What's new

Intricks construction and release area

Intricks

Strata Poster
Alright, lets see if this works. Will start off this thread with posting a Wing Walker of mine called Soarin'. I started this a while ago and stopped cause I didn't know how to support a ride as per its company. So, after months of research I decided to attempt it and just take a go at it (most likely did it wrong and did a mixture of both under and over supporting...). So, here it is, one of my better thought out designs.
I know the colors are weird, but I like them...open for suggestion though.
http://img694.imageshack.us/i/110430230502006.png/
http://img845.imageshack.us/i/110430230414003.png/
http://img192.imageshack.us/i/110430230427004.png/

Download Soarin'

Also, currently starting a new project that will most likely end up being loaded with 3ds objects, but since the pc I'm using won't be able to HANDLE all that, I may be requesting some help from those that use the 3ds object maker regularly. The ride is an Intamin Dual Launch Accelorator called Silent Hill - Race to Freedom (name is still pending, but its the best I could come up with). Basically, you are out on a mission to get some stranded survivors before the siren goes off and everything becomes hell on earth. The first part of the ride would be a moderate travel section going towards the supposed area of the stranded with some turns and a few airtime hills. Soon though, you approach the warehouse they are in and enter slowly. You hear some scraping, some screams and the siren goes off and those yelling at you to leave them behind and to save yourselves. Second launch is followed with narrowly dodging Pyramid Heads sword. The rest of the ride would follow in a maverick/rita/ispeed esque layout of low to the ground turns, maybe an inversion or two and airtime out the wazoo (now you see why I need the 3ds help...i don't know how to use the program to even make a simple shaped object. Will only need the knife, pyramid heads helmet and the warehouse itself possibly) til you reach the rear entrance to the churches grounds and burst through the gates, and come to a stop before getting back inside the church. I've been working on this layout for a week and a half so far and barely have the first portion done. Suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Coloring of the track isn't final as well, but just nice to use. A couple pics of what I have done so far:

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/silenthillracetofreedom.png/
http://img683.imageshack.us/i/silenthillracetofreedom.png/

Sorry for the long post, but do give me advice please...

Edit: apparently I still can't post images ><

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
It wouldn't let me download Soarin' for some reason.

Anyway, in the 2nd picture, the supports at the bottom of that drop. No need to be A-frames, just simple vertical beams would be sufficient (the 3 A-frames I see, just replace them).

Some of the transitions look a little too tight for the wing-walker trains, such as the corkscrew, it wouldn't really work, spread and drag it out a bit more :)

I don't personally like the colours on the Intamin's. They never look as good with two colours on the tracks, better to use a single colour for the track, spine and ties :).

Also, what the the launch speed as it'll probably be easier to make it tri-rail else you'll have tonnes of supports making it look messy if it's supposed to be inside. :)

Intricks

Strata Poster
Odd...i tried it and it worked, but i'll redo it and give the link. Hopefully it works this time.

Soarin'

Ah, I didn't know that about the supports, still learning that bit. Hmm...didn't know that either, will make those changes as well.

Alright, is there any specific parts in which a dual or quad rail track would be appropriate, or should i leave it all tri-rail? The ride is a mixture of indoors and outdoors. I just hope that I can make this work like how I see it in my head somewhat ><

Ethan

Strata Poster
I have downloaded the coaster and I have to say the shaping isn't great as every time you enter another segment, it is extremely bumpy. May I suggest using Newton 2 is you don't have it already.

[/url]http://nolimits-exchange.com/news/20/newton2

However the fact you even added custom supports is a plus, because even though I use them two, sometimes I can't be bothered. Again, it was very bumpy although the layout was very interesting especially when ridden with the terrain.

5/10 im thinking :--D

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Intricks said:
Alright, is there any specific parts in which a dual or quad rail track would be appropriate, or should i leave it all tri-rail? The ride is a mixture of indoors and outdoors. I just hope that I can make this work like how I see it in my head somewhat ><

Well, usually you'd have bi-rail where there isn't much force applied to track. More supports however.

