What's new

How many different number 1s have you had?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I know exactly how many number ones I've had - Nemesis and then Outlaw Run.

I've lost count of the amount of number twos I've had ;)

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I'd never really thought about it before I became an enthusiast.

Its been Shambhala for around 3 and half years now which was the coaster that really kick-started my interest.

Before that it was probably Stealth.

andrus

Giga Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
Colossus 2009 - 2012
Montu 2012 - 2014
Katun 2014 - ?
Oh! Another Katun-fan on the forums! I love that ride!! Forceful, majestic, fast and beautifully themed :--D It's not my number one though, since I prefer airtime. But Katun would make a damn good ride in any park!

caffeine_demon said:
until Denmark /Germany live - Nemesis
Denmark live - jun 2012 - collossos (heide park)
Jun 2012 - jun 2015 - Bizarro SFNE
jun 2015 -> now - Skyrush (was below bizarro from the 2012 trip)
So, Skyrush was riding better this year then back at the live in 2012?? Or how come you changed your mind? :)

davidm

Strata Poster
I'm a bit basic...

Corkscrew, Alton Towers 1980 - 1994
Nemesis, Alton Towers 1995 ->

(clearly there are 'better' coaster than Nemesis that I have ridden, however when it boils down to "what would you most like to ride NOW" then not sure its ever going to be beaten)

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
andrus said:
So, Skyrush was riding better this year then back at the live in 2012?? Or how come you changed your mind? :)

I just enjoyed it a bit more than I remembered - don't know if it was "running better" or my tastes changing over the 3 years or everything (except laff trak) being walk on that day or.............

BigBad

Mega Poster
Jack Rabbit
Thunderbolt
Steel Phantom
El Toro
Millannium Force
Diamondback

The first three happened as I got old enough to be tall enough to ride the big coasters at Kennywood.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
david morton said:
I'm a bit basic...

Corkscrew, Alton Towers 1980 - 1994
Nemesis, Alton Towers 1995 ->

(clearly there are 'better' coaster than Nemesis that I have ridden, however when it boils down to "what would you most like to ride NOW" then not sure its ever going to be beaten)
Someone who gets it!

Rating coasters can never be objective and there's more to a favourite than pure "its the best".

I can't rate coasters for this reason, everyone misunderstands and then assumes I'm an idiot for thinking something like Beast is awesome.

Nemesis was my favourite for a long time simply because its the only outstanding thing at the major British parks and I still hold a soft spot for it. I There isn't really any other coasters I get to ride often enough, consistently, to really have that attachment to or to know inside-out that are also good. The only thing that comes close is maybe Verbolten, which I rode a hell of a lot during opening month and got to know very well. But whilst its a lot of fun, its certainly not in the outstanding category of coasters, is it...

So yeah I guess it's always been Nemesis, really.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
The Number One Hall of Fame

Your number one. It's the crown jewel of your coaster count, out of all the coasters you've ridden it's the absolute best of them. To you, this is the coaster that every coaster in the world should strive to be.

Until you ride another one and find that it's even better.

So this thread is pretty simple. List all of your past number ones, how long they held the spot, what drew you to them, and what kicked them out of it. I'll start...

Intimidator 305/Volcano: The Blast Coaster (August 2010-June 2011)- These were my first taste of Intamin that I got on my family vacation, stopping at Kings Dominion on our way back from our usual spot on Charleston. The thing that drew me to both of these coasters was their raw power and seemingly precision design intended to get as much as they could out of the basic concept of a train carrying momentum rolling down a track. Not to mention all the parts that went into making it happen like the LSMs, cable lift, and those little water misters in I305's station I loved. These two swapped places for a long time and I still can't decide which I like better. However, I soon learned that they aren't that great. Volcano is just the same element over and over again with some footchoppers (though it still rocks) and I-305 feels like a flat ride that just loads you with positive forces for two minutes. It's massively overrated and KD fanboys and narrow-minded enthusiasts who only enjoy rides when they grey out are part of the problem. But these two coasters are credited for my little obsession with roller coasters, and importantly, specifically Intamin.

