What's new

How do you see France (and the French)?

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Posting here in a mostly British-US community - with also a lot of other nationalities - I'm a bit curious about how you perceive my home nation, France, and its inhabitants. And what clichés do you have about us too I'd be very interested to discover that!

Are we really seen as arrogant jerkasses often depicted in many fiction works? Does the "romantic" and fancy lifestyle reputation of France still shines?

I guess Brits who live close to France have a less idealized vision of their neighbor (and also because of the centuries-long rivalry and poking between the two countries), but with so many British people reportedly coming here to retire I'm not sure.

And do you know some famous French people, past and present btw? :D

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
When I think of France I think of Paris, food, fashion and pretty rural areas. I love your chateaus and the language sounds funny. The riviera is pretty too. Oh and of course, Disneyland Paris. I don't know much about the people, but they smoke a lot.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I really like France and have never encountered the arrogance that gets mentioned so often.

I've found that if you attempt to say something in French, then people appreciate it and are very accommodating. I've seen staff in train stations etc. pretend not to understand when obnoxious Americans just yell slowly at them in English without so much as a "bonjour", then speak fluently and politely to me when I haven't behaved similarly. Fair enough really.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Only done Paris and wasn't a fan at all.
Need to try some other areas before judging as a whole.

Croissants were a worthy contribution to the world.

Can't think of any famous people other than presidents and a couple of tennis players.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Edith Piaf. Legend. Dalida was fabulous as well.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Never been there, but from what I heard: The people are nice as long as you are not in Paris. Apart from the people it seems to be a nice city though.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Everyone wears a beret, a stripy jumper and a string of onions round their neck, has a swirly moustache and rides around on an old bicycle all day with baguettes in a basket on the front. You're always within earshot of somebody playing an accordion and every hotel room in Paris has a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower.
How am I doing so far? ;)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ You forgot the snails and frogs' legs for every meal.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Mais oui, mon frere, mais oui.
L'escargot et les cuisses de grenouilles, c'est obligatoire, non?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Never been a great fan of northern industrial France and I usually try and drive though it quickly to get to Germany or wherever else. Most of the rest of France is lovely though. I've stayed in some western villages near Colmar (close to Europa Park) which have been jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The food that way is also astonishing in terms of quantity and quality.

I have a friend who lives in Chartes and that is a lovely town. We went to her birthday party with a load of locals who were all kind and friendly to us. I asked her once if the French have the same feeling of rivalry for the English as we do for them and she said that France is more interested in its rivalry with Germany (no idea if that's a widespread stereotype or not?)

I've also been down to Nice and the southern coast which is a bit pretentious to be honest, not my kind of scene, but nice enough.

Going to the Loire Valley for a week in early July and that is looking gorgeous. Lots of lakes and woodland and chateaux everywhere.

Having said that, Metz is probably the worst place I've ever been to. We drove past an abandoned block of flats with one side torn down and the rooms exposed to the air and...people were living there. Felt very sketchy.

I have come across some animosity about 'having to speak English' but not as much as is the British preconception. TBH, I completely agree, if people can't be bothered to even attempt your language you have a right to be miffed. On the other hand, my French is awful. I never had a single French lesson at school (which is shameful when you consider I live an hour and a half from the ferry). But I at least have a go.

Things I like about France:
- Lots of stonkingly beautiful countryside and old villages
- things seem a bit more chill in terms of health and safety/restrictions (like when we went to the Pointe du Hoc and I couldn't believe you can just walk about on all the old WWII sites with all the barbed wire everywhere - in the UK that'd be behind a rope with National Trust shoving cream teas at you from the side).
- There's very little traffic outside of the cities and actually, Paris is not that difficult to navigate round, I find it much easier than London)
- there are tonnes of places to pull over along the main roads (not always full service stations but lots of places with just a picnic site and/or toilet)
- Lots of places are dog-friendly, especially in the south.
- The sterotype of the French accent sounding romantic to English ears is true to some extent

Things I dislike:
- You can't take dogs into national parks, which kind of scuppers any mountain walking plans
- the amount of silly laws in place for drivers (you currently need a high visibility vest for everyone in the car, two warning triangles, a breathaliser kit, a pollution sticker telling you what emission level the car is...it's nuts). And before the ferry, the gendarmerie lie in wait specifically to fine unsuspecting Brits who don't have all the correct stuff. No other country I've been to does this
- the whole nationalistic thing (having a quota for French language music airplay - is that even a thing any more?)
- the obsession with tabbouleh. Just WTF?
- France is the absolute worst place to be veggie. Even Asia is easier. Pretty much every meal has meat in it except for salad and ratatouille.

Wow, that was a bit longer than expected!

Last edited: