What's new

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Wheels were burning a lot faster than every two weeks, that's actually pretty good in terms of length for wheels on something like that. I know last summer at WoF Mamba went through a stretch (when it was hottest and most humid) that nearly every few hours wheels were getting replaced, and it doesn't run near the speeds that I305 does. Well, that and it was designed to be the fastest of the three between itself, Wild Thing and Steel Force, which is a reason for the eating of wheels, but still. I305 was the wheel killer.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Don't those wheels cost a ridiculous amount of dollars apiece? I think TUC once stated that the wheels on Stealth cost £2000 to replace, can't remember if that was per car, per train or for all the trains combined, and doing it a few times a day would be... well, financially impractical.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Maverix said:
_koppen said:
I305 was trimmed because people kept passing out on it, this thing is just a little hurtful because of the restraints.
While this was a complaint, I think the main reason it got trimmed was because the wheels would melt and need to be replaced every two weeks, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I really hope this doesn't get trimmed, I'd be fine with OTSR's even, but not trims.

The main reason for the trimming was that people that rode it kept blacking out. Trust me, the ride still eats A LOT of wheels.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

Antinos said:
Does anybody know if Skyrush's lapbar is formed anything like Millennium Force's or El Toro's? If it isn't, I don't see why they can't just swap for something with that form. If it is kind of thick like that, they might have to go to a clamshell restraint like B&M.

They are flat and angled oddly so that only a corner of the restraint is what hits your thighs. They have no form at all like what Force has.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

_koppen

Hyper Poster
I really hope that they can change out the lap bars, so they are more anatomically shaped. Would not be a bad thing to get the I305 restraints either, but hopefully we see some improved lapbars.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
_koppen said:
I305 was trimmed because people kept passing out on it
Not true. Riders blacking out had nothing to do with it & people still black out on it to this very day.
They had to put the trims on because the wheels were melting from the intense friction caused by the curve at the bottom of the first drop. They changed the curve & removed the trims & now the wheels are no longer melting.

As far as the station & loading/unloading, it's a frickin' zoo & causes unnecessary long wait times. However I was able to take advantage of it & get five rides in a row before a ride op caught on & told me to go wait in line (which was only about two minutes at the time).

Here is when they had to do a emergency stop because one of the riders getting off had not cleared the platform when the train was dispatched.

dd79bbacee80ed42cd0a6507.jpg

And these rotating bag drop bins are pretty cool, but also cause more delays in the off-loading as people either have to wait for them to rotate around or their stuff is in a different section & they have to spin it themselves to get to their bags.

67c6958f6134196babb66d6b.jpg

The restraints will hurt a lot. I can't tell you how many people were complaining & said that they would never get on the coaster again because of the extreme pain at the top of your thighs.

bd4c6b40c1854d9247fc55ce.jpg

Even if you set the restraint very loose, it will clamp all the way down on the first drop (or any drop for that matter). So I quickly learned to pull up on the handles throughout the ride to keep from getting stapled.

86b6e28f95f4702487ae1c25.jpg

Finally, as promised, here's how the cable is layed out.

88eb377630b92dec46267e7e.jpg

It starts the return to the station under the bridge...

bc19a45b371631d0e9a91ee5.jpg

...going through the small hole in the Comet bridge support...

3ce64ae369874473367bd381.jpg

...it then goes underground at the near embankment...

5955083a5407911b48cd25b7.jpg

...into the steel tube at the base of the lift hill...

23903f3ac894ea16295be785.jpg

...and into the station.

f7e9039b52e31e5a97131851.jpg

I've got lots more photos on MyCF, if you want to check them out.
http://www.coasterforce.com/my-cf/4799east-coaster-general/photos/album?albumid=148

Intricks

Strata Poster

Some of the Group 2012 people are honestly acting a bit snobbish over this, saying that the GP should learn how to handle a little pain.

Arent rides supposed to be comfortable AND enjoyable?

Lofty

CF Legend
The thing is, what you said ECG about having to hold up your restraint is ridiculous, you shouldn't have to do that, you'd spend most of your ride in either pain, or concentration trying to stop the pain, you won't end up properly enjoying the experience. That's jus bad in my opinion.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
So what makes it painful is the lack of surface area the restraints have on your legs forcing all of the pressure into a small area on your body?

(if that made sense)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^The restraints are long & flat, but only the closest edge of the restraint pushes against your upper thigh. Maybe if the restraints were tilted at the same angle as the seat the pressure would even out over entire thigh, but as is they just don't cut it (well they do cut into your upper leg).
Lofty said:
The thing is, what you said ECG about having to hold up your restraint is ridiculous, you shouldn't have to do that.
I never said that you should have to do that, nor do I think anyone should have to do that. I simply had to do that to keep from being stapled by the restraint. :roll:

Mambaa

Roller Poster
I've yet to ride it, but from what I'm hearing, I don't really want to make the trip up there for a bad coaster. If it is painful and not pleasuring, who cares if I get the credit.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Just rode it twice today. It's an otherwise fantastic ride experience marred by simply awful restraints that cut into your thighs every time there's airtime. They need to rework those pronto.

Otherwise, it's an excellent, albeit short, ride. Smooth, yet intense.

Lofty

CF Legend
ECG said:
Lofty said:
The thing is, what you said ECG about having to hold up your restraint is ridiculous, you shouldn't have to do that.
I never said that you should have to do that, nor do I think anyone should have to do that. I simply had to do that to keep from being stapled by the restraint. :roll:

I didn't mean it as a Universal thing, I meant you simply, you felt like you should lift the restraint to stop it hurting, you shouldn't have to do that on a ride, it hinders the enjoyment factor, that's what I meant, not that everyone HAS to do it. :roll:

Intricks

Strata Poster

Tomahawk, go watch the Fan Reactions. If some of those hippos fit, Im certain youll be fine.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
tomahawKSU said:
Question for those who rode it, how many walks of shame did you witness
Zero & I rode it for six hours straight. So no worries my friend. :wink:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Jerry* do you have any pictures of the restraints? I'm struggling to imagine what they look like and how they're digging into you.

*Or anyone with links to pictures. :p

reddude333

Giga Poster
Shame to hear about the restraints but I'm sure I'd ride it multiple times given the chance. And thanks for the thorough explanation (and pics) of the cable return. Quite complex if you ask me but very interesting.

Error

Strata Poster

For those still wondering, I got my 100th credit on it. So amazing, new #1.

Sent while out and about at Hersheypark

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Ohh Intamin what have you done?! Ert proved Skyrush to be an incredible ride, but those restraints are gonna kill someone! They're less lapbar and more thigh bar, so that you literally snap your whole body with every violent turn. They have to staple you in so badly to stop you coming out that you don't properly experiance the airtime. Result: pain and the feeling you are going to be thrown from the seat at any second. I have never been so afraid on a ride. Ever.

So if we don't want a dirty trim, otsrs would work, stopping the wipping of your spine, but then, you'd loose some of the out of control feeling that makes it so good. Now clamshells, that would be good.