What's new

Hong Kong Space Mountain

Martyn B

CF Legend
I must say, I do kinda agree with SC here. I know I haven't ridden them, but the Florida Space Mountain does look really retro, and quite tame (seen plenty of video's with the lights on).

I'm just surprised at how many people think its fab, and a lot better than Paris etc. I love Space Mountain at Paris, so I'm going to have some high expectations when I do visit Florida!

One more thing about Paris' though, it was my first 'big' coaster, so I do have a special liking for it. BUT, even I was a bit miffed when I rode with no music, and it was actually dire.

Same with RnRC, no music on that makes it feel like a Rollerskater.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Florida's is nothing special to be fair, but at least it doesn't try and kill you. The Paris version should be better, but it rides like ****.

The "California" layout (California, Tokyo, Hong Kong) is excellent. It's smooth, quite forceful, fun and goes on for ages.

Jake

Strata Poster
I haven't done the one in Paris (shock horror!), but I'm generally not a fan of inversions (especially Vekoma's with inversions) so I can't see me being the biggest fan.

Hong Kong's is AMAZING. I know it's the same as California's, but it felt so much faster and smoother.

Florida's is pretty meh. It is two creds though, gets kudos for that <3.

I like the fact they don't have inversions. They're fun, smooth, fast, thrilling (but family) rides, which is what Disney is all about.

choluby

Roller Poster
gavin said:
When I went it was coming up to Halloween, so they had the whole Ghost Galaxy thing going on, which was amazing.

And yeah, best Space Mountain out of the ones I've ridden (all of them except California's)

If I ever bother with DLP again, I would happily skip the piece of **** they have there.

What do they do for the ghost galaxy?

.....................................................................................................

They can't actually maintain M2 because its stuck inside a building with loads of delicate effects.

California's SM and all the other ones except M2 are just normal rollercoasters.
Yes they are inside a building but they don't have all those effects to clear away first and its would to be be quite hard to put all the effects back in without breaking/replacing them which costs the even more money.

I am on M2's side but I still think DLP were very stupid to not retrack it with a less rough box track type style like on the other Space Mountains when they replaced the scenery. :x

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ I would say new trains would be a much better/cheaper solution than re-trackingt. There's been a lot of positive comments on Vekoma's latest train design...

choluby

Roller Poster
^They painted the trains a different colour- it would have been really easy to replace the trains then.

It would of made the ride 100% better and it wouldn't cost them too much more :idea:

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
I found it interesting that the ones based on Walt's original design (Florida, Old California, Paris, Tokyo) are seem to be rougher than the newer ones done by Vekoma (Hong Kong, New California). I'm basing this on your opinions, I have only ridden the one at Florida. Isn't Vekoma known for its roughness? The smoothest Vekoma I've ridden was the Rock 'n' Roll roller coaster in Florida.

choluby

Roller Poster
caffeine_demon said:
I must be a wuss then - I hated the DLP version! Florida's was nothing special, but didn't try to give you a migraine!

You're not a wuss, I admit, M2 does try to kill you :(

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Venom2053 said:
I found it interesting that the ones based on Walt's original design (Florida, Old California, Paris, Tokyo) are seem to be rougher than the newer ones done by Vekoma

You've got 3 completely different designs in there:

Florida (the original - actually 2 coasters)
California/Tokyo/Hong Kong (completely different to Florida, and much better)
Paris (basically a Vekoma looper)

The only one that you ever really hear complaints about roughness on is the looper in Paris, which is the newest one apart from Hong Kong.

So yeah, not really sure what you're on about.