Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
RSS is on the rise with many news and blog sites.

How many do you have?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I used to have one, but visited the site daily anyway, so cancelled it. It was new, I was young and fresh and innocent... The usual story... ;)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
One. NRK news. Dunno how to change it, or how to add more. Doesn't need more, either.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I don't use RSS any more, as I frequently visit all the sites I want to check, and they all have fairly frequent content updates.

A few years ago I used to have a set of feeds on my home page from my friends' blogs. Back then, they were quite useful as most blogs weren't updated all that often, but I liked to know as soon as someone posted something.

Most of those blogs no longer exist (after the demise of G-Blog), hence I have no need for the RSS feeds any more.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Is that what that button is next to the home button?? If so, I have never used it in my life. So 0 feeds for me.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Uncle Arly said:
I still don't get it.

If you regularly look at a particular news page, or blog - you wil lsee the newer items at the top - yes? Much like CF's homepage with News items.

RSS is a way of having those new items sent to you automatically, so you don't need to log onto the site.

I regularly visit infendo for instance, and joystiq. Instead of having to log into a browser and open both pages (plus all their ads, and older news items), I use an RSS feed to an RSS reader (generally email clients like Outlook, etc will let you set them up). So you read them like you would an email, but it's just the new items as they get added.

As MouseAT said, it's useful for when there are either infrequent updates (so you don't want to be checking every day), or a LOT of updates where you need to constantly keep checking. It also means you can keep up easier on the move, as the feeds are like emails, so smaller and don't require a browser (making them good for smart phones, PDAs and the like).

Does that help any?

thx

Mega Poster
^lol, the same here. I go daily to a few news sites however, but not enough that " aRSSe Feed" would be beneficial, I think.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Uncle Arly said:
Ah, thanks Furie, it seems to be so much effort setting them up..?

Not really, it's very fast and simple. It's really designed for people who want to keep up while they're on the move, but don't have the time to sit and browse a collection of favourite sites. It turns your email client (or RSS client) into a kind of Newspaper of your favourite things, where you choose what to read based on the subject titles.

It has it's place, but not really for people who still surf in a traditional way (like most of us).