Which do you prefer?

• Infusion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nemesis

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Tony

Hyper Poster
Tony- you might not like it, but Nemesis IS one of the best coasters in the world.
I said in my post that I did like Nemesis.
I really like Nemesis

I do like Nemesis, I rated it a 10/10 and think it's a great ride but people overrating it so much is really annoying because it is'nt actually that intense. The first half is brilliant up until the stupid stall turn. The loop is'nt that intense and is just average. The turn after the loop is just terrible, forceless and boring and the last corkscrew was good.

it's one of the only coasters that when I come off (and you gotta be on the front seat)

Yeah, I got the front row and got plenty of rerides the 2 days I was at Alton Towers but I came off Batman wanting to go on again aswell.

While it ain't as forcefull as BTR, it's 10 times the ride.

What does that mean?

Batman starts with a great 100ft drop while Nemesis has a tiny little drop to the left.

Batman has 2 forceful loops both of which are better than Nemesis' one loop. I preferred Batman's zero-g roll which goes over the awesome asylum themeing with a great foot chopper on the exit than Nemesis' zero-g over the alien station. The 2 corkscrews were really intense, very smooth and were awesome and were both much better than Nemesis' corkscrews. They both have intense helixes but I do prefer Nemesis' helix because of the fence.

Batman only has 1 forceless little turn between the helix and corkscrew. And Batman: La Fuga has better station and que themeing than Nemesis.

I love them both but Batman is better and thats my opinion.

just that Nemesis is in another league

This is what pisses me off. Why is it in another league? It's like the shortest B&M invert and has the same 4 inversions found on most other B&M's just in a differant order. Yes it has good landscaping but that does'nt make it one of the best in the world.

spicy

Giga Poster
People dislike Nemesis just because so many people like it, thats all.

Coaster-Fiend said:
Nemesis is amazing, it's one of the only coasters that when I come off (and you gotta be on the front seat) I am just blown away by the design and visual intensity.

Spot on.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Nemesis - It's a masterpiece coaster that has been designed and constructed to perfection. There is still something that doesn't really wow me about it though. I'll be on it again on Monday but I think Nemesis is in its own league.

Infusion - After all of the negative reviews, I went on expecting nothing, and was pleasantly surprised. Despite the fact it's a tad rough, I think Vekoma SLC's aren't all that bad. The first inversion (the rollover) was a bit crud and forceless really but I liked the footchoppers on the inlines and somepoints on the ride were quite forceful like the pull-up into the Sidewinder.

Overall, Infusion was fun, but Nemesis was better. Nemesis FTW!!

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Tony said:
Yes it has good landscaping but that does'nt make it one of the best in the world.

Yes it does. Mamba isnt as high as it is for its layout, because its dull. Its because of its themeing and landscaping which is the same as Nemesis however Nemesis has a great layout.

Tony

Hyper Poster
Yes it does. Mamba isnt as high as it is for its layout, because its dull. Its because of its themeing and landscaping which is the same as Nemesis however Nemesis has a great layout.

Yes it improves rides and makes the ride experiance better but it does'nt make them the best in the world.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Let me see...

Vekoma, off the shelf, hand me down

Custom B&M, One of the most popular coasters in the country and even the world.

Easily Nemesis

Smithy

Strata Poster

A-Kid

Giga Poster
John wardley describes the section before the loop, up on the hill, as the stall turn. He would know his own ride. That info is off a video I saw with him on it, Describing elements as he goes round the track.

He also says the turn just before the brakes is a stall turn aswell.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I figured the stall turn was the turn after the loop as thats the one that it crawls through.

The turn before the loop is taken quite quickly.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qIKk80WLzM[/youtube]

Scroll on about a minuet into the video...

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
furie said:
I'm with jakemac, I actually think that SLC's are great rides, they just beat you up a bit much. I suspect that Minor_Furie (Traumatizer never gave him a clobbering) would tell you that Infusion is better than Nemesis, as he found Nemesis very pedestrian and dull. Actually, maybe he did take a massive blow to the head after riding Traumatizer.

Anyway, apart from the pain, I think that SLC's are great rides, but, as with everyone else, they just aren't in the same league as Nemesis (which still makes me feel wowed the first time I ride it in a while).

Custom SLC's can be amazing- like Jubilee Odyssey is, but the standard model... I find pretty boring and forceless. Odyssey is my no2 coaster before Nemesis in 3.

Richie said:
Nemesis beats Infusion.

Kumali beats Nemesis.

Jubilee Odyssey beats Kumali.

Basically Nemesis is a lot, LOT better than Infusion. This reflects on how bad Infusion really is because I dislike Nemesis as well :p

I agree w/ your equation- if we take Nemesis out of it.

Despite the immense awesomeness of Jubilee Odyssey, it ain't as well designed as Nemesis. Odyssey is by far the best SLC because of the insane forces in effect in the first half, plus the speed and spectacle of being so high. But in the second half of the ride it withers a little, the sidewinder for eg is crappy.

I might sound like I am contradicting myself now- I prefer Odyssey over Nemesis and Dragon Khan, but that is only because I love pos G’s. I know Nemesis and Khan are the superior coasters in terms of design. With Nemesis and Khan the whole ride is amazing and they don’t die near the end. Like Jubilee Odyssey does.

