What's new

How to record on a Roller Coaster?

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
I am curious to how people get away with a pov. Can someone please give me some tips to getting away with a pov in Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Busch Gardens, and other Parks? Do they usually allow you if you send an email to the park?

jolash

Mega Poster
Glennderp said:
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts! I am bursting with curiosity to how people get away with a pov. Can someone please give me some tips to getting away with a pov in Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Busch Gardens, and other Parks?

You don't, and I don't suggest it. Most people are either sneaky or have prior permission from the park. I've been on more rides e-stopped for a camera phone out than I care to admit.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
I know that ECG asks permission from the parks to film the POVs for Youtube.

If you're trying to sneak a camera onto a ride, I've not nothing to tell you, other than that there are probably consequences if you are caught. It's not something I would risk.

Casio

Mega Poster
I've only started doing it recently, but I now email the park well in advance to request it; there's no point in not doing it. Sometimes you can get away with just asking on the platform, but more often than not I've been declined. Like with jolash I've been on plenty of rides where it's been stopped on the lift because of a camera.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
I dont get the fascination with filming on rides. For the most part Alvey or Ecg have every coaster on the planet filmed. Most parks will let you film if you are media, but sneaking a camera on could get you dismissed.

Casio

Mega Poster
^I'm only really doing it to build up my website, I agree it does take a lot of the fun out of riding, I always reride without a camera if I video

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Casio said:
I've only started doing it recently, but I now email the park well in advance to request it; there's no point in not doing it. Sometimes you can get away with just asking on the platform, but more often than not I've been declined. Like with jolash I've been on plenty of rides where it's been stopped on the lift because of a camera.
Do they usually accept the email?

tribar

Mega Poster
I really don't get why people feel the need to film on rides. Between CF TPR and the parks YouTube channel you can probably find a POV of whatever your looking for. Why do people feel the need to have their own. Does it make you feel special? It can put people in risk of series injury on or force them to stop the ride.

Casio

Mega Poster
Glennderp said:
Casio said:

Completely mixed so far; Tibidabo said no, I'm heading to Malaysia and Singapore next week; Universal have said no but Times Square Theme Park (Supersonic Odyssey) have said yes.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
To second what everyone else has already said, make sure the park are OK with you filming first. Smaller parks and those in Europe generally seem to be more accommodating, whereas bigger park chains (especially in the UK and USA) seem to be more risk averse.

I've shot a few POVs over the last few years, but only when visiting parks as part of a CF group, during exclusive ride time and after making sure that the ride operators are OK with me doing so.

Make sure you know how you're going to secure the camera too. Regardless of whether or not you're mounting a camera (like some of the people I know) or shooting hand-held (like I do), parks are going to want to know how you intend to prevent the camera from going flying mid-ride. Just holding on to a camera phone and hoping it doesn't slip out of your hand isn't good enough. Remember that a flying camera could seriously injure or kill someone if it collides with somebody at high speed. Don't be an idiot. Plan ahead.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
MouseAT said:
To second what everyone else has already said, make sure the park are OK with you filming first. Smaller parks and those in Europe generally seem to be more accommodating, whereas bigger park chains (especially in the UK and USA) seem to be more risk averse.

I've shot a few POVs over the last few years, but only when visiting parks as part of a CF group, during exclusive ride time and after making sure that the ride operators are OK with me doing so.

Make sure you know how you're going to secure the camera too. Regardless of whether or not you're mounting a camera (like some of the people I know) or shooting hand-held (like I do), parks are going to want to know how you intend to prevent the camera from going flying mid-ride. Just holding on to a camera phone and hoping it doesn't slip out of your hand isn't good enough. Remember that a flying camera could seriously injure or kill someone if it collides with somebody at high speed. Don't be an idiot. Plan ahead.

I have a GoPro with Suction Cup, Chest Strap, and Head strap. From your suggestion, I think, Chest Strap seems much more safe because, well, its strapped to my chest. :--D

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
I dint get why everyone loves GoPro so much. Like yes the film quality is awesome, but the dound quality isn't that good! I film with my iPod and get better sound quality! And when the camera bounces it makes that really annoying sound and takes away from the video.

jolash

Mega Poster
CPSFMMCW said:
I dint get why everyone loves GoPro so much. Like yes the film quality is awesome, but the dound quality isn't that good! I film with my iPod and get better sound quality! And when the camera bounces it makes that really annoying sound and takes away from the video.

I think it's more of the fact that GoPro is extremely versatile, and that you can easily mount it on almost anything. Plus it's extremely durable.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
CPSFMMCW said:

Those videos with the Go Pro having low sound quality are recorded on the old versions of Go Pros. I have the Go Pro Hero 3 which has changeable back doors. One has no holes and the other one has holes.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Casio said:
Glennderp said:
Casio said:

Completely mixed so far; Tibidabo said no, I'm heading to Malaysia and Singapore next week; Universal have said no but Times Square Theme Park (Supersonic Odyssey) have said yes.

So how should I start the email?