What's new

If they RMCed a coaster you liked...

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
When CP started RMCing Mean Streak, the reaction was one of pretty much universal "Bye Felicia." Aside from a few hardcore preservationists, everyone had been begging them to take this unsuitable, outdated, boring piece of junk and turn the structure into something special.

But let's say there was a wooden coaster out there you actually really liked. Maybe it's an irreverent, unrefined classic, maybe it's a balls to the wall Gravity Group, maybe it's something that really didn't give out the best ride admittedly but was just sentimental to you. Now imagine they decided to shutter it, rip its tracks off, modify the structure beyond all recognition, and kill this ride to repurpose it as a cutting edge precision machined RMC. How would you feel about this? Would you be upset that the ride was going away even if it was going to be turned into something better? Would you be happy to see it reborn as something relevant? Maybe you hate RMC and this is the worst thing ever? So on that note, got a few questions...

1. How would you feel if they RMCed a coaster you liked?
2. Have they RMCed a coaster you liked before?
3. Are there any coasters you like that you feel RMC has in their crosshairs?

I'm gonna hold off posting my personal experiences with this for now so fire away!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Colossus in its heyday was one of my absolute favorite coasters ever for its incredible ride, not to mention the fact that the coaster was drenched in nostalgia for me. Even though by the end the ride had become a pale shadow of its former glory, I was devastated when I heard it was closing. And to add insult to injury, the poor thing actually caught on fire, and the mere sight of that on the news was like a dagger in my heart.

Then I heard it was getting this RMC treatment and was glad it meant that the coaster would live on at least in some form. Then I finally rode Twisted Colossus, and the fact that this new ride was so much better than Colossus in its sad final days basically erased all bad feelings on my part. I adore TC, and I love that the once-moribund old Colossus lives on with new life.

Lofty

CF Legend
If they're going to amend a coaster to make it better, regardless of if I like it or not, that's only a good thing and I think every single enthusiast should have an open mind to new products and ignore the nostalgia bull**** that so many have.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
RMCs are probably always gonna be better than the original, even if the original was a decent woodie. I liked both the original Colossus and Cyclone (SFNE), but their rebirth as an RMC made them both much much better. However, I'd be skeptical on taking something like The Voyage (admittedly, I haven't ridden), and giving it the same treatment. Even though RMCing may make it a little better and more refined overall, I think I'd rather keep such a great coaster in its raw form. To me, as much as I love RMC, I still enjoy riding lots of different woodies from different eras, so I don't love the idea of completely changing all coasters of a different time for the sake of pure quality over variation. I'm not particularly attached to any coaster's historical value, but I enjoy the different experiences they can offer, even if it's essentially mediocre. So, to summarise I guess:

- Yes, an RMC is often gonna be an improvement on a woodie I like, so in many cases it should be done.
- I don't think old woodies should be wiped out, they can still be fun. Variation is important too.
- I think sometimes RMCing a good GCI, Gravity Group etc. would be unnecessary. Again, I'd rather have a variety of great coasters.

Also, I don't think having nostalgia should be ignored. I think it's perfectly normal to have more love for a coaster than its quality matches, especially if it's something you've been riding for a long time or has other special significance to you. It may be that you can acknowledge an RMCed woodie is "better" than the original, but the nostalgia you had for that one actually gave you a little more joy. I wouldn't find that too surprising. Of course, the difficulty is that nostalgia is very personal and it has to be realised that new things are often for the greater public/enthusiast good.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
1. How would you feel if they RMCed a coaster you liked?
If I liked that ride more than other RMCs, it'd be stupid, cos that's obviously like a world beater right there. New cred. But very annoyed.
If I liked it less than other RMCs, fair play.
Unless it's like a real slap in the face to sentiment. Like RMC Tivoli woodie.

Don't have particularly strong feelings for anything else old...
- I don't think old woodies should be wiped out, they can still be fun. Variation is important too.
But this is also true. Can't take it too far.

2. Have they RMCed a coaster you liked before?
Nope
3. Are there any coasters you like that you feel RMC has in their crosshairs?
Nope

GigaG

Roller Poster
Georgia Cyclone. Loved that ride, it could've been so much better had SF maintained it, had some great airtime. And then to add insult to injury, the resulting RMC seems like a half-done job. I love RMCs, but I find it a bit sad that what is, in my opinion, the best woodie to have ever been closed for RMC-ing has not been used to its full potential and may (hopefully I'll be proven wrong here) end up being the worst RMC.

And yes, I rode it in its final days. When I heard about the markings on the footers, I actually arranged to re-visit SFOG in part to get my last rides on Cyclone. And I really enjoyed it, although it really was a ride that you had to ride in a "magic seat." Still, it was good and could've been a great woodie if SFOG spent some money on maintaining it, or even finished the Topper Track job.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I was initially confused as to why Six Flags Mexico was converting Medusa. The original was actually excellent - it gave a wild ride and utilized the terrain well. Then I saw a POV from after the conversion and caught the RMC bug on Goliath at SFGAm and then I understood.