Millennium Force (June 2011-November 2013)- On my first trip on which I officially considered myself an enthusiast, my dad took my friend Andrew and I to Cedar Point as a birthday day trip on which we got to annoy the crap out of him and my sister all day. I was stoked to go to the park that might arguably be the Intamin capital of the world and unarguably the coaster capital of the world. I got in line for this thing, knowing it had less restraining and was taller than anything I had ever ridden, and eventually got to the station. In front of me, I saw these trains being shamelessly whisked into the sky over the lake as red lights activated one by one over them as extremely intimidating music riffed over in the background. Once I worked up the nerve to confront this machine...OMG!!!! It was like the other two but with an added element: airtime! I loved being ripped from my seat over the drop and slammed into the overbank. Both airtime hills and overbanks felt so fast and furious, like the train could effortlessly smash through a brick wall. Finally, we went over that little ejector hill and I felt the forces tug me from my seat, it felt so freaky and I was hooked. This coaster currently has the longest reign of any number one I've had, but one other Intamin that had garnered my attention from day one was just enough to knock it.

Cheetah Hunt (November 2013-October 2014)- I first saw the virtual POV of this thing in 2010 and to me, it looked like a generic green launched Intamin that twisted around some rocks and I didn't think anything of it. However, in January of 2011, I saw a construction update and something just kind of drew me into this coaster. I liked how it was more than a functional piece of machinery, how the engineers had gone the extra mile to make the windcatcher tower look visually appealing and work the coaster into its surroundings. It was literally like they were making art with engineering combined with funky Intamin twisty bits, airtime, and a lovely Volcano-esque roll. I was hooked and overnight, it was like I couldn't be pulled from this coaster. I was running home from school to check BGTNation, tried to convince my family to vacation to Tampa, even entered their little pretzel coaster contest with a Eurofighter trying to win a flight down to ride it. Fast forward to 2013, my dad decided we should go ride it since we didn't work a park into vacation that year and we had frequent flyer miles to burn. So one day I cut class and we flew down and we rode Cheetah Hunt! And I fell in love with it! The smooth texture, random bits of airtime and aggression, illusion of immense speed, and grace of this coaster won me over. Combine this with the animalistic maneuvers they threw in there, beautiful surroundings, and fab support structure and you literally had a machine with a soul. Despite the ridicule I received for liking this over other coasters, I continued to fawn over this lovely Intamin along with the others who have given this coaster its extremely small but dedicated cult following. However, I soon learned that just because a machine has a soul doesn't mean that soul has to be nice...
(Even though this has been knocked from my number one spot, Emily and I will still have a savannah cat named Cheetaka when we move in ;) )

The Voyage (October 2014-July 2015)- I had heard that this is one of the greatest coasters in the world but when I was finally mobile enough to start knocking out more long distance local parks, I was stoked to ride this one. In addition to loving anything nautical-themed, this looked to be a mix of Thunderhead and Beast (my two favorite wooden coasters at the time) so I knew I would be dealing with something special. I went into this ride expecting something that would feel like a terrain-hugging woodie full of ejector that felt like a steel Intamin. Boy was I wrong! This coaster felt about as alive as Cheetah Hunt, but there was something else there, emotion. This machine literally felt angry and lethal. In addition to the airtime, it hit you with it (not applied like a B&M hyper, violently hit) and laterals as it beat you around the course. Finally, it hit the home stretch and just got more and more violent and aggressive as it barreled back down its hill. Add in the fact that we got a gorgeous ride in full fall foliage and you have a coaster with the soul, twistiness, and airtime of Cheetah Hunt but with far more bite to it. However, when I rode it again on HoliWood Nights they buffed up the MCBR, and it didn't feel as invincible as it once did for me.

Fury 325 (July 2015-August 2015)- I went into this one with literally zero suspicion that it could knock Voyage. Zero. I was expecting this ride to be exactly what it looked like on paper; a longer Leviathan. I had said that had Leviathan been longer or in a better location that it would be my new number one pre-Voyage, but that was pre-Voyage. However, Fury proved to be much, much more. I remember Connor and I spent the entire day driving to end in Charlotte as the sun began to set, turning the sky orange. We stepped into the new entrance plaza (as I began to see the extent of the improvements to a park I used to think was vile) beneath an orange sky as this B&M loudly roared over the sound of intense orchestral music in the plaza built around the state line, the setting sun gleaming off of its modular polygon track. Well we got to the back of the park, got on, and what I experienced blew me away. This didn't feel like any old "you've ridden one B&M you've ridden them all," this was far more violent and aggressive than anything I ever imagined Claude and Walter doing. Those overbanks took literally zero speed off of the coaster, that trebel clef felt and looked like the train was just disappearing into a glowing green pit out from under me, but the finale of the ride are those three airtime hills. This isn't ordinary Behemoth/Intimidator-style airtime, what I got was nothing short of the most powerful ejector they've ever done. It was like Voyage but with more powerful ejector air and more rerideable. I was reluctant to keep it in that spot but it held its own throughout the weekend and after ERT the following night, I was certain it had its right to chill in that spot...for a month. Yes, this was my shortest lived number one due to my big trip being positioned less than a month after it.

