What's new

IOA | Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure | Intamin LSM Launch (Dragon Challenge replacement)

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
I think this most likely will be an Intamin family launcher with cars themed to Hagrid's motorbike and a layout that takes you through the Forbidden Forest.
Underway there might be some "special track features" mixed with familiar locations/scenes from the movies. - Say a freefall track inside The Shrieking Shack? Or some headchopper/near-miss effects as you pass below a giant animatronic Whomping Willow?
I'm really excited to see what they'll do.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Moved now that construction is underway.

Also, I noticed that the square track connectors are quite similar to the no-spine track found on Verbolten:

BO0228RK01_005H.jpg

With this in mind, I think it matches virtually all the rumors- family-oriented, heavily themed, LSM launch, etc. I'm personally fine with this, as Verbolten looks really nice.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Or some headchopper/near-miss effects as you pass below a giant animatronic Whomping Willow?
I'm really excited to see what they'll do.

That exact scene is in Forbidden Journey already, though. That ride already covers most of the Hogwarts locations, and also the Forbidden Forest (including a very close encounter with Aragog). One of the arguments for this being more of a conventional coaster is that Forbidden Journey sort of covers all the bases of animatronic scenes already. It sends you through the Forbidden Forest, has you encounter a dragon, the Whomping Willow, and even some Dementors. Why would they build a ride that does all that over again, only in a different vehicle?

Lofty

CF Legend
Moved now that construction is underway.

Also, I noticed that the square track connectors are quite similar to the no-spine track found on Verbolten:

BO0228RK01_005H.jpg

With this in mind, I think it matches virtually all the rumors- family-oriented, heavily themed, LSM launch, etc. I'm personally fine with this, as Verbolten looks really nice.
But they change to round connectors on the track above the base segment..?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
It appears so. However, Zierer tends to change between the two depending on the type of track their using. No spine gets rectangular connectors, spine gets cylindrical. Intamin, on the other hand, primarily uses the no-spine track for family coasters with connectors that are closer to the size of a cross tie with rectangular beams. This is quite clearly a rectangular connector, found on Zierer ESC coasters.

Intamin Family coasters, like I said, don't use these connectors/beams
roller-woods-460_1604629c.jpg

Thirteen
file_002.jpeg

Wavebreaker

Versus the ESC...
ESC-11.jpg

Force One
frfa_bb.jpg

Big Bang

Sorry I didn't mention the model name in the other post, but that's what I'm banking on. A Zierer ESC coaster of some sort.

Lofty

CF Legend
Upon further inspection, there's two different support types throughout this coaster. It differs from the rectangular supports to cylindrical supports.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
That exact scene is in Forbidden Journey already, though. That ride already covers most of the Hogwarts locations, and also the Forbidden Forest (including a very close encounter with Aragog). One of the arguments for this being more of a conventional coaster is that Forbidden Journey sort of covers all the bases of animatronic scenes already. It sends you through the Forbidden Forest, has you encounter a dragon, the Whomping Willow, and even some Dementors. Why would they build a ride that does all that over again, only in a different vehicle?

I did not know this.
It seems like Forbidden Journey is just a mash-up of the best things Harry Potter where they just crammed as much as possible in, not knowing if they needed some of it for a seperate attraction down the line. But even so, there is still plenty of locations and scenes that could work well with this ride, without being a rehash of FJ. For instance, The Shrieking Shack like I said above. Or Godric's Hollow, The Lovegood House or Little Hangleton Graveyard from the 4th movie or even Azkaban. It doesn't all have to be centered on the Forbidden Forrest, that could just be the main location. Would make a lot of sense if you flew over London and Privet Drive at some point even.

Ethan

Strata Poster
My bet (and hope) is a Launcher themed to the Ford Anglia, twisting through the forbidden forest etc in a similar fashion to Taron/Juvelen. I feel like Islands could really use another thrill coaster.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
One concern I have with this is how can la launched shuttle coaster cater for the high crowd of Universal? Surely capacity will be an issue?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
One concern I have with this is how can la launched shuttle coaster cater for the high crowd of Universal? Surely capacity will be an issue?
I think it will be a tri-launch coaster like Soaring With Dragon. It doesn't launch past the station, but utilizes a switch track. Come to think of it, Expedition Everest uses a similar system with a track segment isolated by switches (with a chain lift and a reverse drop instead of a launch, but the principle is the same), and it has one of the highest capacities in the world.

peep

CF Legend
So rumours over on InsideUniversal forums are suggesting this is a multi-launch Intamin with a backwards section. Mainly outdoors with several inside sections. Sounds good to me, very interested to see what track type they've gone for.

The other day they were starting to remove some of the castle theming from the original station so it'll be interesting to see what that becomes.

peep

CF Legend
It seems like a pretty realistic prediction and she's gained bits and pieces of insider info for this project so is pretty trustworthy.

I'll be shocked if that bit after the backwards bit isn't a drop track or something along those lines.