What's new

Heide Park Colossos retracking (2019)

balrog

Mega Poster
I'm sure you know, but I'm not,sure Merlin would give a ****. If they can steel market it as a woodie, and knowing that the visitor won't ever known the difference, the lower running cost and extra gimmicks are probably more important arguments for them.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Didn't RMC state they no longer will be doing Topper track and instead focusing on Ground Up woodies and IBox installs?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
What do you mean? They haven't discontinued the Topper track system, I'm sure a park will build a ground up RMC topper track in the future.

balrog

Mega Poster
He means RMC are using topper exclusively for their own ground up creations, and doing all conversions with I box only. I don't think this is it though. As I understand RMC don't want to do regular wooden track replacements anymore (which used to be one of their main activities before the conversion craze I think) and focus on making their own coaster, ground up or conversions.
Anyway, if a park offer them a big juicy comtract for a conversion, bit require a topper instead of I-box or the deal is off, I'm sure they'll accept. I-bix or Topper, it doesn't change much on their end.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I realise they have to pay for the (allegedly expensive) refurbishment of Colossos, which is why I thought it was an interesting question to ask in the first place.

You said it would be 'interesting to see if they invest in a big new ride before 2020' and asked 'What do you guys reckon?'.

Sorry, but I don't reckon you'll get anything big this side of 2020. With Colossos investment this year, opening next (costing the equivalent of a large, new ride) I can't see anything else happening that quickly. You said yourself that the last big thing was Flug in 2014. Before that Krake was 2011. My common sense guess would be something big for 2021/22.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Merlin's CAPEX is a 'peak' investment every 4 years. So unless anything changes to the investment cycle Heide Park's next investment will be 2021.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Ghostbusters for 2017 was a high investment year for Heide Park. With Colossos coming soon after in 2019 I can't see anything major until at least 2022. The Colossos project has most likely come at the expense of whatever the next major addition was going to be. We will probably only see small investments such as the Peppa Pig Land they are getting for this year in the meantime.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
You said it would be 'interesting to see if they invest in a big new ride before 2020' and asked 'What do you guys reckon?'.

Yes, I thought the context was obvious though. As in 'now that they're spending this much money on a refurb of Colossos, do you guys reckon they'll get a new big ride before 2020?'.
Which is why I thought your first answer was odd, and why I replied like I did.

Anyways, if Ghostbusters indeed was that next "big" investment after Flug der Dämonen, then I guess it pretty much answers my question.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Heide Park's Facebook page has announced track replacement work will begin in the middle of April. They have promised to provide regular updates on social media.
29216410_10155316735601629_2044584791457660928_o.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
I love that graphic - it's really cool. I just hope that they actually do keep on top of the social part of this project in the same way that Energylandia and Phantasialand do.

Matt N

CF Legend
Does anyone know if the ride will be renamed Colossos: The Return when it reopens, or will it just be called Colossos, as per before?