Tri-rail more force, less supports.

Quad-rail for high speeds and high lateral forces. Less supports.

Although...of course you could make it all tri-rail even with lower speeds. Just means you'd need less supports. I still can't seem to download it. I'm not sure what is wrong.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^I honestly have no idea why it isn't working for you >< Do you need me to send it to ya via a PM or something?

^^Yea...no. I tried Newton2 before and all I got out of it was an oddly shaped, curved incline (i THINK). I personally believe it takes the joy out of this if you use an outside program to get all the correct forces and proper smoothness for your creation. I'd rather go with the trial and error method than trying to figure out which box does what and what number to put where so you get what you want. Plus, I never figured out how to add in the next element of the ride itself in that program, so I deleted it and haven't looked back.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't have time to look at the track now, but I'll do it later. The download for Soarin' is working though.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Intricks said:
^^Yea...no. I tried Newton2 before and all I got out of it was an oddly shaped, curved incline (i THINK). I personally believe it takes the joy out of this if you use an outside program to get all the correct forces and proper smoothness for your creation. I'd rather go with the trial and error method than trying to figure out which box does what and what number to put where so you get what you want. Plus, I never figured out how to add in the next element of the ride itself in that program, so I deleted it and haven't looked back.

If you think Newton2 just "gives you what you want" then you're pretty far off. It takes PLENTY of trial and error to create a Newton2 track worthy of sending out to the coaster community.

What you are saying is you basically looked at it and decided it wasn't for you- that's not how things work. You honestly can't say until you get into the program and actually physically put effort forth to create something. You yourself stated that you couldn't even figure out how to add another section to the trackwork, so who are you to judge the program so very early?

Often times a track you can VERY easily create by hand would be a mathematical nightmare inside of Newton2, because every section, every element, and every force has to be carefully calculated to replicate what you did by hand. When you get to know the program is when you can decide for yourself whether or not to continue it's use, or to ignore it completely.

I have a handful of Newton2 tracks within my files that were created by some people that know the program like the back of their hand- the ins, the outs, everything there is to know about the program they know. There are elements in the track that would make you just look at it with a blank stare, and begin wondering how you could create it by hand (you can't, at least not with the amount of control hand building offers).

BTW, to add another section of track to what you already have, simply click the big button that says "Add New Section" which is located directly underneath the "Sections" panel on the left hand side of the program.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Okay, firstly of all, I know it doesn't. I tried the program for 4 days and even watched Tutorials via youtube and it just plain out didn't work for me. The version that I have doesn't have that nice big ol' button (then again, i may be wrong since its on my proper PC, not my moms that im borrowing cause she never uses it and i gotta wait til a matching motherboard pops up cause I don't want to buy half of a new pc at this current point in time) that you so lovingly described. It had dropdown menu's, and I'm pretty certain I got one of the earlier releases cause I didn't get it off of nolimits-exchange, but some random forum google procured for me after hearing about the program and being interested in it (about 6 or so months ago I think...again, i could be wrong with the time cause i have a horrible memory and that sounds just about right). So, before you decide to go all holy on me, stop and realize that I haven't redownloaded it again, nor given it another chance. Hand-building is easier for me cause it is easier for me to create the image in my head than to try and figure out the proper numerical inputs to get the same effect in Newton2. I'm horrible at math, so I don't want to put all too much effort into a PHYSICS-MATHEMATICAL program cause it would end up pissing me off...however, just so it will shut your trap, i will give it a try. If, by some random chance (a miracle), this is easier for me than hand building ever was, then I will correct my previous dislike towards Newton.

Seriously, just know and realize that not everything that works for you will work for everybody. I gave that program half a week of my life and have yet to want to do so again (until now).

Okay, now that the rant is out of my system, I will be posting an update on Silent Hill: Race to Freedom (any suggestions for the name?) later this week sometime. I've added a bit more but deleted it upon stewing on it and not actually liking it.