Skyrush (August 2015-NOW)- This was the crown jewel of the credits I would be getting on last summer's #Penn2015 trip after I had made it out to be the most controversial coaster ever. I had people promising it would be my new number one, I had people telling me not to get too excited for Thighcrush, I even saw this crazy girl add me on Facebook who had ridden it almost a thousand times. My Skyrush experience began with me leaving Kennywood that evening and rocketing down the Pennsylvania turnpike (which is a marvel of engineering mind you) blasting crackly radio alone in my car for three hours on my way to this coaster I was really stoked to be riding. That day, I got on Skyrush both excited for the prospect of a new number one and terrified for the horrible experience I was told was about to follow. And right away, that single moment that I felt that first powerful ejector hill yank me to the sky, clamping my legs against the sketchy bars, held over on that wing seat over the gorgeous creek beneath the buildings of downtown Hershey, I knew that this was a special experience. I literally thought that this coaster was trying to kill me, it felt so angry, aggressive, violent, and powerful. Add in the beautiful setting, gorgeous structure, and feeling of exposure I love and I had what I knew was my perfect coaster. Not to mention a chain of events starting with my posting about ERT on Facebook ended up bringing my current girlfriend and I together causing us to literally start calling ourselves #SkyrushCouple, so it has a ton of sentimental value now. Right now, I don't think there's any coaster out there violent enough to knock this for me.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: The Number One Hall of Fame

I want to say this topic exists somewhere, but don't count on me.

Raging Bull(2008(?)- June 2014): This coaster predates my coaster enthusiasm. In fact, before my first ride, I was terrified of this. A super tall ride without shoulder restraints? Only a madman can think of something like that! But I eventually rode it, and I guess it became my favorite via process of elimination?

Outlaw Run(June 2014-June 2014): This was the crown jewel of my first out-of-state coaster trip. It was my first RMC, and boy did it deliver. Insane ejector, the view, the drop, inversions, all amazed me. And then my home park did something similar...

Goliath(June 2014-July 2015): Just weeks after my Missouri trip, SFGAm finally opens this beast. I remember the day I rode this. I just got out of summer school, and went to the park to ride Goliath on it's opening day. It was overcast, and I was wearing my Goliath Sweater. Me and my brother waited in the 3 hour line to ride this thing. We were put in the back row of the Orange train, and we were off. This thing was just so big. Insane drop, unexpected airtime, the seat ripping hill, and the beautiful zero-g stall just all morphed together to make this beauty. Not to mention, when you're walking along the path to ride it, this thing just comes out of nowhere and dominates your view from there. When I started reading reviews from seasoned enthusiasts, I started to notice the things they pointed out that I didn't notice at first. Then the next year, I was planning a trip to Indiana/Kentucky. A fellow goon on Skype told me that a certain ride would take my #1 spot...

Voyage(July 2015-Now): And was he right! The main attribute for this was the length and size of this thing. It looked so much bigger than it was, it was full of airtime, it was secluded, and it was just pure fun. Not to mention that it had a walk on line all day. I didn't get to ride this at night, but if I did, I think it'd secure it's place at #1.

So, yeah. That's that.

Olaf

Mega Poster

Ohh that's a hard one, let's not include all those zierer kiddie coasters that were my favourites before I got into coasters [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Pegasus (every year before 2006)
Vogelrok (2006 - 2007)
Vliegende Hollander (2007 - 2011)
Goliath wab holland (2011 - 2012)
Xpress (2012 - 2013)
Typhoon (2013 - 2014)
Blue Fire (2014 - 2016)
Lost Gravity (2016 - now)

Lost gravity will probably lose its title as 1 for me this summer, because I'll go to Phantasialand to ride Taron

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I've merged this topic with the old one, hopefully we can continue the discussion in here.

jayjay

Giga Poster
My list begins with some local childhood parks

- Antelope - Gulliver's Warrington (late 90s - 2002)
- Whirlwind - Camelot (2002 - 2006)

