What's new

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The ride is already trimmed, but the trims only shave off fractions of a mile per hour and are for very fine control.

As for the lapbars, they're going to be worked on. The fix should be relatively simple as well.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I honestly don't understand why it's so difficult for every company other than B&M to figure out restraints. It seems like everyone else tries too hard.

SkyRush is ... crazy. There are no words. It is terrifying, utterly insane and brilliant. But the restraints literally hold you down about half way up your thigh and it's no exaggeration to call it painful. You have to go to a lot of effort to stop yourself from being in agony.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
^Agreed wholeheartedly.

The only thing I'll add is I did get used to it a little bit on the 3rd ride of our ERT. Glad Hershey has said they won't trim it more or go to OTSR.

Snoo

The Legend
It's a shame too.. the epicness of the ride was just overshadowed TOO much by the pain in my thighs.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to figure out ways to ride something to make it better. I guess thats why I didn't rank it up there like the rest of the guys on the trip.

Lofty

CF Legend
Snoo said:
It's a shame too.. the epicness of the ride was just overshadowed TOO much by the pain in my thighs.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to figure out ways to ride something to make it better. I guess thats why I didn't rank it up there like the rest of the guys on the trip.
Precisely what I said a page (or couple) previous.

It's a shame to hear all the positives of this coaster being shunned by the horrible restraints :(

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I agree, Lofty.

It seems that if it weren't for them, this would be a incredibly high ranking coaster. So hopefully, they will sort the restraints out and it will be fine :)

Snoo

The Legend
From what I've gathered from talking to employees and my own observations on the restraints is that they were simply designed wrong. You can feel/see the groove your legs are meant to go into, but the restraints simply don't go down far enough.. giving the pin feeling with the edge of the bar. I've never heard a collective sigh of relief when the restraints were lifted like our first ride on SkyRush.

BUT.. the good news is they have heard the call of the masses and are looking into getting them replaced/redesigned.. and NOT putting on OTSR's (Which is the best thing I've ever heard.)

coast

Roller Poster
Just got back a few hours ago from a day and a half at Hershey and all I can say is HOLY **** WOW! My new #1 coaster, dethroning El Toro. This thing is just a beast, the airtime is so ridiculous that I swear it took my virginity three times. Imagine feeling that airtime hill El Toro takes over Rolling Thunder every time Skyrush changes elevation. Unreal. It all starts with that first drop from heaven and it just flies into the brakes.

Now about the restraints.... Before my first ride, I was really preparing for the worst in terms of thigh pain but was really pleasantly surprised to find it not painful at all! Sure, they get tight during the ride but I wouldn't say it was painful at all. Only time they bothered me was when the train sat on the brake run, they felt pretty uncomfortable and I could feel some pressure on my legs. Even then though it never classified as "pain" to me. I did see a few people complain while getting off though that their legs hurt. I would say it was about 15-20% of the riders, majority of them being smaller adults and teens. I really did not see any of this "sigh of relief" when trains were rolling in, almost every train came back to the station cheering and clapping. I think it really just depends on your body type as to how they will feel.

I'm going to catch some serious crap for this, but I actually liked these restraints. I loved the free feeling they allowed, they are very minimal in terms of how much of your body they cover. Ironically, this is why people HATE them. I definitely could see why and I understand. With the serious ejector the ride creates, I felt the lapbars let my body feel that airtime very freely while keeping me in at the top of my thighs where I needed to be secure. I don't think simply reducing the angle of the restraint to be abit more flat (a popular suggestion floating around) will help at all for this reason. I really think it will make the ride unsafe as the angle that they're on is what keeps you from flying out.

To those who have done nothing but write huge posts and argue about the pain: I don't get it. What did you expect from a 200 foot coaster that pulls serious G's? Did you seriously think it was going to feel comfortable? The complaining some are doing is hysterical. Go ride Trailblazer if you want to ride a comfortable roller coaster (hell, even that isn't comfortable so actually nevermind). It makes no sense at all! People have LONG wanted an intense ride at Hershey and here it is. As enthusiasts, you want to ride intense coasters, and this is definitely intense. I actually read through this topic, and it's NOT anybody here, it as at other sites who will go without being named. Some of the things I'm seeing are beyond the boundaries of stupidity. I just can't believe that enthusiasts think that it is too intense and that it needs to be tamed.

Now about the capacity. I was timing it while in line, it takes on average 3 minutes between train dispatches. I see alot of blame on the ride ops, but its not their fault at all, they were actually doing really good job once everyone was actually boarded onto the train. It's leading up to that point thats the issue. The same side design kills this ride and the rotating bag drop is a huge factor in this. They are actually in the process of replacing these with regular cubby-like bag drops to try and keep things moving. You also have to add in that the GP is mostly made up of idiots and take their sweet time leaving the ride platform. The whole process is bad, but I give major props to Hershey for really trying to make this work! They are definitely trying their best!

