What's new

How often do you wash your hair?

AJ

Giga Poster
How often do you wash your hair?

Every day? Every other day? Once a week? Month? Never? Baby wipe?

I wash mine every day.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Usually, whenever I shower. Which is every morning if I'm going out.

Occasionally I won't wash it even though I'm going out. But it really cannot go more than 2 days, or else it's disgoostin.

I don't get any anyone wouldn't wash it every day. It's just such a non-issue.

Getting it wet but not washing it is weeeeird and silly.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Every two days.

Joey said:
I don't get any anyone wouldn't wash it every day. It's just such a non-issue.

I have a very, very sensitive scalp. If I wash it every day I end up flakier than a Cadbury chocolate bar in a yellow wrapper. I also get lovely scabbed lumps as well.

When I had long hair it was such a bind (one reason for cutting it). My hair is ridiculously thick and needs a ton of conditioner and then it HAS to be washed out thoroughly, or I end up with my scalp falling out and a red itchy mess where my hair used to be. So hair washing for me used to be a good 30 minute job. It's just too much to do every day - 30 minutes is roughly all the free time I get each day :lol:

Anything beyond 2 days and I hate the feeling of my hair though. So I have a balance between balsted and nasty scalp and hideous and greasy hair.

Joey said:
Getting it wet but not washing it is weeeeird and silly.

This I agree with. It also makes my hair really nasty and greasy.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
furie said:
Every two days.

I have a very, very sensitive scalp. If I wash it every day I end up flakier than a Cadbury chocolate bar in a yellow wrapper. I also get lovely scabbed lumps as well.

This

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Phil, I thought you didn't wash your hair anymore? And only rinsed it?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:

I managed about 6-8 weeks I think. It massively improved the health of my scalp, but my hair didn't clear up as people say it's meant to. It did reach a plateau where it didn't seem to be getting any greasier and wasn't as bad as the first week without washing it with shampoo, but it was far from nice.

So yeah, that was a failed experiment, but... I do use a much milder shampoo now (baby shampoo), which isn't as harsh and doesn't strip my scalp too much AND my hair doesn't go greasy after two minutes as it used to. So it's helped overall :)

For those who don't know. There's a theory that if you don't wash your hair with shampoo or soap, the hair naturally cleans and conditions itself. You just clean the grime out with water. The theory says that the grease and smell stop after a month or so.

So I had my hair cut right back and decided to try it out (the idea being that with very short hair, it would be hard to notice it if it went bad). Tried and failed :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
furie said:
Joey said:

I managed about 6-8 weeks I think. It massively improved the health of my scalp, but my hair didn't clear up as people say it's meant to. It did reach a plateau where it didn't seem to be getting any greasier and wasn't as bad as the first week without washing it with shampoo, but it was far from nice.

So yeah, that was a failed experiment, but... I do use a much milder shampoo now (baby shampoo), which isn't as harsh and doesn't strip my scalp too much AND my hair doesn't go greasy after two minutes as it used to. So it's helped overall :)

For those who don't know. There's a theory that if you don't wash your hair with shampoo or soap, the hair naturally cleans and conditions itself. You just clean the grime out with water. The theory says that the grease and smell stop after a month or so.

So I had my hair cut right back and decided to try it out (the idea being that with very short hair, it would be hard to notice it if it went bad). Tried and failed :)
Yeah, see I worry that you ever thought that wasn't going to be the case. :p

The issue I had was less about your own body filth (because people do indeed vary), and more that hair is magnet for external filth. That's what I couldn't understand. I mean, think about it, it's only the covered parts of the body that you tend to wash just because of the dirt made by your own body.

I can't imagine having such a sensitive scalp like that. I'm sorry you're broken.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Once every 4-5 days now, because if I was it every days can't do anything with it.

When's used to back comb my hair all big in ever washed it, and found after about 10 days without began to sort of self cleanse? Like, it didn't looker feel greasy or anything. Weird.

marc

CF Legend
Everyday as my hair get les really greasy if I don't. Just feel dirty if I don't, plus I smoke so it stinks if I don't.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
See, it worked for Jordan :)

Joey said:
Yeah, see I worry that you ever thought that wasn't going to be the case. :p

Nah, it's one of those things that works for some people (allegedly :p ) and not for others. There are a lot of cases on the internet where it's worked, and an equal amount where it hasn't.

I didn't get it from the internet though. There was this body science show on the BBC about 23 years ago where they decided to find out how our ancestors managed. There aren't many "filthy" animals, so the idea was to find out if our bodies did naturally self clean the hair.

Their experiments were also a bit of a mixed bag - but one girl I seem to remember was horrified after a few weeks because it was so disgusting.

So no flight of fancy and just based on "complete bollocks", it's something that really does work for some people. As such, it was worth a try :)

Joey said:
The issue I had was less about your own body filth (because people do indeed vary), and more that hair is magnet for external filth. That's what I couldn't understand. I mean, think about it, it's only the covered parts of the body that you tend to wash just because of the dirt made by your own body.

That's why you rinse it with water (though again, I don't live in a filthy city, so my hair doesn't tend to get full of external crap). The idea being that the natural "hair stuff" repels the dirt and stops it from clinging. How often do cats, rabbits, chimps or wolves need washing?

Joey said:
I can't imagine having such a sensitive scalp like that. I'm sorry you're broken.

Yeah, it sucks. So does the rest of my sensitive skin. If I leave any detergent on it, I get bad hives :( Also allergic to wool - don't know if that's relevant :p