What's new

IAAPA 2019

Lofty

CF Legend
That new Zamperla Danglez coaster is so weird. It's like they tried to replicate the style of experience that Escape from Gringotts delivers, but with Hyperion trains and then threw in the typical Zamperla ****ery.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Shout out to @CrashCoaster sharing the S&S concept in the neighboring discussion thread - have concept layout now in addition to the live prototype!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm surprised PTC haven't gone under tbh... When was the last time a park bought a coaster from them? And they don't even sell that many trains either. Do they get most of their money from part sales or something else?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm surprised PTC haven't gone under tbh... When was the last time a park bought a coaster from them? And they don't even sell that many trains either. Do they get most of their money from part sales or something else?
Winter Maintenance program. Almost every PTC train out there heads back to Philadelphia during the off-season for top-to-bottom inspection and refurb. Good way to produce baseline revenue... even if train sales are in the dumper. :p

They have some cool project shots on their website of the process: https://www.philadelphiatoboggancoastersinc.com/projects/

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Iron Gwazi train reveal - I'm enjoying all of the memes related to this reveal. As I saw more photos, I realized that there are a lot more details that one might not pick up on unless you see them in person. I'm pretty lukewarm on the design right now but I expect seeing it in person will ultimately improve my opinion.

Orion train reveal - As Hyde said: Gulf livery <3 It's literally impossible to paint a Gulf livery on something and have it look bad.

Pantheon train reveal - The livery is busy, but it looks pretty good.

Bear-y Tales - I'm sure it'll be a great upgrade from Iron Reef. I'm just bummed I missed out on Iron Reef two years ago now.

Zamperla related news - Nebulaz looks like a pretty cool ride! Their new rolling stock looks alright. I haven't ridden one of their larger sit down coasters so I don't have any benchmark to base any opinions on. The Luna Park additions seem like a pretty nice addition though.

Texas Stingray train reveal - I'm not really sure what they were trying to do here...were they trying to wrap the Texas flag into the shape of a stingray? I like the livery on the paneling itself...maybe it's the off centered star that's throwing me off.

Icebreaker train reveal - I expected some orange but it's certainly not bad.

Emperor - Kudos to Sea World for not following in Six Flags' footsteps! As mentioned previously, it seems like a fitting name.

SBF Hamster Wheel car - I don't care about cred whore status: the hamster wheel looks incredible. Easily the highlight of the show.

KMG Crazy Surf - Interesting take on combining a couple different older ride concepts. Looks like it'd be worth at least a ride or two to try it out.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
So... nothing really big this year, as far as I can tell. Apart from all the train designs (which are nice, I guess, but don't really get the blood pumping), the biggest news for us enthusiasts seem to have been the new S&S concept, GCI's new track type, and the name reveal for Emperor. Then again, it's still nice to see what's on display! Great job covering it all!