I must say though Snoo, when I opened this thread I expected you to love it almost as much as I did (you have been on way more badass coasters than me, after all), and I'm kinda disappointed that the pain ruined it for you, especially after seeing you say it's like "having sex with the hottest woman in the world". Like I said, it's simply the body type and it's a real shame that its the restraints that stops it from being a top ride for you and others. Hopefully it gets fixed this offseason.

The park confirmed that they will not trim the ride any further, so don't worry about that folks. :--D

All in all, if you haven't ridden Skyrush yet, get to Hershey ASAP! The ride delivers, it's really incredible! Well done Hershey and Intamin!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
coast said:
I'm going to catch some serious crap for this, but I actually liked these restraints. I loved the free feeling they allowed, they are very minimal in terms of how much of your body they cover. Ironically, this is why people HATE them. I definitely could see why and I understand. With the serious ejector the ride creates, I felt the lapbars let my body feel that airtime very freely while keeping me in at the top of my thighs where I needed to be secure. I don't think simply reducing the angle of the restraint to be abit more flat (a popular suggestion floating around) will help at all for this reason. I really think it will make the ride unsafe as the angle that they're on is what keeps you from flying out.

I think Intamin are doing the usual "learning with a finished product" thing. They're still trying to perfect their restraints. The pure lapbars from before are decommissioned due to the whole "throwing people out" thing (not Intamin's fault, but they are doing the correct thing and making the restraints more "stupid proof").

People have been complaining for years about their OTSR and how they need the lapbars to make the rides excellent. So they're trying and this is their first attempt at a lapbar to hold you in on a high-g coaster. They work (nobody has been thrown out), but they're not comfortable and guest comfort is required. I don't know if they can add some padding or something, but no doubt they'll be working with Hershey to make sure that they come up with a solution that works.

coast said:
To those who have done nothing but write huge posts and argue about the pain: I don't get it. What did you expect from a 200 foot coaster that pulls serious G's? Did you seriously think it was going to feel comfortable? The complaining some are doing is hysterical.

I've done Bizarro at SFNE and Expedition GE Force - renowned as two of the world's most powerful airtime machines and both were 100% comfortable. Now, it may be that Skyrush pulls more G's, but even so both those coasters pulling higher G's would still be comfortable. Hence, having been on two tall, fast, high-g coasters that are comfortable to ride (and give masses of ejector and freedom) I would expect comfort from Skyrush too, but Skyrush is an anomaly. Hence why people are complaining - Skyrush isn't right (yet).

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
No longer ThighCrush! Word is that SkyRush is running with the new restraints. I'll be going there as soon as possible & let you know what's up.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

They are the same as before, just really soft and squishy. Apparently during the first two airtime hills you can feel the bar groing through the foam, but general consensus is the new restraints are much better. Talk of trimming is still popping up a bit though, but with far less complaints than beforee maybe another slight mod to the restraint will fix the rest.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Great news about the changed restraints. Do we know if they are completemy new, or if they've just altered the original ones?

Intricks

Strata Poster

I would guess altered as they are still the same shape and sit where the others did....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Ethan

Strata Poster
Re: Hersheypark |

_koppen said:
Intricks said:
Talk of trimming is still popping up a bit though

No, it is not.

And you are sure of this how? I'm sure you haven't read every single forum on the interent. I'm sure Intricks has read different forums to you.

Intricks

Strata Poster

_koppen, talk of trimming the ride has been rampant since it has opened. The reviews from most riders were a consensus of "Too painful, we refuse to ride again". It was to the point in which by midday, the line was non existent and it would have been a walk-on.

Hershey is going through great lengths to keep the ride as is. I know for a fact that the trimming option is still there, but they are awaiting results of the softer restraint (which seems to have fixed a majority of the discomfort).

I personally believe we would end up seeing OTSR before Hershey is forced to trim this (as they had both designs rendered).

So yes, while every other forum out there may not be speaking of it, those from within the park have mentioned that the trimming option is a last resort.

And I honestly believe we wont be seeing that happen anytime soon.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I was really hoping they would change the restraints so they would lie where you can clearly see they are intended to lie. On your waist.

I guess this is still an improvement so that's always a plus

Lofty

CF Legend
At the need of the day, saying "There's still talk of trimming" means nothing really, people read into it much more then they should. There's also talk of them trimming Zipper Dipper, I've mentioned it, therefore there's talk of it. Just don't read into what people say too much ;)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Hersheypark |

Intricks said:
...talk of trimming the ride has been rampant since it has opened...
Maybe on the internet or among your friends or whatever, but not among the ride staff, park management or the ride engineer - who I got to spend about 15 minutes with, one-on-one, discussing this very topic.
He told me that they (he & the park management) want to keep the coaster itself exactly as is - a highly intense ride aimed at thrill seekers - and it will not be neutered in any way. He also said that they had considered OTSRs & he even made the trip to Kings Dominion to check out the ones on I305, but came to the conclusion that it would change the ride too much & the idea was nixed - completely.
He went on to say that the current modification to the restraints might not be the final version & they would continue to work with Intamin for as long as it takes to get them right.
So let the internets talk of trims or OTSRs all they want, but neither are going to happen.