What's new

Hong Kong Disneyland | Iron Man Experience

peep

CF Legend
This morning it was announced that Hong Kong Disneyland will be the first Disney park to get a new attraction based off a Marvel property. The new Iron Man attraction will be themed to a Tony Stark expo and will be a similar attraction to Star Tours.

iron-man-experience-poster.jpg

Source: http://www.insidethemagic.net

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Hong Kong Disneyland to get Iron Man attraction - 2016

I hear a foghorn:

BOOOORRRRRIIIINNNGGGG

I hate that because Disney own Marvel they now feel the need to put it in the parks. Stupid Disney.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Yay?

While I'm glad that they're continuing to put a new spin on existing Disney ideas as opposed to just copying and pasting, and also glad that they've decided to squeeze this into Tomorrowland instead of using up a larger amount of unused space that could be put to other uses later, I've never been that excited by the Star Tours rides. They're good for simulators, but they're still just simulators.

Having said that, I haven't ridden them since the upgrades, and since this is supposedly expanding on the technology even further, it will hopefully turn into something better than I'm imagining at the moment.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't push this for 2015 though, what with it being the 10th anniversary of the park. I guess it's also the opening year of Shanghai Disney though, so it sort of makes sense to hold it off.

marc

CF Legend

It was going to happen sooner or later tbh, expect the same thing to open in Paris if they have not stated an exclusive thing.

I thought they would have gone for an Avengers thing tbh rather than just one character.

At least it won't turn up in Orlando unless ioa lose the rights.

Not really much to say, watched the films thought they were crap but it's a big brand and there will be many happy people with this news.

Just a shame it has to go in the main park, but it's great to see more investment there and there is no where else for it to go.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

Probably be decent ride but I'm not really a fan of Marvel and Disney together.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

marc said:
It was going to happen sooner or later tbh, expect the same thing to open in Paris if they have not stated an exclusive thing.
Well, the film is set in Hong Kong so that'd be a bit weird (but not too unlikely). The most recent Iron Man film had special scenes shot for the Chinese market so I assume the character is big in that region.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Marc said:
I thought they would have gone for an Avengers thing tbh rather than just one character.

Just a shame it has to go in the main park, but it's great to see more investment there and there is no where else for it to go.

Iron Man was huge in China, so it actually makes a lot of sense. The last film made $100m in the first two weeks alone, partly down to, as Robbie said, creating extra scenes with Chinese actors especially for the Chinese market.

It shouldn't be too obtrusive to be fair. It'll be shoved in a small space behind Buzz Lightyear I'd imagine. Id rather see it stuck in a far corner of Tomorrowland than see a whole Marvel Land take up one of the spare areas they still have available for expansion.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

nadroJ said:
I hear a foghorn:

BOOOORRRRRIIIINNNGGGG

I hate that because Disney own Marvel they now feel the need to put it in the parks. Stupid Disney.

And if we all went by your logic, Disney would be bankrupt within a week.. Why invest 3 billion in Marvel or whatever it was, and then do nothing?

Now thats stupid..

Universal do this all the time and yet nobody complains about that.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

A very old topic, but since we don't actually have a construction topic yet - though it's cropped up in various different places - I've just updated and moved this into construction.

On Friday, I went on Autopia for the first time since my first visit back in 2007, mainly to try and get a look at construction of Iron Man. They've completely covered it up, so you can see very little, but by pushing the camera through/behind the sheeting, I managed to get a few crappy photos.

From outside, this is all you can really see:

SAM_0024_zpslsdswvtv.jpg

It doesn't look like much at all, but this will just be the entrance to the area, which actually opens up further back behind the railway line and is a lot bigger than I'd thought it would be.

