What's new

How many languages do you speak?

Bastille

Roller Poster
English fluently.

British English I can read, but not write or speak.

I can understand and speak a tiny bit of German, can read and write a bit more. Same with Spanish, but much better than German.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Only English.

I can get by with a bit of French but if we're clutching at straws to make ourselves appear more cultured, I can also fluently speak cockney.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I can get by in French. I've forgotten most of it, but if I'm in a French speaking country enough of it comes back that I can function.

Korean's gone now. Not that I was anywhere near fluent. I imagine if I ever went back bits and pieces would come back. I can still read it easily, but can't understand most of what I read.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
tomahawKSU said:
English and every seventh word of German.

So if somebody says something to you in German, do you have to get them to repeat it using the words in a different order until you've got them all and can make the sentence? ;) :p

I can speak English pretty well and I can muddle by badly using British Sign Language (BSL). I know odd French words, but not enough to get by really.

I have this odd deficiency where I can't process language when it's presented to me verbally/visually. I could always read French at school and put together a sentence in French and I can look at BSL signs on paper and understand (and sign to make myself understood) - but if somebody actually tries to communicate with me, my brain just melts and I can't comprehend. I say deficiency, but obviously I mean abject stupidity :lol:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
English, and enough french and german to holiday there, although I do struggle!

And thanks to the pleasure beach dora ride, I know how to say hello in Tanzania and China!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
EastCoasterGeneral said:
I speak 4 languages fairly well - German, English, Dutch & Spanish. I'm fluent in German & English, but understand both Dutch & Spanish better than I speak either one. My Dutch is a bit rusty since I haven't lived there since 1981, but I've had no problem understanding any Dutch I've heard since then. And you really can't get by as an American soccer reporter without understanding Spanish. I also understand quite a bit of French too, but haven't had to speak it much since the late 1990s.
For those of you wanting to learn German, don't waste your time. Spanish or Mandarin Chinese are much wiser choices IMO.
From the 'Languages?' topic posted a couple of years ago.

AJ

Giga Poster
English & pretty decent French.

Also tiny bits of Spanish, Italian, Dutch, German & Portuguese.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
caffeine_demon said:
English, and enough french and german to holiday there, although I do struggle!

And thanks to the pleasure beach dora ride, I know how to say hello in Tanzania and China!

caffeine_demon said:
The geek in me wants to say I can also speak SQL, VBA and SAS..... ;)

How to go from:

to

In four posts ;)