbies ride in CBeebies Land! They even recently relaunched it in CGI! The theming opportunities are endless; you could have a show themed around them following a trail of tubby custard, you could have a car ride where you're riding the NooNoo; the list goes on! My, I sound so weird writing that!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I know there's a park on the way, but it always amazed me that 20th Century Fox never got in on the theme park game earlier on, as they have a fantastic back catalogue of IP's that are ripe for mining.
Not sure how it works when Fox properties appear in Disney or Universal parks (Simpsons, original Star Wars, Ice Age, Avatar etc..) but what about all the other stuff? Alien, for example. The mind boggles at the number of dark ride possibilities with an Alien theme. Think Nemesis: Sub Terra, but good.
An enclosed drop tower themed to an elevator shaft - boom: Die Hard: The Ride :D
What about those tracked rides like the Cars one at Disney Cali or Test Track at Epcot? Swap the cars for a bus and bingo - Speed: The Ride :D
X-Men? Hell yeah. A racing RMC with claw-coloured rails - Wolverine!
Deadpool 4D, anyone?
Family Guy - who wouldn't want to visit Quahog?
Mack Power Splash = Titanic: The ride.

Ok maybe not that last one but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
I don't know if they for plans for it at Super Nintendo Land, but a Zelda themed dark ride would be fantastic.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Almost strange that nobody have said Pokémon yet. It's actually the biggest media franchise in history, way too big to have had a travelling fair twelve years ago as its only theme park representation. As for the type of ride, I think something like Soarin' would work. Or like Flight of Passage, if the park were willing to really throw down the money. Pokémon doesn't have much in the way of specific scenes to re-enact (à la Frozen Ever After or The Little Mermaid) or locations to re-create (à la Harry Potter), so a generic flight-through-nature-and-interaction-with-creatures ride would be the best fit for it.

And of course, a Mario Kart 3D tracked simulator ride would be amazing too.