Intamin T-Bar or Intamin OTSR

• Intamin T-Bar

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Intamin OTSR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Comet

Roller Poster
I don't mean to end Blako's streak, but I was wondering what type of restraint would you want on a non looping Intamin coaster like KK ir TTD.

Do not judge on the looks, just the ride experience.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I prefer T-bars, definitely. While they're both good restraints, the upper body freedom of the T-bar is what does it for me. I don't care about being stapled- heck I prefer that actually. It's just that freedom with nothing around you that wins it for me. As for airtime, while OSTR gives good stuff, I do like the kind of upper-body airtime you get with T-bars. Your bottom half stays put, but if you just relax your arms and everything you get this cool floating sensation. I love that.

Leighton

Mega Poster
I prefer T-bars, Hydro sucks without them, and its OTSRs are the worst restraint ever. I don't mind the Accelerator OTSR, but I would have prefered T-bars.

Ben

CF Legend
OTSRs.

The T-Bars aren't bad, in fact, they're great restraints.

But, the airtime with OTSRs is that muc better.

spicy

Giga Poster
Never been on a coaster that has the T-bars, but it looks to be a good restraint.

The OTSR's are really good and as has been said, allow for a lot of freedom.

The best restraint would be the OTSR's without the 'over the shoulder bit' because that bit doesn't actually hold you into your seat at all.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
OTSRs.
Ive only ridden coasters with them but there nice and comftable for me. I heard that t-bars can be uncomftable.

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
T-bars. I really like the upper body freedom! But you say that they staple you in?!? When on Hydro you now get less airtime than before?
(off topic but has anybody else noticed that the wave on Hydro and PP have gone smaller since their accidents?

Almost

Hyper Poster
^Not Hydro's, those look like the same as Colossus's? Right? We're talking about Rita's and Stealth's.

OTSR's.

The T-bars staple hard on a bad area. The B&M counter part to it KILLS it. Even the U-Bars on Toro are more comfortable just due to the padding on them.

The OTSR's hit you in a much better area, the theigh. I can move my arse, legs and upper body fine. I've never touched the OTS part of Ka's train, ever, therefore its just like the bottom part was there making it 10x more comfortable.

(T-bars on S:RoS, U-Bars on Toro)
(OTSR's on Ka and Storm Runner)

Martyn

Giga Poster
I've never been the victim of any "crotch crushing" stapling. The coasters I've been on with T bars are Expedition GeForce, Xcelerator and Goliath. Expedition GeForce's could be as loose as you you wanted them to be really, Goliath's were tight, but that was the belts, not the bar itself, the operators would just yank the belts from the sides and pin you in, but then the bars weren't that tight, and you could loosen the belt if you really wanted to, and Xcelerator, I've heard the stories of major stapling on there, but again I didn't experience it, it was pretty standard really.
But to be honest, even if I had been severly stapled, I doubt it would change my opinion on the matter, given my absolute hatred of the Intamin OTSRs!

A

Anonymous

It depends on the ride. I much prefer the T-Bars on TTD over the ones on Kingda Ka because it makes the ride more exciting. However, I like the U-Bars on Storm Runner because they let you have more airtime.

However, I also do NOT like the SR U-Bars because they KILL your neck on the Flying Snake Dive.

I pick the T-Bar though, for the same reasons as CP6, I love the upper-body freedom. Although, I think the U-Bars on Maverick will be really nice for all the airtime it will (or should) offer.

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster
I think the OTSR's are much better. They allow for a lot more airtime than the T-Bars. On Storm Runner with the OTSR's I had a lot of freedom compared to the T-Bars of TTD. And as mewantcandy said, Maverick will have a lot of airtimw because of the OTSR's. IMO the Intamin OTSR's are a lot better than the T-Bars.

Snoo

The Legend
UC said:
As opposed to the crotch-crushing T-Bars, anyways.

The same as Martyn, i've never been a victim of this "crotch crushing" you speak of. On all my rides on MF and TTD, i've had the ability to move quite frequentley and never found any problems with riding or getting airtime.

This is all a matter of personal opinion really (or, just UC's opinion versus everyone elses.. :lol:) but I find the T-bars just fine on TTD and MF.

Hell, the T-bars add so much to TTD that, if it had OTSR's, it would hardly be fun anymore. The freedom your upperbody recieves is amazing. Yeah, your body might be a little tighter in the seat, but that hardly matters on a ride with no airtime.

Now, for all this praise the OTSR's seem to be getting, it lacks in one major category compared to T-bars... a ride that has laterals. As UC says, if a ride has strong lats (SR) your neck is in for a lashing. If it came down to it, i'd take less airtime over less comfort. I will find out soon I suppose, with Maverick having OTSR's...

Right now, T-Bars own... but we shall see.

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster
SnooSnoo said:
Now, for all this praise the OTSR's seem to be getting, it lacks in one major category compared to T-bars... a ride that has laterals. As UC says, if a ride has strong lats (SR) your neck is in for a lashing. If it came down to it, i'd take less airtime over less comfort. I will find out soon I suppose, with Maverick having OTSR's...