Beans

Hyper Poster
Haven't ridden Infusion yet but will in 6 weeks time when we are going up north to spend 2 days at Alton and 1 at Blackpool. Nemesis will not be beaten IMO as so far I haven't met anything that gives you the same buzz as far as inverted Rollercoasters go.....

Ben

CF Legend
Seriously, the "Stall turn" is more or less anything but. It's basically a helix. A true stall turn is pretty much the same as an overbank.

I don't think it could be less of a helix! You know the part he's talking about, right?

http://www.rcdb.com/ig776.htm?picture=15

http://www.rcdb.com/ig776.htm?picture=9

The part that is very similar to the second stall turn...

http://www.rcdb.com/ig776.htm?picture=5

And is a lot like the stall turn on this ride...

http://www.rcdb.com/ig1413.htm?picture=9

Very similar in fact. I guess it's because they're both stall turns...

Tomatron

Giga Poster
OK, if we're gonna get technical...

The turnaround element before the loop is called a stall turn, even though the train doesn't really stall or slow down significantly when it passes through it.

But it's still called a stall turn regardless of how fast the train is going, but it's not a good example of one.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Tony said:
I do like Nemesis, I rated it a 10/10 and think it's a great ride but people overrating it so much is really annoying because it is'nt actually that intense. The first half is brilliant up until the stupid stall turn. The loop is'nt that intense and is just average. The turn after the loop is just terrible, forceless and boring and the last corkscrew was good.

Physically Nemesis is not as intense as BTR, but it’s Nemesis unique type intensity (the duality of physical forces in effect combined w/ the spectacular interaction w/ the station and canyons) that is part of what gets it so much praise. Btw- who said anything about intensity alone dictating how much praise the coaster gets? Nemesis is intense, but what stands out for me is the way everything just slots together. My on ride perspective is interestingly different to yours- I think the whole layout is intense- loop included until we come to the final wingover. For me that is the only slightly weak part.

Tony said:
What does that mean?

What it means is that BTR is just a coaster on its own built onto a car park type plot of land like many coasters are. With Nemesis it’s environment, and interaction with it, is as integral to the on ride experience as the track layout itself.

After BTR- B&M would go on to build many more progressive Invert installations but never again anything that could compete with the unique experience Nemesis provides. Not until last year did they finish a new Invert that I assume was built in an attempt to recreate Nemesis’ mojo, I am of course talking about Black Mamba. As it stands BTR is just a train on a track whizzing around in the air, Nemesis on the other hand offers a much richer and multi layered ride experience because of it’s design.

Tony said:
Batman starts with a great 100ft drop while Nemesis has a tiny little drop to the left.

Batman has 2 forceful loops both of which are better than Nemesis' one loop. I preferred Batman's zero-g roll which goes over the awesome asylum themeing with a great foot chopper on the exit than Nemesis' zero-g over the alien station. The 2 corkscrews were really intense, very smooth and were awesome and were both much better than Nemesis' corkscrews. They both have intense helixes but I do prefer Nemesis' helix because of the fence.

Batman only has 1 forceless little turn between the helix and corkscrew. And Batman: La Fuga has better station and que themeing than Nemesis.

I love them both but Batman is better and thats my opinion.

…and your entitled to it, but if I were to elaborate some of my sentiments about track layout and on ride experience regarding the two-

Building Nemesis into a massive creator in the ground was a masterstroke by AT and Wardley.
If not for their no building above tree level rule, Nemesis would have not been half the ride it turned out to be. BTR does have a good 100ft drop, but BTR is pretty damn conventional layout wise, heck it was the first invert. Nemesis might only have a tiny drop (I don’t really consider it a drop) but that’s the point. Nemesis broke the mould- convention went out of the window. The layout was not like anything the preceded it and that’s before we even get onto the journey through the rocks and tunnels.

Personally I’m always impressed by how fast Nemesis’ train accelerates after seemingly no drop.
The speed just comes out of nowhere- it’s a great effect. Batman is a fine invert and the layout is tight and powerful- more forceful than Nemesis, but it can’t really compete w/ what Nemesis has to offer.

If Nemesis layout stood above ground (with massive suppports) like BTR, then Batman would be the best of the two, sure. Although its layout would still not be as interesting as Nemesis’. The track layout of Nemesis was created so to hug the terrain, the tunnels, rocks and alien installation. The resulting visual intensity means Nemesis has an extra layer that basically no other Invert can compete with, save possibly Mamba. This combined w/ Nemesis inspired and forceful layout puts it in a league above BTR.

Tony said:
This is what pisses me off. Why is it in another league? It's like the shortest B&M invert and has the same 4 inversions found on most other B&M's just in a differant order. Yes it has good landscaping but that does'nt make it one of the best in the world.

Actually, combined w/ it’s forceful and unique layout- it does. Read my above statements.
For the record the shortest B&M invert is the second- Top Gun @ Great America, California 1993.

Nemesis might only have a 42ft lift hill, and no drop but these are all things that come out in it’s favour. 30 or so seconds is just the right amount of time for the ride considering the intensity.
What is your point about the inversions Nemesis features?, Batman features exactly the same ones, albeit w/ an extra loop. Point is Nemesis’ layout is wholly unique and not even similar to any other Invert.

Like I have previously stated- I believe familiarity and the fanboys breed contempt for Nemesis amongst UK natives. I think if you took any enthusiast who had never ridden either before, and then in one day they rode both for the first time I don’t think anyone would pick BTR over Nemesis.