Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hong Kong Disneyland | Iron Man Experience

Discussion in 'Other Ride Construction' started by peep, Oct 8, 2013.

1. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    This morning it was announced that Hong Kong Disneyland will be the first Disney park to get a new attraction based off a Marvel property. The new Iron Man attraction will be themed to a Tony Stark expo and will be a similar attraction to Star Tours.

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.insidethemagic.net

2. nadroJ

nadroJ Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland to get Iron Man attraction - 2016

I hear a foghorn:

BOOOORRRRRIIIINNNGGGG

I hate that because Disney own Marvel they now feel the need to put it in the parks. Stupid Disney.

3. gavin

gavin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Dunno
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:

Yay?

While I'm glad that they're continuing to put a new spin on existing Disney ideas as opposed to just copying and pasting, and also glad that they've decided to squeeze this into Tomorrowland instead of using up a larger amount of unused space that could be put to other uses later, I've never been that excited by the Star Tours rides. They're good for simulators, but they're still just simulators.

Having said that, I haven't ridden them since the upgrades, and since this is supposedly expanding on the technology even further, it will hopefully turn into something better than I'm imagining at the moment.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't push this for 2015 though, what with it being the 10th anniversary of the park. I guess it's also the opening year of Shanghai Disney though, so it sort of makes sense to hold it off.

4. insanecoastervids

insanecoastervids Active Member

Best Coaster:
    medusa
    Best Park:
    six flags

Looks great.

5. marc

marc Well-Known Member

Coaster Count:

It was going to happen sooner or later tbh, expect the same thing to open in Paris if they have not stated an exclusive thing.

I thought they would have gone for an Avengers thing tbh rather than just one character.

At least it won't turn up in Orlando unless ioa lose the rights.

Not really much to say, watched the films thought they were crap but it's a big brand and there will be many happy people with this news.

Just a shame it has to go in the main park, but it's great to see more investment there and there is no where else for it to go.

6. ATTACKHAMMER

ATTACKHAMMER Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:

Probably be decent ride but I'm not really a fan of Marvel and Disney together.

7. Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Air
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:

Well, the film is set in Hong Kong so that'd be a bit weird (but not too unlikely). The most recent Iron Man film had special scenes shot for the Chinese market so I assume the character is big in that region.

8. gavin

gavin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Dunno
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:

Iron Man was huge in China, so it actually makes a lot of sense. The last film made $100m in the first two weeks alone, partly down to, as Robbie said, creating extra scenes with Chinese actors especially for the Chinese market.

It shouldn't be too obtrusive to be fair. It'll be shoved in a small space behind Buzz Lightyear I'd imagine. Id rather see it stuck in a far corner of Tomorrowland than see a whole Marvel Land take up one of the spare areas they still have available for expansion.

9. Screaming Coasters

Screaming Coasters Well-Known Member

And if we all went by your logic, Disney would be bankrupt within a week.. Why invest 3 billion in Marvel or whatever it was, and then do nothing?

Now thats stupid..

Universal do this all the time and yet nobody complains about that.

10. gavin

Best Coaster:
    Dunno
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:

A very old topic, but since we don't actually have a construction topic yet - though it's cropped up in various different places - I've just updated and moved this into construction.

On Friday, I went on Autopia for the first time since my first visit back in 2007, mainly to try and get a look at construction of Iron Man. They've completely covered it up, so you can see very little, but by pushing the camera through/behind the sheeting, I managed to get a few crappy photos.

From outside, this is all you can really see:

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like much at all, but this will just be the entrance to the area, which actually opens up further back behind the railway line and is a lot bigger than I'd thought it would be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Google maps has recently been updated, too, so you can see how big this thing actually is. The narrow strip at the bottom is the entrance. They seem to be hiding the train/bridge with a load of concrete at the moment, which I'm assuming will be themed later.

[​IMG]

Just noticed this from HKDL's website as well:

I'd say that's a fairly good indication of when they're expecting the ride to be opening - LATE 2016.

11. Pink Cadillac

Pink Cadillac Well-Known Member

It feels like an eternity, but I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    source

12. gavin

Best Coaster:
    Dunno
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    The ride system may be near completion, but it's nowhere near ready. I was there a week ago and it's still a building site.

13. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I think it says it all when nobody cares about the first major Marvel addition Disney have done.

Like, great IP, boring ride. Wonderful.

14. oriolat2

oriolat2 Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Again, what's this ride going to be? 4D dark ride like Spidy or Transformers or something else?

Yeah, so far, this ride doesn't look that exciting...

15. GuyWithAStick

GuyWithAStick Captain Basic Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Holiday World
    Coaster Count:
    It'll be a Star Tours ride themed to Iron Man.

16. gavin

Best Coaster:
    Dunno
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    ^which for some inexplicable reason has taken about 60 years to bloody build.

17. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    It does seem to have been in construction for AGES now, which makes me think there may be a little more to the experience? Quite potentially preshow rooms or something else? But still, doesn't justify the 2/3 year construction time.

18. Pink Cadillac

19. gavin

Best Coaster:
    Dunno
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    I popped in for a few hours after work yesterday to do the Halloween stuff again. The Iron Man shop is now open, and all of the construction boards have been taken down.

Still no indication of opening dates, but I reckon they’ll announce something very soon, probably after the Halloween stuff is finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The “Tech Showcase” is a new for me though. I knew, obviously, about the main ride, but hadn’t heard about this other thing, or maybe I had and forgot. The space doesn’t look like it can be too big, and there’s what looks to be a timing board outside it. I’m guessing some kind of crappy exhibition, or something lame like that Asimo s**te in Florida. Or was it California? Can’t remember now.

Interestingly, it seems that Autopia is closed for good. All signage and the entrance have been removed and it’s not on the park map anymore. There’s also nothing on the website about maintenance. It does seem strange that it just disappeared though, with no kind of announcement. I guess it’s the first time a major attraction has closed here, but even when they changed The Golden Mickeys to the Wondrous Book show, they made a big deal out of it and had “Goodbye” events and stuff.

[​IMG]

It was easily the best of the Autopia rides thanks to the landscaping, but it took up a huge space in a relatively small park. Having said that, they still have plenty of empty space for development yet, so who knows? It’s looking like a Tomorrowland/Marvel expansion though I guess. It would make sense to do something there than go into the totally undeveloped land. Pure speculation on my part, but something to keep an eye on anyway.

20. Pink Cadillac

I think the screen above the shop is interesting, but i don't know if it's too 'in your face', especially at night. The art deco bit is cute too. They've made an effort to make this architecturally bland IP more engaging. The Autopia looked nice compared to the others and I really liked the topiaries towards the end, but it's an outdated concept that takes up way too much land. I agree that it's likely to be more Marvel.