Suddenly jayjay finds coaster enthusiasm

- Nemesis (2006/03 - 2006/09) - First visit to Alton Towers. A whole new world of what theme parks can offer is opened up to me and my favourite ride starts changing rapidly
- The Ultimate (2006/09 - 2007/04) - The madness that is. I do my lists purely on enjoyment, and despite most of everything being wrong with The Ultimate, it does pack a huge amount of enjoyable insanity
- Kumba (2007/04 - present) - Not found anything to top this yet (but this year promises to challenge that). Intense until the end - a very well designed and substantial ride

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
1. New Texas Giant (August 2012-July 2014)- I rode this for the first time in 2012. It was my first RMC, but I didn't know who RMC was or what it did at the time, because I wasn't quite an enthusiast at the time. After my trip to Six Flags over Texas that summer and riding NTG, I created a CoasterForce account. NTG is what really sparked my interest. Such a long ride, with ejector air through out. Now, it is considered one of the "worst" RMCs, but yet it is still a damn great ride.

2. Goliath SFGAm (July 2014- current)- I rode this beast for the first time July 2014. After much anticipation, it lived up to the hype. First full day at the park, we sprinted to the Goliath and we were on within 10 minutes. Backrow ride, wow.

3. Potential future?- I have a major cred run starting in exactly one week from today. Coasters that COULD potentially be my new number 1, but I won't count on it too much because I don't want to be disappointed or let down- Outlaw Run, The Voyage, Millennium Force, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, MAYBE even Storm Chaser. Looks like the weakest RMC that I'll be getting on, but it's an RMC so I can't count it out yet.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I've always had X2 as my n°1 since I became an enthusiast. Before that I guess iSpeed and Katun were really close together as my favorites, but I wasn't ranking coasters back then, so meh... I'm also not saying X2 is the best thing ever, but I'm yet to find a coaster I would enjoy better (Shambhala came really close, heck, it would probably even take over as my favorite if it had been located in some other park).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'll requote back my number 1's. As Joey and david alluded to earlier in the thread, I approach a number 1 at the roller coaster I would ride Right Now.
Hyde said:
Hmm, I really only have had three major ones:

- Millennium Force
- Maverick
- RF II

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Since I became an enthusiast I only had 2 n°1 and its the two Intamin Megacoasters in Europe. This might very well change with a trip in the US this summer though :p

Goliath, Walibi Holland (June 2005 - November 2015)

My first airtime machine and the first truly "wow" coaster I've been on. It is very intense at the bottom of the first drop and right next delivers a fantastic airtime if you sit at the front. The Stengel Dive can gloriously snap you on a good run and the final bunny hops provide a nice conclusion to the ride. Ridden this one over 200 times and still can't get enough! Too bad its middle part isn't forceful enough imo...

Expedition GeForce (November 2015 - Present)

But EGF takes the airtime to the next level. Contrary to Goliath, it is relentless and just has more to it. The forest setting and some support headchoppers make the experience even more impressive. Oh, and that first drop is just hilarious at the back!

nealbie

CF Legend
Hmmmmm, earliest I remember loving roller coasters would be...

1. Dragon, Legoland Windsor (1998) - I was very excited by the construction of the Legoland Castle during 1997 and when a roller coaster was attached to it at the beginning of 1998 I fell in love. The Dragon at Legoland, and by extension Legoland itself, will always hold a place in my heart at the genesis of my enthusiasm.

2. Nemesis, Alton Towers (1998-2007) - Later that same year, we went on a family holiday in the peak district and suddenly we appeared for a surprise day at Alton Towers (no doubt because I had become obsessed with theme parks and that this was a Neal day of the holiday). Despite only being 7 I was already considerably taller than 1.4 metres and I experienced Nemesis and Oblivion, et al, for the first time.

3. Dragon Khan, PortAventura (2007-2010) - Having convinced my family to make a bit of a detour as part of our summer holiday in Spain, PortAventura happened and so did the delightful Dragon Khan. Mega.

4. Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Asterix (2010-2014) - I knew there was a decent wooden coaster at Asterix, but nothing can prepare you for the view that meets you when you get to the top of the lift hill! Hidden at the back of the park with the trees, so much airtime, so much fun.

5. Helix, Liseberg (2014) - Helix blew me away on the Sweden life and knowing it would have a chance to take back its crown a few weeks later, I placed it as number one to see if Zeus could take it back.

6. Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Asterix (2014-) - And it didn't disappoint. Still amazing and I can't wait to get back at the end of May (next week, yay!). Zeus!! <3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hixee said:
2006 (July) - 2010 (July): Montu
2010 (July) - 2010 (August): El Toro
2010 (August) - onwards: Boulder Dash
Boulder Dash is no more...

2016 (June) - onwards: Lightning Rod