Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IOA | Unknown | Unknown Dragon Challenge replacement

Discussion in 'Roller Coaster Construction' started by Hyde, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Hyde

Hyde I Lied About My Age! Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Well this is an annoying rumor: http://screamscape.com/html/islands_of_ ... tm#Dragons

2. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

Odd - I hadn't heard this rumour before (or not consciously anyway) but I rode them a couple of weeks ago and as I was walking away down the exit I was thinking "nah, this ride is so done now - bet they rip it out"

Not that that is something I'd be particularly happy with, just that they seemed so out of place and unloved. :(

3. Jamesss

Jamesss Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Disneyland, CA
    Coaster Count:
    This is something I have been expecting to be honest and I would be unsurprised to see it happen.

I read that they're not that popular anymore and lots of people (myself included) seem to think that two giant B&Ms break the immersion of the Potter area a bit.

4. Pink Cadillac

Pink Cadillac Well-Known Member

I'm more surprised these have come to the end of their projected lifespan. Even though it feels like a sad decision, the amount of space it'll free up will be immense. Could finally get a forbidden forest <3 Just get rid of the Lost Continent too and make it all Harry Potter <3

5. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Mr CoasterForce 2016 CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Yeah I'm gonna be honest and say this sceamscape article is a load of bollocks. Not to discredit the rumour itself or the sources of info but the dragons have been punching above their weight for a while now, the axing of the dueling aspect and the bodged potter retheme have really taken their toll on the ride experience. It takes up a significant amount of space which could easily be made into something better and if anyone can improve things then it's universal. I get that the coasters mean a lot to this bloke and I respect that, I just feel the whole negative vibe was a bit unnecessary for a ride way past it times!

6. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

Indeed, while I think Dragon Challenge is both iconic and very fun, I can understand why they'd take it down. It's a fairly old ride, in the humid and hot climate of Florida, and has withstood quite a bit of wear and tear and exposure. Also, it's absolutely massive. The footprint of the coaster(s) is larger than the rest of the Wizarding World at IoA, or about the same size as the Diagon Alley section of USF - including all the backstage areas. Or roughly the size of the Islands of Adventure Lagoon, see for yourself here:
    https://goo.gl/maps/VaWiZYG2Pg42

Dueling Dragons was a really unique ride, and a masterpiece of engineering. As Dragon Challenge, it's still great, and it has one of the best queue lines I've ever seen. But I think that, after so many years, the Universal Studios equivalent of imagineers could put the land to better use. And technology has progressed too. It'd be sad to see the Dragons go, but I'm really curious for what could possibly be next.

7. gavin

gavin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Dunno
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Personal anecdote from one day almost two years ago, so it's obviously a FACT, but when I was there both sides were walk-on all day, while everything else had queues of at least 20 minutes. Yeah, there are two of them, so that will break down any queues even further, but they just didn't seem popular at all.

I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would given the generally "meh" reviews they get, but they are, now, grossly misplaced. The entrance and queueline are fine, but then you get on the rides and they're just sitting above a massive slab of concrete, with lovely views of maintenance areas. I get that it's almost impossible to theme something that big, but surely some grass, some rockwork, a waterfall, or something? Since the Harry Potter redevelopment, they now feel plonked in one of the most immersive theme park areas in the world and they really break the whole flow of the area.

Off-topic, but I agree with you. It's been a pet peeve of mine with that site for ages. It's great for news, and over the last few years has become a lot more accurate for that, but nobody goes there for the opinion of the writer. It jars with a "news" site and really has no place. Maybe it's the English teacher in me, but when I read a news story with "I think" in it, and full of personal opinions, it bugs the s**t out of me.

8. Ian

Ian From CoasterForce Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Outlaw Run
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Maybe Oakwood will buy them?

9. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Yeah, if they go - I won't be overly sad. Just hope the land is used for a worthwhile attraction or two and not just more streets with interactive wand experiences.

10. CrashCoaster

CrashCoaster Formerly ATI CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    That probably wouldn't happen. And even if they did, they'd probably only buy one of the 2 coasters...

11. SilverArrow

SilverArrow Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    BGT
    Coaster Count:
    This.

I would personally prefer a replacement coaster but we'd probably be lucky to get another dark ride and not just a themed area. *controversial opinion alert* I prefer DG to the two dark rides so my opinion is probably invalid anyway haha.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

12. spicy

spicy Well-Known Member

Yea as others have said this doesn't come as much as a surprise, it's clear this opens up a huge amount of land for more Potter. Think their days were numbered as soon as Potter was announced for that area really. They really are 'in the way'.

The fact they don't even duel anymore, the huge popularity of the Hogsmeade area yet these coasters are always walk on has probably been the nail in the coffin. Universal Orlando is becoming Potter World though, they must be hoping the new Fantastic Beast movies keep the IP going for many years to come.

It also leaves Hulk as the only thrilling coaster in the park and leaves a huge gap in the coaster line up. Shame they can't move them elsewhere rather than scrap them, these are still far superior coasters to Battlestar Galactica at Universal Singapore.

13. TommyAlex

TommyAlex Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Revolution (BPB)
    Best Park:
    Pleasure Beach
    Oakwood have just bought a used Pinifari. Surely you can not be serious.

pinfariFan likes this.
  14. Crazycoaster

Crazycoaster Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    Meh. Guess it just means that Universal will have just one not very good B&M instead of three. Rode them when I was here in september, they were very much a do once and done, despite having a 5 minute queue. Once you've had a go round on each side, you then have to do locker faff because of Universal's Burdenous loose items policy, and they're just not worth that faff a second time around.

I mean, it would be a different story if it was still Dueling Dragons, when it had the incredible queueline, and actually dueled, but it's so watered down and pointless now. Plus the SeaWorld and Busch B&M's are much better.

I do wonder though, what else could they do with the Harry Potter IP in that big space?

15. Hyde

Hyde I Lied About My Age! Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    A big Quidditch stadium-themed ride could do wonders there actually. Or even playing around with the Forbidden Forest as a concept.

16. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

^ thought that whilst mulling over the "what big Potter areas could they put there" (but not being a Potter-fan didn't come up with anything else), but since Forbidden Journey has a lot of Quidditch in that might not work.

17. Jamesss

Jamesss Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Disneyland, CA
    Coaster Count:
    Always thought it was a shame they didn't make a larger scale Hogwarts where you could actually go inside the great hall and stuff.

A Forbidden Forest area would make sense story-wise. There's a cool sequence in the second film where they ride the flying Ford Anglia through the forest. That could make a good ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

The first that springs to mind is the Fantastic Beasts sub-franchise, which will be made into at least a trilogy. Might as well build the rides while the movies are in theatres, to get the best synergy effect.

Failing that, I guess Quidditch is a good bet. Or anything Hagrid would be fond of. Or something completely new and different. The remarkable thing about the Harry Potter franchise is that the locations and lore work just as well if you remove Harry Potter from it entirely. As long as the tone is kept and the spirit is followed, the possibilities are endless.

19. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    The Forbidden Forest is a great idea that'd be amazing.

I can't believe I'm excited about two B&Ms potentially getting spited.

20. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:

If rumours are to be believed then Fantastic Beasts will be reserved for the new park that's apparently in development.
    As already mentioned Quiddich is part of the Forbidden Journey ride so it would be weird to feature it in two attractions.

I think the Forbidden forest is sounding like the most solid idea. Or maybe they'll take the Dragon Challenge theme but create a more cohesive experience for it. Totally agree that tonally you can pretty much do anything with the franchise (as long as J.K. approves!).