Lap Bar or OTSR

• Lap Bar

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • OTSR

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
When it comes to inverting, to you prefer lap bars or OTSRs? I've only done one inverting ride with just lap bars - Robin The Chiller, but it makes me want rides like Rock 'n Rollercoaster to lose the OTSR and get with the Lap Bar.

What do you think?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
ANYTHING with lap bars over an OTSR is better. There are obviously reasons behind using OTSRs, but the feeling of exposure with the lapbars really adds something extra to the ride.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
So why does intamin feel it neccesarry to include OTSR's on Kingda Ka, rita, stealth, and I305 but did not decide to on Formula Rossa?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's all because of the brakes and the speed that the train enters the brakes. Loefet can explain it very well, but basically magnetic brakes work where the faster the train enters them, the harder it the stop. Because Kingda Ka, Rita, Stealth, 305, Maverick, etc enter the brakes at a high speed, riders get thrown forward and you can feel the restraint catch you and hold you back. Rossa, on the other hand, doesn't hit the brakes as fast, so riders aren't subject to the same braking force.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Agreed, pretty much completely except... TTD?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^As well as Xcelerator.

In 05 Intamin seemed to take a sharp stance on OTSR's on everything that had remotely strong forces for braking and the reason Xcelerator and Top Thrill Dragster still have lapbars is they refused to change over to OTSR's after Intamin insisted they do. I think this was part of the reason Cedar Fair never got another Accelerator coaster (excluding Maverick as it is a "blitz" coaster).

I remember reading that years ago. But I prefer lapbars. So much more freedom and no headbanging.

andrus

Giga Poster
Of course I prefer lap bars to OTSR! I'm pretty tall meaning that OTSR pushes down on my shoulder which hurts. So I'll gladly take lap bars any day :--D Obviously OTSR are nedded on some types of rides though, like dive machines and flyers. But on an ordinary looper I see no reason why to use OTSR..

TTDfan52

Mega Poster
I just joined, so this is my first post. I prefer lap bars over OTSR because lap bars feel much less safe.

A

Anonymous

dropthefloor93 said:
So why does intamin feel it neccesarry to include OTSR's on Kingda Ka, rita, stealth, and I305 but did not decide to on Formula Rossa?
People say it's due to the speed that coasters enter the brake-run, which is kind of true, but using smaller brake fins/add more space between them will mitigate this problem by reducing the deceleration force.
It's more likely that Intamin adds OSTR's to new coasters in North America, due to the "sue happy" attitude that every one there seems to have, and the fact that the highest amount of accidents with people falling out occurs there as well (mostly due to neglect from the maintenance/ride ops), like the recent one on the Ride of Steel (with OSTR's then it would not have happened).
So it's just a way for themselves to cover their ass...

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Temleh said:
The fact that Formula Rossa is less likely to roll back must have an impact on restraint type also?

Superman The Escape is a vertical rollback coaster with lap bars. - Of course now that its Krypton and backwards they need those OSTR's to prevent everyone from dying. But I am sure there is a way they can make a lap bar that would hold people in under those forces, like one with the ankle restraints such as Ride of Steel (Bizarro scrapped those restraints) or ankle restraints such as the ones on B&M flyers. If B&M could find a way to manufacture a lap restraint system to hold riders in on Dive Machines, it would be really sick.

A

Anonymous

^ I'm pretty sure that it now have OSTRs with the latest conversion to "Superman: Escape of Krypton" but that's mostly due to they reversed the car...

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
loefet said:
^ I'm pretty sure that it now have OSTRs with the latest conversion to "Superman: Escape of Krypton" but that's mostly due to they reversed the car...

it's in there lol, but those OTSR's are pretty reasonable given the amount of backwards force.

But also, take a look at Blue Fire - No OTSR there. So why do somewhat similar rides like Maverick need them? Why can't Intamin just adjust the way they brake the ride or adjust the layouts of future rides slightly so they do not need OTSRs?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
dropthefloor93 said:
If B&M could find a way to manufacture a lap restraint system to hold riders in on Dive Machines, it would be really sick.

That would be... Awful...

The best thing about Oblivion is the extra room and airtime the OTSR the dive machine lets you have. While it may heighten fear, it would reduce that gorgeous floater to nothing :(

A

Anonymous

^^ Nothing to do with the brakes on the ride (since there are ways around that), it's just Intamin that is covering their ass so that they don't have to pay any damages after some guy sue them due to someone falling out...

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
^Hey other companies have no problem with that. You never hear of someone falling out of a maurer sohne or b&m or premier, so why do Intamin restraints suck so badly?

Intricks

Strata Poster
Because Intamin makes forceful rides and doesnt think seat and restraint design all the way through mayhaps?

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
So how is it that a brilliant company like intamin, is able to design these massive unprecedented rocket coasters, but just forgets about something like a restraint system? Seems unlikely to me, but they must know how uncomfortable those OTSRs are.

A

Anonymous

dropthefloor93 said:
^Hey other companies have no problem with that. You never hear of someone falling out of a maurer sohne or b&m or premier, so why do Intamin restraints suck so badly?
One of the main reasons why they use OSTR's today is not for brakes, falling out during inversions, etc. but to make it easier to cope with lateral movements, since it keeps your upper body from falling out.
Mack, Maurer & Söhne and other with new lap-bar designs have worked around that problem by adding sides that wrap around the rider to their seats where as Intamin's don't, but rely on an OSTR design instead.

4dp08a2qs2mbs2qjm3va00.jpg

Mack - RCDB

6fn00119bbgapfkcproaqk.jpg

M&S - RCDB

94tmg000gm5lo5cnq1e8s3.jpg

Intamin - RCDB