Xpress

Strata Poster
What I'm trying to say is just don't blow off a program because you have used very little of it. I am horrible at math as well, and the mathematics that Newton2 is based around are simple, and nothing you can't do without a calculator. There's tons of geniuses around NL-E or the other off sites that would be more than willing to go through the program, myself included (MSN me). Pretty much all of it is just adding or subtracting when you get down to the dirty stuff, with the exception of the accurate friction calculator with is multiplication and division, along with an edumacated guess.

You don't really have to use math either, you can just move levers about to create what you want, which will work, just don't try that for complex elements (like a 260* vertical heartline twist into a 180* turnaround...). The tutorials on Youtube get kind of confusing after a while, and stuff starts to not make sense or whatnot. That is where experienced Newton2 guys hop in.

Also, it sounds like you have a very pre-beta version of N2. This website has the current version of Newton2, about half way down the page. :)

One more thing, I think you might be capable of posting pics here now.. ;)

Jer

Strata Poster
Xpress shut the **** up, if he doesn't want to use Newton2 he doesn't need to **** use it, i've gotten along for 7 years without the use of a single **** tool, so why can't he. Using tools is an option not a requirement get it though your thick ego that just because you use tools, that doesnt mean everyone should use tools, in fact you're the only tool builder on the god damn site.

As for Soarin' while i'm at it: The ride is a fun idea, one i've experimented with on multiple occasions, but it needs work. The first and main thing if you need to work on your transitions, try experimenting with the handles and the build in smooth features, be sure that your handles look equidistant apart from each other. My second problem with the track are the brake runs, you shouldn't have them curving, or at angles (i've only seen angled brake runs on old Shwarzkopfs) The ride was fun though, and i look forward to seeing stuff form you in the future :)

5/10

Xpress

Strata Poster
^Chill out bro... Why are you **** cursing? :lol:

I wasn't telling him he had to use it. I was telling him that it doesn't seem fair that he just blows off the program with limited use, get yer facts straight before you go off on, literally, nothing ;) BTW bob_3_ uses "tools", and so does CrazyCoaster.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Here's an update that I may replace completely...i don't want the second launch going into the 2nd half of the ride to be too close to the loading station, but its just gonna irk me for a while I guess. I seriously feel like I'm missing something in the track so far, I'm just not sure exactly what. Suggestions are welcome at this point to help.

silenthillracetofreedom.png

Again, give suggestions on the ride and what to add or get rid of even. I've hit a roadblock and may just set this off to the side for a bit and just do random tidbits here and there.

Edit: Images aren't showing up ><
Edit edit: Not sure what I did, but it somehow worked...sigh...

Intricks

Strata Poster
ALRIGHT! I've got an update and I'm hoping the second half is gonna pull out like I want it too. First you go into a top hat followed by an over-banked turn and into a airtime hill before it abruptly ends for what I've added so far. Track changes color as well from gray to black in a (what I'm hoping) nice transition.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, I agree with Jer, that top hat is a little to tight if you're trying to get an Intamin coaster. If you look at Stealth:
5md00jokfkvqpp1si0309g.jpg

You can see how much bigger the top hat is. The other advantage of making it wider is it makes the forces and smoothness a little easier to manage.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Holy pointed tophat batman....

Yeah, try to make it wider, more parabolic, and less vertical section. Really there isn't a whole lot of track on these tophats that is perfectly vertical on all sides, usually it's just the vertical twists.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Yea, i've noticed that....gonna fix it. As to the forces bit, there is no extreme forces, it all works out perfectly (which I found very odd and extremely confusing). I knew it looked wrong, just haven't attempted to fix it. Worried that i'll "fix" it to make it look normal, and the forces are all going to be conjumbulated.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Alright, double post but what can I do about it. I attempted to fix it and this is what I got. It looks correct to me as it looks similar to the photo, but I'm not 100 percent sure. The only force issue i have now is getting the lateral g's to not go into the red when it first goes into the top hat ><

I added in a little bit more track and did some landscaping of the area as well. Enjoy