I kind of got that on Storm Runner, my head kind of hurt when I was done with the ride from my head hitting the sides of the restraints, but I really liked the freedom I got from them, I agree that they arent necessary for TTD since it dosnt have any airtime, but I'll bet that airtime hill on Kingda Ka is really good with the OTSR's.

Almost

Hyper Poster
^Good points there.

Ok, fine it may not "Crotch Crush" you because everyone has a different height but look where it does hit these people:

Xcelerator01.jpg

CROTCH. That area is really crucial in movement. Your hip being locked like that is uncomfortable.

Compared to:

051705-174.jpg

A very nice lay on the theigh, with no pressure forcing you into the seat like the T-Bar.

But none of this is anything compared to:

raging-bull15.jpg

The same as Martyn, i've never been a victim of this "crotch crushing" you speak of. On all my rides on MF and TTD, i've had the ability to move quite frequentley and never found any problems with riding or getting airtime.

Me either, though I'd assume crotch crushing is different for both males and females. I mean, since I'm fairly short standing at only 5' 3.5'', the bars don't come anywhere near there. If anything, they go in and around my belly button area. They might touch the two bones I have that stick out around my hips, which also prevents it from going around my crotch. Probably wouldn't hurt much if it did anyway, since I don't have male genitalia!

When May comes, when I get to ride Maverick I will be able to first hand experience both types of restraints, however right now I will assume they're both good for different purposes.

The OTSRs seem like they'd be good for coasters which have airtime, though they do seem like they give that illusion that you're confined in. Though I've not experienced it first hand yet, that has already put me off them.

The T-bar is good for the feeling of freedom, which works really well on things like Millennium Force. I'd much rather have that vulnerable feeling on the drop of MF than the OTSRs just so I can experience a few airtime hills, which don't really pop you out of your seat much anyway. If you don't push the restraints down so hard you shouldn't have a problem.

T-bars for now though the final judgement will come when I experience the OTSR.

Almost

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:

Me either, though I'd assume crotch crushing is different for both males and females. I mean, since I'm fairly short standing at only 5' 3.5'', the bars don't come anywhere near there. If anything, they go in and around my belly button area. They might touch the two bones I have that stick out around my hips, which also prevents it from going around my crotch. Probably wouldn't hurt much if it did anyway, since I don't have male genitalia!

Which is why I said...

Ok, fine it may not "Crotch Crush" you because everyone has a different height but look where it does hit these people:

LiveForTheLaunch said:
When May comes, when I get to ride Maverick I will be able to first hand experience both types of restraints, however right now I will assume they're both good for different purposes.

Until then...don't judge.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
The OTSRs seem like they'd be good for coasters which have airtime, though they do seem like they give that illusion that you're confined in. Though I've not experienced it first hand yet, that has already put me off them.

They's good for all coasters that don't have horrid laterals. And when riding, you can not tell they're there at all...

LiveForTheLaunch said:
The T-bar is good for the feeling of freedom, which works really well on things like Millennium Force. I'd much rather have that vulnerable feeling on the drop of MF than the OTSRs just so I can experience a few airtime hills, which don't really pop you out of your seat much anyway. If you don't push the restraints down so hard you shouldn't have a problem.

The T-Bar is good for a sense of vulnerability. Good for coasters like TTD and MF that have no airtime.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
T-bars for now though the final judgement will come when I experience the OTSR.

Yes, until then, don't talk.

They's good for all coasters that don't have horrid laterals. And when riding, you can not tell they're there at all...

Well, which is why I said I prefer T-bars on the coasters I ride, because of the fact that most of them would probably suck with OTSRs. I always feel like I'm going to fall out on Millennium Force's first drop so with something near my face, it would ruin the illusion.

Same with Top Thrill Dragster. It's not meant to be made for airtime so I could imagine the OTSRs wrecking the ride.

Until then...don't judge.

I made it clear my opinion isn't 100% good right now, but that's what I think before riding both types of restraints. I want to see if that opinion changes any, after riding the OTSRs.

Snoo

The Legend
UC said:
It's interesting to note that quite a few people who have actually ridden both restraint types here are agreeing with me.

Not that you're one of those people.

Might want to take a look at that little smiley I added, made it a joke? Wasn't intended to be fact? All of our experience, you miss that?

It actually does have some truth to it, while you seem to be the only one with the "OMG T-Bars suck the big one, OTSR's give me anal" approach. Almost just reacts to LFTL... which is fair.. :lol:

Comet

Roller Poster
Ok, first of all, whoever is saying that the OTSR's on Kingda Ka don't touch you at all, you're lying. If you're not lying, I want to know where you put your arms while riding. I find it more hard and annoying to put your hands up just because of the OTSR.

Also, I might just be one of the people that never had a bad experience with the T-Bar, which might be why I think that why. I honestly, can fit my fist under the restraint when riding Millenium Force, I'm not even exaggerating. Although I can't do this on TTD, and am stapled on it, I still enjoyed it more than having an OTSR.

Just for the record, I have been on rides with both restraint types multiple times.