SAM_0023_zps7cfkptau.jpg

SAM_0021_zpsdfckogpu.jpg

SAM_0007_zpsvsgxpwex.jpg

SAM_0006_zpsuy9gmwbq.jpg

SAM_0010_zpsd4fav3sg.jpg

SAM_0014_zpsiy37gtl0.jpg

SAM_0008_zpsc3z43if2.jpg

SAM_0022_zpsbbz5dlfe.jpg

Google maps has recently been updated, too, so you can see how big this thing actually is. The narrow strip at the bottom is the entrance. They seem to be hiding the train/bridge with a load of concrete at the moment, which I'm assuming will be themed later.

iron%20man_zpss4s59sl5.jpg

Just noticed this from HKDL's website as well:

The Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters FASTPASS service is suspended from February 17, 2014 until late 2016 due to the construction of the Iron Man Experience.

I'd say that's a fairly good indication of when they're expecting the ride to be opening - LATE 2016.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It feels like an eternity, but I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Hong Kong Disneyland announced today that ride system tests by their expert team of Walt Disney Imagineers are a go as construction nears completion
source

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The ride system may be near completion, but it's nowhere near ready. I was there a week ago and it's still a building site.

Ben

CF Legend
I think it says it all when nobody cares about the first major Marvel addition Disney have done.

Like, great IP, boring ride. Wonderful.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Ben said:
I think it says it all when nobody cares about the first major Marvel addition Disney have done.

Again, what's this ride going to be? 4D dark ride like Spidy or Transformers or something else?

Yeah, so far, this ride doesn't look that exciting...

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
oriolat2 said:
Ben said:

Again, what's this ride going to be? 4D dark ride like Spidy or Transformers or something else?

Yeah, so far, this ride doesn't look that exciting...
It'll be a Star Tours ride themed to Iron Man.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^which for some inexplicable reason has taken about 60 years to bloody build.

Lofty

CF Legend
It does seem to have been in construction for AGES now, which makes me think there may be a little more to the experience? Quite potentially preshow rooms or something else? But still, doesn't justify the 2/3 year construction time.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I popped in for a few hours after work yesterday to do the Halloween stuff again. The Iron Man shop is now open, and all of the construction boards have been taken down.

Still no indication of opening dates, but I reckon they’ll announce something very soon, probably after the Halloween stuff is finished.

DSC08950_zpscfdbczvg.jpg

DSC08952_zpsgjqnkegs.jpg

DSC08954_zpsd2dkay45.jpg

DSC08957_zps9rxjie2p.jpg

DSC08958_zpsh5z4eymt.jpg

DSC08960_zpsilgpvo5o.jpg

DSC08961_zpsxjyjzlvn.jpg

DSC08963_zpsgtprarwj.jpg

DSC08965_zpsray919dp.jpg

DSC08968_zpsdr8fq1gq.jpg

The “Tech Showcase” is a new for me though. I knew, obviously, about the main ride, but hadn’t heard about this other thing, or maybe I had and forgot. The space doesn’t look like it can be too big, and there’s what looks to be a timing board outside it. I’m guessing some kind of crappy exhibition, or something lame like that Asimo s**te in Florida. Or was it California? Can’t remember now.

Interestingly, it seems that Autopia is closed for good. All signage and the entrance have been removed and it’s not on the park map anymore. There’s also nothing on the website about maintenance. It does seem strange that it just disappeared though, with no kind of announcement. I guess it’s the first time a major attraction has closed here, but even when they changed The Golden Mickeys to the Wondrous Book show, they made a big deal out of it and had “Goodbye” events and stuff.

DSC08962_zpsgyin7jop.jpg

It was easily the best of the Autopia rides thanks to the landscaping, but it took up a huge space in a relatively small park. Having said that, they still have plenty of empty space for development yet, so who knows? It’s looking like a Tomorrowland/Marvel expansion though I guess. It would make sense to do something there than go into the totally undeveloped land. Pure speculation on my part, but something to keep an eye on anyway.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I think the screen above the shop is interesting, but i don't know if it's too 'in your face', especially at night. The art deco bit is cute too. They've made an effort to make this architecturally bland IP more engaging. The Autopia looked nice compared to the others and I really liked the topiaries towards the end, but it's an outdated concept that takes up way too much land. I agree that it's likely to be more Marvel.