What's new

Insomnia and your "fixes"

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So, for the past seven or so years, I've sdealt with mild too moderate insomnia. I've tried many different techniques to try and prevent it, or minimize it, but most fail.

So my question is, for anyone who has countless restless nights or also deals with insomnia, what gets you to sleep. Counting sheep? Warm or cold shower? Watching a movie or TV?

For me, I stare at the ceiling for hours, and when it's bad enough, I go the movie route, specifically, Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Probably my favorite movie, but when I turn it on, I'm out in a matter of minutes.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Insomnia and your "fixes"

Pills. Not that over the counter **** either. Mix with alcohol for a quicker effect.

You're welcome.

marc

CF Legend
Insomnia and your "fixes"

I suffer as well, have done for years.

Turn the tv off 30 mins before bed, don't look at your phone or anything just sit and relax in silence.

When you relax you will then sleep.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
What Marc says, reading a book, not a book on your phone, also helps.

Or go down the sleeping pills route, which I've personally never done.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Is it insomnia or your diet? How much caffeine do you drink? How much in the afternoon/evening? How much sugar are you eating (not fruit sugar but candy etc...). Also, what level of activity are you at during the day? A solid exercise (even just 30 minutes of walking) any time during the day will help you get sleep, even if its in the evening.

I know when I have an extra soda at dinner I lie in bed for a good 90-120 minutes before I finally fall asleep. It doesn't sound like you are staying up 72 hours at a time so maybe its a diet exercise issue?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I discovered I'm acutely sensitive to stimulants, particularly caffeine. It takes about four hours to clear my bloodstream, so I don't drink anything (or take tablets with added caffeine) from about six p.m.

I also avoid anything laced with sugar.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

marc

CF Legend

Also your state of mind will help. If you go to bed thinking you won't sleep then you won't.

Darren B

Giga Poster
I always find that having a tug helps me fall asleep, many others also feel it works too.

But, the main thing I use is ASMR videos on YouTube. Generally a woman simulating stroking my face will put me to sleep in 5 minutes. I'd seriously recommend it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Darren B said:
I always find that having a tug helps me fall asleep, many others also feel it works too.

It's true, whenever Darren has a tug, I fall asleep. It's like I'm narcoleptic most days...

tomahawk

Strata Poster
With all the meds I'm on now, the thought of adding another one that I become dependent on is a no go.

Stress is a big issue when I try and sleep and I just can't clear my mind when it's bad. Caffeine has really just started affecting me sadly, and I avoid any after 5pm most nights.

To fall asleep, I have to have a very specific setting. At least two fans on, one just on, be it a celling fan or other, and then another hitting me straight in the face.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Take a big metal bat, and hit it as hard as you can on your head.

That should put you to sleep! :p

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

BBH

Giga Poster

Have you tried a white noise machine? I find that sometimes it helps to have background noise.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I have shift work sleep disorder so I know where you're coming from. It can get really hard, and mine has been getting worse lately.

If it's a night I know I'm going to need some help sleeping typically I drink a glass of milk and take some Zzzquil and that puts me right out. I typically try to avoid light exposure before bed as well. And if it's a day I know I'll be sleeping in the morning and at night, I try to minimize morning sleep so I'm tired by the time it's time to sleep again. White noise machines have been hit and miss for me in the past.

I also often try jumping in the shower if I'm struggling to sleep. That can work wonders.

Glad to see I'm not the only CFer with a sleep disorder though. It usually makes rooming with others on trips really nerve-wracking for me. I'm always worried I'll bother them while struggling to fall asleep myself.

Intricks

Strata Poster
3 extra strength Tylenol PM works quite well for me.

That or a couple beers.

Or both as Gavin suggested.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I was awake all night trying to think of a solution for you - that didn't help ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Very funny.

Having no pain medication for the past few nights has made it even worse. Found some old muscle relaxers that I got from the hospital for pain just like this. Gotta love my life.

mcgoughchris

Mega Poster
tomahawk said:
Very funny.

Having no pain medication for the past few nights has made it even worse. Found some old muscle relaxers that I got from the hospital for pain just like this. Gotta love my life.

Those muscle relaxers are designed to help with anal sex! Ask Gavin for details. I certainly wouldn't recommend those, just regular sex works fine for me.